sb800 or sb900 ???

chipppp

May 29, 2009
i am quite new with photography and currently using a d90. purpose to get a flash is to play with it as i dont own a flash. dont really have a budget for it but of cause it would be better if i could save some money getting a sb800 since i am trying out external flash. what do you say? :)

I say go wif sb900 as sb800 is one thing of a past, u need to content wof a used copy if u decide on the latter as it's a discontinued model.

The former provides more flexibity n functions should u want to venture more to CLS oneday :)

I take it when u mention that u don't have a budget u meant u don't mind spending.....so i'll recommend sb900. as mention sb800 is discontinued unless u thinking of
getting 2nd hand. and compared to sb600, sb900 is more versatile and have better range....

Go for the SB-900. It's more expensive, but worth it.

SB800 has already been discontinued.

if its just for normal shooting and due to budget constraint, get sb600
otherwise if budget is not an issue get the latter

if its just for normal shooting and due to budget constraint, get sb600
otherwise if budget is not an issue get the latter

agree!

Do you think it's better to get brand new flashes or it doesn't really make a difference if you get a working 2nd hand set? I asking this because after camping at the BnS section for sometime, the prices on the 2nd hand sets are not much different in terms on price. probably 50 bucks lesser than the brand new.

go for the SB800. i have different views.

first, just because a model is discontinued doesn't make it any less inferior. we should try to change this technology-chasing mindset.

second, there are no signficiant improvements in SB900 over SB800. SB800 is more stable and is a workhorse. on the other hand, SB900 tends to overheat and shutdown after continuous firing.

finally, a second hand SB800 is going for a steal at $400-$480 on second hand market compared to a SB900 at $550-$650.

thank you all. your replies are appreciated. :)
guess i will try asking my friend if any of them own a sb600 sb800 sb900 and try it out myself.
since i am using for normal shooting, i am considering sb600 as well.

when you are trying out the different flashes, most accurate test would be bringing all 3 flashes together, and using the same scene and same location, same settings, do the tests.

select a place with a wide area, high ceilings, dim lighting areas. put the subject a few metres away from you, and you will be very very able to see the distinctive differences.

Do you think it's better to get brand new flashes or it doesn't really make a difference if you get a working 2nd hand set? I asking this because after camping at the BnS section for sometime, the prices on the 2nd hand sets are not much different in terms on price. probably 50 bucks lesser than the brand new.

like u already mentioned, a complete set mint condition 2nd hand is priced only slightly cheaper compared to a brand new set. and unlike a dslr body where u can check its shuttercount, u can't check how heavily used a "mint" condition flash. so .....;)

I'll get the SB800 anyday over the SB900. As mentioned the SB800 is a workhorse, never fail and always ready, the SB900 is not as stable and tends to overheat.