SB 910 with D7000

jrdlim

Jul 11, 2011
I have never flash unit before and I just bot SB 910. I read the manual and I still not sure what it meant. How do I use SB 910 off camera without using the built in flash of D7000? Thanks.

u must use the pop up flash from D7000 to trigger the remote flash, unless u have a 3rd party radio trigger.

Thanks baggiolee. What 3rd party radio trigger would you recommend and how much? I see you have 2 speedlight. Would 1 radio trigger able to control multiple flash units? Sorry if I sound silly :)

With a D7000, you do not need radio triggers to use wireless off camera flashes. You can use the pop up flash as the commander to send instructions to your other flashes... Called Nikon CLS, it is TTL enabled.

[vid]IDS9LtbySqY[/vid]

[vid]fYA3nX-cXaY[/vid]

if you use radio triggers, there are 2 kinds, the more standard ones just fire the flash. There is no TTL... basically you have to adjust your flash exposure manually. If you get TTL flash triggers (which are quite expensive), you get some TTL flash metering, but still need to understand how flash works to make the most of it.

Yup. Use ur d7000 as commander to trigger the sb910. I think either manual has a section to teach I how to set it up. Very simple procedure. Spend a bit of time to read the menu. Quite fun. Take note thought that your sb910 must b positioned to receive the commands (shld have a small receiver on one side of the unit).

Thanks so much for the contributions. I begin to understand flash a little. The 1st video is great to let me know I can use my D7000 built in flash as a trigger and by setting it to --, it does not add to the exposure. The 2nd video, I have a few questions. How actually do Groups and Channel function? Each flash at different locations must be in different Groups (A,B), and what does Channel do? Thanks in advance.

Thanks so much for the contributions. I begin to understand flash a little. The 1st video is great to let me know I can use my D7000 built in flash as a trigger and by setting it to --, it does not add to the exposure. The 2nd video, I have a few questions. How actually do Groups and Channel function? Each flash at different locations must be in different Groups (A,B), and what does Channel do? Thanks in advance.

u can set group a to be ur main flashes at certain power and group b as fill or something.. channels is when there is more than one photog shooting so u set to a different channel to prevent interference..

Thanks baggiolee. What 3rd party radio trigger would you recommend and how much? I see you have 2 speedlight. Would 1 radio trigger able to control multiple flash units? Sorry if I sound silly :)

Yes, 1 radio trigger can control multiple flash units. However if you're shooting alone with no interference, just use the pop up flash as a commander. Nikon's CLS makes it so your pop up flash fires a split second ahead of the shutter actuation and does not have an impact in your image.

nickzkcin said:
Yes, 1 radio trigger can control multiple flash units. However if you're shooting alone with no interference, just use the pop up flash as a commander. Nikon's CLS makes it so your pop up flash fires a split second ahead of the shutter actuation and does not have an impact in your image.

Just to add, you need a receiver for each flash unit and one trigger on your camera

nickzkcin said:

Possible to make pop up flash with output as well? At the same time also trigger off cam sb600. .

sense rain said:
Possible to make pop up flash with output as well? At the same time also trigger off cam sb600. .

Yes, you set within the commander mode I. Your manual how would each flash outputs. If you put -- for ur built in flash, the flash output will not be in the picture, but if you put -- for other groups, those flashes will not fire. Switch the mode for your built in flash to other modes for it to have flash outputs that affects ur final image.

Not truth,
the flash from commander flash will still be seen in the photos when it set at --, especially shooting close up or highly reflected surface.

Nikon has this SG-31R IR Panel to overcome this issue.

yap...if you look directly at the built in flash, u can still see it flashes.

btw, i think black tape can also work...lol.

Last edited:
yap...if you look directly at the built in flash, u can still see it flashes.

btw, i think black tape can also work...lol.

If you use black tape, the commander will not be able to send signals... IR still needs to pass through.

I thought can use the Nikon SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander Unit... then no need to use the built in flash???

Nikon SU-800 is very useful, but it costs a few hundreds dollars,

the IR panel is less than twenty dollars.

Oh... good to hear... maybe I will get one to play play... kekeke