SB700....

astrorion

Oct 1, 2009
I have notice the SB700 Thread have been closed.

I just need some review on the speedlite since the launch till today.

Any feedback on the SB700 as compare to SB900 for those who have bought it?

i.e. Problem with commander....Battery life drain more faster than SB900.

Or other stuff...

I am thinking to get one to replace my 3rd party flashlight.

Please give me more feedback on the speedlite after you have use it. Thanks you.

Oh...seem like no one bought a SB700?

I do not have, but also gathering informations from friends around. I was told that SB900 overheats easily. but SB700 is a great flash and improvement from SB600 and SB800.

I owned the SB700. I would say the size and weight is slightly more managable on camera. Off camera, it's settings is not as well defined in SB-900. But it's easier to use at the same time due to the simplication. example would be TLL-BL mode. It will be auto-on if you use matrix metering. For SB-900, I think you need to turn that feature on yourself.

I'm about to get my first flash, considering sb700 or 900, as a beginner in flash shooting, which flash shud I go for?

after trying both, i prefer sb700

first impressions on the differences:
- can only command 2 groups vs 3 groups on sb900/800
- the sb700 colour correction "dome" is cool (kinda looking forward to the successor for sb900)
- zooms up to 120mm vs 200mm on sb900

I'm actually looking for a flash too (not buying anytime soon though.. unless the need really arises)

The reason i want to use a flash is for indoor purpose (bounce light so it wont be so reflective on the cheeks etc from popup flash) and also to brighten subjects in a bright day when popup flash is too weak.

Looking at SB-600 or 700.. Any suggestions as to which is better?? (I do not need those wireless commander functions)

Please note that the SB700 is actually slightly weaker than the SB600 in power. And in some situations, you need more power, especially when doing off camera flash, shooting through softbox, or umbrellas and filling bright backgrounds in strong sunlight. In most other context, SB700 is a wonderful flash. But for raw power in a speedlite, SB900 is the way to go.

I'm actually looking for a flash too (not buying anytime soon though.. unless the need really arises)

The reason i want to use a flash is for indoor purpose (bounce light so it wont be so reflective on the cheeks etc from popup flash) and also to brighten subjects in a bright day when popup flash is too weak.

Looking at SB-600 or 700.. Any suggestions as to which is better?? (I do not need those wireless commander functions)

I do not own a SB-600, but according to reviews and introduction, SB-700 makes usage of flash much simplier with auto feature such as TTL-FP and TTL-BL. Might be a disavantage for some but it seems logical for general usage.

I do not own a SB-600, but according to reviews and introduction, SB-700 makes usage of flash much simplier with auto feature such as TTL-FP and TTL-BL. Might be a disavantage for some but it seems logical for general usage.

SB600 also has FP and BL modes. Just that on the Sb600, you need to turn BL mode on, while on SB700 is is automatic. But the control layouts of the SB700 is awesome, no more any need to menu diving with all the sliders and switches.

Hi owner of sb700, I read a comment online say the swivel head of sb700 feel kind of loose (shaky) is it true?

Hi owner of sb700, I read a comment online say the swivel head of sb700 feel kind of loose (shaky) is it true?

For me comapred to SB900, I find SB700 swivel is more "stiff" i.e. not so smooth

Buth then again my SB700 is still very new. ;p

It's smooth when i want it to be. haha. of cos, that is via press and hold an unlock button by the side of the flash head.

The SB-700 is a really great flash... good price and well spec'ed also... I say you can't go wrong really.

I use 1x SB-900 and 2x SB-700's this does me for all ;)

Thx.