SB 800 vs. SB 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorby

Apr 4, 2004
Queenstown
Now that a lot of people have bought the SB 600, could somebody ennumerate their experience with the SB 600 and the differences between the SB 800 and SB 600. The major differences according to me are

1. No bounce facility in SB 600
2. Guide no. of 42/38 for SB 600 vs. 56/184 for SB 800
3. Zoom till 85 mm vs 105 mm for SB 800
4. Faster recycling time of 2.7 sec for SB 800 vs. 3.5 sec for SB 600
5. Extra battery facilty for SB 800 allows faster power up

Cheers!

Gorby

if u want a best flash system on earth, just get SB800. Think no more. There is nothing to be headache/dizzy about.

If you want a good flash and perform almost the same as SB800, get the SB600. That explains the SGD220 - SGD260 difference.

My suggestion is this, get SB800 and another 2 SB600 for CLS.

gorby said:
Now that a lot of people have bought the SB 600, could somebody ennumerate their experience with the SB 600 and the differences between the SB 800 and SB 600. The major differences according to me are

1. No bounce facility in SB 600
2. Guide no. of 42/38 for SB 600 vs. 56/184 for SB 800
3. Zoom till 85 mm vs 105 mm for SB 800
4. Faster recycling time of 2.7 sec for SB 800 vs. 3.5 sec for SB 600
5. Extra battery facilty for SB 800 allows faster power up

Cheers!

Gorby

My rebuttal..

1. Bouncecard? hmm.. a self made one.. would cost MAX SGD2.00
2. Only if you really need that RAW Power.. if you using it to take pictures of macro or kids.. or just for a all purpose cam.. I dont think you need that..
3. SB28, SB80 all at 85mm and it was sufficient for everyone that used it.. if you want more power.. just dial in more power.. +1 ev.. or +2ev..
4. No really a big problem.. since i-TTL will not often fire at full 100% flash capacity.. This recycling only applies to full burst power.
5. hmm.. didnt notice the diff..

If you can save that 240 over dollars.. and if you really dont need that Raw power.. I think the SB600 will fit in just nice..

Agreed with GAdrian.

For the saving $240, you can still invest in some other toys to play rather than to get something with 'oversupply' features that you do not need.

;)

i'm also inclined towards getting the SB600, "buy what i need". i feel it's more sensible too.

however, i also read somewhere in one of the threads that i can't put on an omnibounce cap. (some suggestions about strapping it on with tape)

i've seen how much more evenly pictures look with the cap on, will prefer to have it.

also, not sure about tieing it on with tape either... beside the obvious esthetic factor, will the camera know that the cap is on and compensate correctly?

obviousdude said:
i'm also inclined towards getting the SB600, "buy what i need". i feel it's more sensible too.

however, i also read somewhere in one of the threads that i can't put on an omnibounce cap. (some suggestions about strapping it on with tape)

i've seen how much more evenly pictures look with the cap on, will prefer to have it.

also, not sure about tieing it on with tape either... beside the obvious esthetic factor, will the camera know that the cap is on and compensate correctly?

I have yet to physically see the flash.. but from the SB-800.. it has a little switch that gets depressed whenever the diffuser dome is slipped on.. and changes the focal length to 14mm.. I dont always find this a good thing.. especially for close up images of people.. as I find with our fair asians.. the flash is just over firing.. even when I dial in -1 output..

If this doesnt exist on the SB600.. I am sure.. any of the currently available diffuser domes will be usable.. and I bet that within a couple of months.. a fitting one will come out from omnibounce..

to give the same wide angle effect.. you can also use the built in Wide Angle adaptor..

So I dont think there is much of a worry here..

Have to agree with gadrian on the little knotch there. Only if it doesn't switch to 14mm :(

I think the modelling light in the SB-800 is a pretty cool feature. But it's a bit underpowered if used outdoors (i was using it at around sunset time), so i use the strobe function (50Hz, 24x, 1/128). Helps you check the shadows and lighting angle before you shoot. But be careful of burning out the flash tube. :)

Hit the power limit of the SB-800 when i fitted it behind an umbrella to diffuse the light. But pretty small aperture, f11 at 200. Maybe will consider a silver umbrella so as to cut down on light loss.

Other than that, the other differences are pretty minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.