SB-600 vs SB-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBT816

Nov 30, 2005
Is the price difference between SB-600 and SB-800 justifiable in terms of features? Or I can live with the less expensive SB600 with my d50? Am just a hobbyist who takes snapshots of just about everything. Thanks for the advice.

There's 1009388176392997177310002442766 threads on this topic. Do a search.

if you are lagi certain that you do not need anymore features other than flash, get the SB600.

If not sure...get the SB600 first....if you find it not good enought...sell it at small lost(a lot of demand I think in Buy & Sell) and get the SB800 :thumbsup:

Big Kahuna said:
If not sure...get the SB600 first....if you find it not good enought...sell it at small lost(a lot of demand I think in Buy & Sell) and get the SB800 :thumbsup:
My advice, buy SB-800 from the start, get a few and use. :thumbsup:

Big Kahuna said:
Yes, yes, good suggestion! :thumbsup: Err, Before selling, can just PM me? :bsmilie:

Buy SB800 !!! Dont think dont wait buy it now !:cool:

well i guess an sb600 is better than an sb800 if u just wanna use it as a CLS commander for CLS enabled bodies without a built in flash (i guess that just means D2 bodies).. becos it's cheaper! :bsmilie:

er... espn sb600 can be commander rite? i also not sure. :sticktong

jOhO said:
er... espn sb600 can be commander rite? i also not sure. :sticktong
Nope, only SU-800, SB-800, D200/D70/D70S built in flash can be master if you intend to do CLS.

D70/D70S however is limited to Channel 3 Group A settings only. Not too sure on D200, haven't read up the specs.

NIkon has to tent along the orchard road shopping area in front singtel's hello shop.

the price quoted for SB-600 was SGD 460? :sweat:

is that mainly aimed for tourists or any local buyer like us? prices start from SGD330 in stores MS, CP, AP...

:bheart: pricing standards...

haha thats quite a crazy price considering its 170 usd only in the states for a sb600...hope the tourists know the real prices!

lenzz said:
NIkon has to tent along the orchard road shopping area in front singtel's hello shop.

the price quoted for SB-600 was SGD 460? :sweat:

is that mainly aimed for tourists or any local buyer like us? prices start from SGD330 in stores MS, CP, AP...

:bheart: pricing standards...

Nikon has to sell at RRP and not street prices. If Nikon sells at street prices as well then all Nikon retailers can close shop.

it's mainly down to want u want to achieve with the flash.

Most importantly, SB-600 has a lower guide number compared to the SB-800.

BUT unless u need all the FANCIER features of the SB-800 such as CLS commander for MULTIPLE remote flash groups, Modelling Light, Stroboscopic Flash, higher GN, Auto Aperture mode, faster recycling via 5th battery or SD-8A ext batt pack etc and have the money to spare then by all means get the SB-800.

Most amateurs will nvr get more than 2 speedlights and it's more of a psychological want rather than a need to get the SB-800 for CLS. The only reason i can think of is to hook up multiple CLS flash during group model shoots when each photographer contributes his own Speedlight for group use. But how often do you go for such events?

Another important note is that if u own a non-CLS commander- capable camera body eg. D50 then a SB-800 is a credible addition for enhancing flash features.

"Good to have, but do u need a fancier Speedlight, Lens, Camera body etc to achieve what u shoot?"

Cheers :)

coolegg said:
If you always encounter very tricky light situation, get a SB-800 too.

Ummm..... what do u mean by always encounter very tricky light situation?

IMHO, ambient/ flash metering is the solution for lighting tricky situations that is why we have Colour Matrix Metering, Spot Meters, Incident handheld flash meters for.

Getting the fancier SB-800 is mainly down to a few common reasons

1) Higher GN

2) Auto mode

3) Faster recycling

4) Psychological want

I dun think most amateurs will ever use the modelling light, Stroboscopic flash or set up complicated multiple flash groups( eg. 6 Flash in 3 groups?), carry an SD-8A/ Quantum batt pack, etc for their shoots?

Cheers

The Nikon tent in Orchard was supposed to be a promotion thingy where their gear is selling at discounted prices. I saw their leaflet, approached them and said "$1988 for a D70s? You call that a discount?" They said "Ya, got free gift mah." Basically the tent is a waste of time. Only an idiot will buy from there. Er...I hope no one here did. :embrass:

thank you guys for all your inputs. I have decided on the sb600 and use the money I will save on a future lens purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.