SB-800 and P mode on D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbchia

Apr 1, 2004
Punggol
Hi, Just wondering it is suitbale to use SB-800 wit D70 on P mode. Those pictures that I shot with SB-800 in P-mode seem to be more under-expose than those without.

Checking the exif data show that those with SB-800 are taken at f1/60 and those without are taken at f/4.

Does this mean that when using SB-800 we should used either Av or S mode instead of P mode?

rgds
bbchia

bbchia said:
Checking the exif data show that those with SB-800 are taken at f1/60 and those without are taken at f/4.

Sorry.. but I think you need to check your EXIF.. I think you have gotten yourself confused with aperture values and shutter speed values.. from what you have listed above.. it looks more like the 1/60 and 1/4 shutter speeds..

Hmmm generally the D70 is known to underexpose by upto -1/2 ev.. which I think it is a good think.. better to have a little underexpose picture then blown out hightlights..

Try to tweak your SB800 to fire at + 2/3 compensation.. It also can be used in all modes.. P, S, A and M..

gadrian said:
Sorry.. but I think you need to check your EXIF.. I think you have gotten yourself confused with aperture values and shutter speed values.. from what you have listed above.. it looks more like the 1/60 and 1/4 shutter speeds..

Hmmm generally the D70 is known to underexpose by upto -1/2 ev.. which I think it is a good think.. better to have a little underexpose picture then blown out hightlights..

Try to tweak your SB800 to fire at + 2/3 compensation.. It also can be used in all modes.. P, S, A and M..

ya.. sorry to the confusion, I am referring to the shutter speed when I mention 1/60 and 1/4... shouldn't add the "f' in front.

But does that mean that wen I used P mode with SB800, the camera did it calculation and decided that a 1/60 shutter speeds will be enough which will then give a more under-expose photo as compare with a photo taken without SB-800 but the camera decided on a longer shutter speed of 1/4.

If that is the case, isn't it to better to be without the SB-800?...:~

bbchia said:
ya.. sorry to the confusion, I am referring to the shutter speed when I mention 1/60 and 1/4... shouldn't add the "f' in front.

But does that mean that wen I used P mode with SB800, the camera did it calculation and decided that a 1/60 shutter speeds will be enough which will then give a more under-expose photo as compare with a photo taken without SB-800 but the camera decided on a longer shutter speed of 1/4.

Well believe it or not.. Nikon's magic formula for flash is 1/60 f5.6.. as all ISO's.. it then regulates the flash output to compensate.. you can manually over this by doing flash compensation on the flash itself.. as I said.. +2/3

This formula.. will well light the subject in question.. but will usually leave a undesirable black background.. I generally use it on manual at 1/45 @ f4 or f5.6.. on my faster 2.8 lenses.. I even shoot at 1/50 f2.8.. the flash actually makes compensations to its output.. but this setup then allows for more ambient lighting.. but do becareful.. as this can lead to blur images.. and you will move during shutter release..

Go to CSM Menu Function 21 and set the Shutter spd to a lower value and the camera will take at that shutter speed if it is low light. That is the lowest shutter speed the camera will go down to and will be shown on the display while in Prog mode.

bbchia said:

Thanks gadrian and Dennis, will try out what u guys have said.

Update of findings here.

yes, by setting the shutter speed to 1/30 will force the camera to use that shutter speed with flash. hence result in much brighter photo. This made shooting in P mode ISO 320 with Sb-800 feasible

Also find that the result is better if I used Flash +ve 2/3 exposure as suggested by gadrian.

Shoot in M mode and set the shutter speed to 1/40 and Aperature to f4/5 will also do the trick but still prefer to let the camera choose the Aperature and shutter speed as I am still a newbie in DSLR.

btw, found out that I have accidentally leave the D70 Flash exposure to -0.33 and although I can see a different when I set the flash exposure on SB-800 to +2/3. But when I view the exif data in NC, it still shows the flash exposure as -0.33. what the reason for this?

I believe the exif data shows the settings on the camera but not the settings on the SB800.

bbchia said:
Update of findings here.

yes, by setting the shutter speed to 1/30 will force the camera to use that shutter speed with flash. hence result in much brighter photo. This made shooting in P mode ISO 320 with Sb-800 feasible

Also find that the result is better if I used Flash +ve 2/3 exposure as suggested by gadrian.

Shoot in M mode and set the shutter speed to 1/40 and Aperature to f4/5 will also do the trick but still prefer to let the camera choose the Aperature and shutter speed as I am still a newbie in DSLR.

btw, found out that I have accidentally leave the D70 Flash exposure to -0.33 and although I can see a different when I set the flash exposure on SB-800 to +2/3. But when I view the exif data in NC, it still shows the flash exposure as -0.33. what the reason for this?

Dennis said:
I believe the exif data shows the settings on the camera but not the settings on the SB800.

If that is the case, then it is very misleading....:( Shouldn't exif setting shown what is being used instead of what is setup in the camera??

I believe the -.33 and the +2/3 settings are both used. In effect you have +1/3 boost of the flash and not +2/3. The exif just show only the camera settings. (I might be wrong, this is purely my view).

bbchia said:
If that is the case, then it is very misleading....:( Shouldn't exif setting shown what is being used instead of what is setup in the camera??

Status
Not open for further replies.