SB-800 vs SB-600

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have an intention of working with multiple lights and can afford it go for the sb800 first, preferably with a ttl off camera cord. There's only so much you can do with one light sitting on top of your camera. But if all you want is something that will work as a fill light, the sb600 works just fine. The manual won't help you with flash photography, all it tells you is how the unit works.

btw the sb800 is made in Japan and the sb600 is made in China, at least that's what's written on mine if that's important to you. They all work fine as far as I'm concerned.

guys thnx for all the links :) , but it seems dat flash photog is not as easy as it seems. e.g. on one of the tutorials it seems dat we have to set the aperture correctly to get good exposure (by means of a formula), so my thought is, is it dat important? and, the sb-800 for e.g. being the latest tech can't produce good lighting from the info given from the lens?
i'm very perplexed due to all this gn nos., aperture etc etc.... to sum up, is there a somewhat a 'golden' rule to flash photog? :think:

First of all I must say again, if u got the budget just go for the SB800..dun regret like me where I got only a low budget and buy the SB600 now end up regreting for not saving more to get the SB800.

As for the advantages and disadvantages, many CSers has already given many..but just to summarize for you, I list them down again..

Pros of SB600 over SB800 - One and only one and that is the price..

Pros of SB800 over SB600 -
1.) Support more modes; TTL, Auto, Multi-Flash/Strobing, Manual Flash
2.) Higher GN, which means more powerful
3.) Provides diffuser dome(omnibounce alike), bounce card(too small, u definitely need to DIY a bigger one), color gel(cheapo type)
4.) Can act as commander, good for bodies like D50 where commander mode is not available on the body
5.) Give more control in manual mode 1/1 - 1/128, SB600 only can control from 1/1 - 1/64
6.) Support SD8A, additional battery pack for faster recycling time
7.) Support up to 105mm focal range, SB600 only support up to 85mm..actually this is factor due to GN..
8.) SB600 rubber cap confirm drop, SB800 never heard any user complain before..

Most of the time flashing using TTL mode or Auto mode is rather accurate for a newbie, and the control u need to adjust is +/- on the flash itself..

The formula for setting the aperture is useful only for Manual mode..tough one, still learning..:sweat:

Enjoy flashing!! ;)

Hi Guys,

I'm new to flash photography. I need a flash for taking indoor shot of my daughter. I believe SB600 should be good enough for my needs right? One question. Can I get the stofen Omni-Bounce for this type of shot?

a stofen would be alright for direct flash. U could also bounce the light using the ceillings or walls. A bounce card can also be used(i.e. jusbounce, flipit, etc......)

guys thnx for all the links :) , but it seems dat flash photog is not as easy as it seems. e.g. on one of the tutorials it seems dat we have to set the aperture correctly to get good exposure (by means of a formula), so my thought is, is it dat important? and, the sb-800 for e.g. being the latest tech can't produce good lighting from the info given from the lens?
i'm very perplexed due to all this gn nos., aperture etc etc.... to sum up, is there a somewhat a 'golden' rule to flash photog? :think:

If you want, take a course at PSS on Flashlight Photography. Mr Goh Kim Hui is a very knowledgable and helpful instructor.

a stofen would be alright for direct flash. U could also bounce the light using the ceillings or walls. A bounce card can also be used(i.e. jusbounce, flipit, etc......)

Where can I buy those 2 products that you have mentioned?

Where can I buy those 2 products that you have mentioned?

I know CP sells the Stofen... not sure if they have the bounce card there too

IMHO, those bounce thing whether use card or ceiling or wall, or use diffuser to soften the flash is better on SB-800 than SB-600. It might look SB-800 is only less than 1 stop powerful than SB-600, but 1 stop is big you know.

Regards,
Arto.

if bounce ya la one stop is a big difference but erm if he gonna use stofen then the 1 stop may be negligible as direct flash itself is very strong.

if bounce ya la one stop is a big difference but erm if he gonna use stofen then the 1 stop may be negligible as direct flash itself is very strong.

I normally drop the flash by -1.0 or up to -2.0 just to get even lighting... and that's with a Stofen on.

First of all I must say again, if u got the budget just go for the SB800..dun regret like me where I got only a low budget and buy the SB600 now end up regreting for not saving more to get the SB800.

As for the advantages and disadvantages, many CSers has already given many..but just to summarize for you, I list them down again..

Pros of SB600 over SB800 - One and only one and that is the price..

Pros of SB800 over SB600 -
1.) Support more modes; TTL, Auto, Multi-Flash/Strobing, Manual Flash
2.) Higher GN, which means more powerful
3.) Provides diffuser dome(omnibounce alike), bounce card(too small, u definitely need to DIY a bigger one), color gel(cheapo type)
4.) Can act as commander, good for bodies like D50 where commander mode is not available on the body
5.) Give more control in manual mode 1/1 - 1/128, SB600 only can control from 1/1 - 1/64
6.) Support SD8A, additional battery pack for faster recycling time
7.) Support up to 105mm focal range, SB600 only support up to 85mm..actually this is factor due to GN..
8.) SB600 rubber cap confirm drop, SB800 never heard any user complain before..

Most of the time flashing using TTL mode or Auto mode is rather accurate for a newbie, and the control u need to adjust is +/- on the flash itself..

The formula for setting the aperture is useful only for Manual mode..tough one, still learning..:sweat:

Enjoy flashing!! ;)

blazer bro, thanks for this insightful feedback... really appreciate it :thumbsup: :) not to mention the rest of u bros out there who took the time to give valuable inputs to my thread... once again thnx a mill!!! so cnfrm, end mth will be getting my SB-800! yahoooo!!! :D

haha... but beware... once the CLS bug bites u'll end up having more than one flash... i started with a SB600 then after the CLS bug bit me i got my SB800 and then another SB600... :cry:

haha... but beware... once the CLS bug bites u'll end up having more than one flash... i started with a SB600 then after the CLS bug bit me i got my SB800 and then another SB600... :cry:

So 3 enuff?? ;)

Or you need more? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.