SB-80DX and SB-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotorthrust

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Can't decide which to buy? Need enlightenment on these 2 speedlights. Correct me if I'm wrong, the SB-800 is designed specifically for the D2h though, but it can be used on CP5700 (only in AUTO mode), except that the rest of the good features of the speedlight can't be used.

Wanted to get a speedlight now is not only for my current Coolpix, but also for my near-future D2 series.

(Visited the sg Nikon web, and the "discontinued" SB-28DX is still quoted as $880, SB-80 for $650, and SB-800 for $800. Does that means the 28DX is still the flagship of the speedlights, based on the price?)

Your advises are greatly appreciated. Many Thanks!

Cheers!

The DX series lights have been discontinued already. Including the SB-80DX. Right now actually any flash is suitable with the 5700 because you can only use Auto or Manual mode with it.

If you are looking at upgrading to a dSLR in the future. The SB-800 is the way to go.

Hi espn,

That was FAST......... thanks for your info. Got confused between these 2 yesterday when I was at TCW. Well, they seem to have the stock for the 80DX though.

Anyway, many thanks and Merry Christmas!

Cheers!

If they have, then get the SB-80DX, cos it's enough for the D100. The SB-800 was meant more for the D2H with i-TTL.

But the 80DX wont be good for my future D2 (not the D100), right?

SB-800 supercedes the SB-80DX. It fact, it replaces it and what you see in the market is expected to be the last available batch. It is fully backward compatible with the D100, but it will be fully utilized by the D2-series of cameras (eg i-TTL, etc).

SB-80DX is slightly cheaper, but the SB-800 has a few important new features like wireless trigger, i-TTL, etc

There's a SB-28DX on sale by mpenza in the buy/sell section. Worth considering :)

Yup..... i'm awared, but i think i would go for the 800 instead, as it can serve my future D2 series well.

thanks.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.