SB800-TTL, AA, A, GN...n' others etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
satan_18349 said:
What does the above functions normally used? for which situations? i know about i and D-TTL..but the rest? :dunno:

Read the manual.. its all in there..

gadrian said:
Read the manual.. its all in there..
Hey...OF COURSE i did...BUT i didn ask for that simple ans..btw if you give this answer to everyone, think don't this this kind of forum liao..Thank you. :nono:

satan_18349 said:
Hey...OF COURSE i did...BUT i didn ask for that simple ans..btw if you give this answer to everyone, think don't this this kind of forum liao..Thank you. :nono:
Simple questions, simple answers, I think gadrian's advice is not simple, it just holds the truth and knowledge that you require. There are no hardcore rules to which mode in which situation, you - as the photographer, will need to decide and know what to use.

It hurts when you're told to do something that you should and have done. But if you didn't want that kind of simple answer what'd you expect? An essay? Or thesis, please don't treat the forum like a ask a question and expect answers freely, do a search and don't have to be so hostile.

Yes i know that, i'm not being hostile...its just that the manual did not actually tells you the exact things that i wants to know...so seeing that this forum got almost all the answers you can look for from all the experts here, hoping that they can give some advice to a newbie like me...if not i won't ask this questions in the 1st place...
btw espn, i ve seen you giving lots of good advice before... :think:

satan_18349 said:
Yes i know that, i'm not being hostile...its just that the manual did not actually tells you the exact things that i wants to know...so seeing that this forum got almost all the answers you can look for from all the experts here, hoping that they can give some advice to a newbie like me...if not i won't ask this questions in the 1st place...
btw espn, i ve seen you giving lots of good advice before... :think:

yar like buy buy buy! ;p

gadrian gives some of the best advice around.

but here's what you want.

personally, i use TTL most of the time, usually TTL-BL. When i want to use NON-iTTL slave flashes, i use A/AA mode, cos there isn't any preflash. It also works better for situations with RAPIDLY changing lighting, so that TTL isn't fooled. M/GN mode is used when i want to precisely control all the lighting from all the flashes, like when in a still-life/studio setup.

leonzhu said:
yar like buy buy buy! ;p

gadrian gives some of the best advice around.

but here's what you want.

personally, i use TTL most of the time, usually TTL-BL. When i want to use NON-iTTL slave flashes, i use A/AA mode, cos there isn't any preflash. It also works better for situations with RAPIDLY changing lighting, so that TTL isn't fooled. M/GN mode is used when i want to precisely control all the lighting from all the flashes, like when in a still-life/studio setup.

Oh great! Thanks alot man esp on the A/AA mode, at least i know whats best to use... :cheers:

satan_18349 said:
Oh great! Thanks alot man esp on the A/AA mode, at least i know whats best to use... :cheers:

no problem.

i still think it's best to experiment (shoot more!) and find out what works for you. what i use it for and how i use my flash might not be how you like to use yours.

just remember, TTL has pre-flash, and A/AA and GN/M modes don't. TTL depends on the camera, the other modes are independent of the camera.

Actually, the best person to ask is Thom Hogan. He wrote the book on the Nikon flashes. He said he will be updating it for SB-800 and SB-600. I'm not sure if his D70 eBook has a write up on the various modes. I learnt them from his D100 eBook which I found essential in maximizing the use of my camera.

Watcher said:
Actually, the best person to ask is Thom Hogan. He wrote the book on the Nikon flashes. He said he will be updating it for SB-800 and SB-600. I'm not sure if his D70 eBook has a write up on the various modes. I learnt them from his D100 eBook which I found essential in maximizing the use of my camera.

:devil: watcher, are you saying that i'm not qualified enough to comment?!?? :angry:

haha, actually, thom hogan is a good reference. kudos, watcher.

Watcher said:
Gd...thanks thanks!! :thumbsup:

leonzhu said:
:devil: watcher, are you saying that i'm not qualified enough to comment?!?? :angry:

haha, actually, thom hogan is a good reference. kudos, watcher.
That was what he meant, didn't Watcher? :angel:

Kidding... kidding... :bsmilie: I haven't finished reading Thom Hogan's D100 eBook though :bsmilie:

satan_18349 said:

Didnt mean to sound harsh or rude.. but your question was quite what is all in the manual.. unles you had a specific application question..

I believe Leon has answered you accordingly.. lol..

No hard feelings..

gadrian said:
Didnt mean to sound harsh or rude.. but your question was quite what is all in the manual.. unles you had a specific application question..

I believe Leon has answered you accordingly.. lol..

No hard feelings..

Yap yap...i noe...i didn't meant to sound harsh too..Thanks anyway! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.