SB800 Diffuser Cap sufficient for Macro

akoberts

Jan 14, 2010
Hello, just got my Tamron 90mm.
Tried indoor using bounced SB800, result was good.
Planning to go out to take insects, but I don't have diffuser for macro shoot yet, can I use the hard cap diffuser on my sb800?
-less power?
-point directly to subject?

What's the most famous/effective macro diffuser?

Dunno if this the right thread to post, moderator please move if necessary

Hello, just got my Tamron 90mm.
Tried indoor using bounced SB800, result was good.
Planning to go out to take insects, but I don't have diffuser for macro shoot yet, can I use the hard cap diffuser on my sb800?
-less power?
-point directly to subject?

What's the most famous/effective macro diffuser?

No, the diffuser cap would not be enough, the light would be harsh and you won't have anything to bounce off your flash. The most famous diffuser is the DIY "Victor diffuser"

Can share more information about this diffuser?
I also see it being discussed aswell on other thread, but i haven't seen the pix.

Seen this, but to attach? Haha
Sorry for mynewbie q

Material is board then foam?
From Daiso perhaps?

Sorry for my questions, attach to lens vertically? Parallel to the flash sb800?

akoberts said:
Material is board then foam?
From Daiso perhaps?

Sorry for my questions, attach to lens vertically? Parallel to the flash sb800?

Both the chopping board and foam are from daiso. Attach it so that the diffuser is actually blocking your flash. The height depends on the size of yr flash.

thanks! will try it out
btw chopping board? and semi translucent paper?

To explain. Why a diffuser cap do not work well:

Flash diffusing is actually about increasing the surface area of the light source. The larger light source will fill in the shadows, reducing the hard shadows so the light will look less directional. So diffusing is softening the shadows more than softening the light.

A cap diffuser cause the flash to light up like a light bulb. In an enclosed environment like a room, it works well, because the light is reflected from all the surfaces around like walls and doors. In the open, however, it is useless because there are nothing to reflect the light off from. Even if there are trees, they are dark and do not reflect well. So the main light source is dependent on the surface area of the cap, which is about the same size as the flash itself.

The victor diffuser works well because it blocks the flash directly, and that light is spread all over the entire board, effectively making the light source much bigger.

This applies to all flash, not just macro.
Hope this helps.

To explain. Why a diffuser cap do not work well:

Flash diffusing is actually about increasing the surface area of the light source. The larger light source will fill in the shadows, reducing the hard shadows so the light will look less directional. So diffusing is softening the shadows more than softening the light.

A cap diffuser cause the flash to light up like a light bulb. In an enclosed environment like a room, it works well, because the light is reflected from all the surfaces around like walls and doors. In the open, however, it is useless because there are nothing to reflect the light off from. Even if there are trees, they are dark and do not reflect well. So the main light source is dependent on the surface area of the cap, which is about the same size as the flash itself.

The victor diffuser works well because it blocks the flash directly, and that light is spread all over the entire board, effectively making the light source much bigger.

This applies to all flash, not just macro.
Hope this helps.

Well explained, thanks.

so curious about this victor diffuser, chopping board is a translucent plastic that can be bought in Daiso?

akoberts said:
Well explained, thanks.

so curious about this victor diffuser, chopping board is a translucent plastic that can be bought in Daiso?

Yes it is one of those flexible chopping boards. The thin foam sheet is also sold in daiso. The whole thing cost less than $10 to make. All thanks to Victor who first DIY it himself.

Last edited:
Btw, if you are curious, for macro I went for a different approach:

5679551488_3023a2b37d.jpg

Last edited: