sb800 too bright

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAVE3110

Sep 29, 2006
i am a newbie in photog.
currently using d80 with kit lens and sb800.

for the pass few week i tried takin pic with sb800 and the flash seems working fine.

but this time around, when captured a pic, the flash seems too much over.

i am using the TTL mode. and i set it to iso 400, but the sb800 is seing iso100.

so whats wrong actually?

What do you mean by "the SB800 is seeing ISO100"?

What do you mean by "the SB800 is seeing ISO100"?

nono forget abt the iso100, i know where to change it now.

now i figure out that i can only see TTL mode when i cycle through the mode.
i remember last time was using TTL BL mode.
but seems like its gone.

whats happened?

nono forget abt the iso100, i know where to change it now.

now i figure out that i can only see TTL mode when i cycle through the mode.
i remember last time was using TTL BL mode.
but seems like its gone.

whats happened?

Hmm. Unrelated to this, but you might want to check your flash exposure compensation, and also your technique. Were you bouncing flash? If so, what surface were you bouncing off? How close is the subject? Are you using a bounce card/diffuser?

TTL is basic flash metering, performed through firing a preflash just before the shutter curtain opens that is accepted and read through the lens (hence, the name), such that the correct flash output is made when the exposure actually starts.

TTL-BL is used when you use the flash for fill-in flash, to lift some shadow on the subject; you don't use it all the time.

If you haven't figured it out yet, or don't think you have done anything wrong, then I suggest that you bring your camera body and flash to NSC for them to check it out. My D200 went crazy on TTL and TTL-BL with the SB800 attached due to no fault of mine; NSC had to recalibrate it. Funny thing is that some senior technician tried to 'convince' me that it automatically overexposes in TTL and TTL-BL and that I should not be using it. I had to insist that he bring another D200 out to do a comparison test. I sometimes wonder if the guys at NSC know what they are doing????

i am a newbie in photog.
currently using d80 with kit lens and sb800.

for the pass few week i tried takin pic with sb800 and the flash seems working fine.

but this time around, when captured a pic, the flash seems too much over.

i am using the TTL mode. and i set it to iso 400, but the sb800 is seing iso100.

so whats wrong actually?

loose connection, check your terminal contact.

If you haven't figured it out yet, or don't think you have done anything wrong, then I suggest that you bring your camera body and flash to NSC for them to check it out. My D200 went crazy on TTL and TTL-BL with the SB800 attached due to no fault of mine; NSC had to recalibrate it. Funny thing is that some senior technician tried to 'convince' me that it automatically overexposes in TTL and TTL-BL and that I should not be using it. I had to insist that he bring another D200 out to do a comparison test. I sometimes wonder if the guys at NSC know what they are doing????

Sometimes, they know very well what they're doing. It's called "jiak zhua". They don't wanna do work so they give you these "convincing" excuses.

wah lio... dont telll me its hardware problem...... very sad.

this friday i gonna go frne wedding n i am the camera man.

if let them check, how fast could it be?
would there be any charges?

to check for connection problems :

1. Off your camera.
2. Off your flash.
3. Mount flash on camera.
4. On flash. See the readings.
5. On camera while looking at the flash lcd screen. Verify that the readings on the flash change or react to the camera being turned on.

jiggle the flash a bit. sometimes i also get connection problems.

Clean the contacts too.

Try the AA mode. See if it's good enough. Can use for your wedding shoot in a pinch.

wah lio... dont telll me its hardware problem...... very sad.

if let them check, how fast could it be?
would there be any charges?

dun bother, no way they cannot make it in time.
Just test your flash first, make sure you know what is going on with your flash. check for connection problem, test with other camera also, see got same problem?

i remember last time in ttl mode, when i zoom in n out the lens, the flash lcd reading will change accordingly, seems like its not changing at all.

i remember last time in ttl mode, when i zoom in n out the lens, the flash lcd reading will change accordingly, seems like its not changing at all.

The auto-zoom function only works when your flash is pointed straight ahead IIRC.

Oh dear, try to see if there's another friend with backup equipment as well?
shouldn't be charged by NSC as flash should still be under warranty, unlikely to get it back on the spot though

well problem solved.
went to NSC just now and they reset the flash setting.

in fact i did that too yesterday, he told me the condition is, detach the dome and attach the flash to the camera. then only press the reset button..

weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.