SB-600 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, i'm using a d70 with a SB-600 flash unit..for some reason, i can't seem to get it to do the auto zoom thing whenever i zoom in and out with my lens..it works sometimes..as in..it switches to the auto zoom on it's own..but i can never seem to select it when i want to..plus ttl always seems to produce over exposed pics while the manual one never seems to work out well for me.....anyone able to help?

switch it to ttl mode.
press zoom untill u see the "M" above the "Zoom" word dissapper.

or mayb u hav off it..

press zoom & - button till menu pops up.
go to menu wif "zoom & M"
turn it on.

hope it helps.. :thumbsup:

i've tried pressing zoom but it doesn't appear still

also tried searching the menu on the speedlight but there's no zoom and M

only appears if i bring down the wide flash adapter...but even so..it doesn't work when i turn it on

just to check - you have made sure that the built-in wide flash adaptor is fully inserted back in. if not, it would remain at 14mm.

otherwise, you can check in the custom settings on the flash (press the "zoom" and "-" buttons simultaneously for approx. 2 seconds), then scroll to the zoom-m on or off.

hope this helps

forgot to mention, the flash zoom would only range from 24mm - 85mm. so if you're happily zooming your lense above the range of 85mm (say with a 80-200), the flash zoom would just remain at 85mm.

yup..it's fully inserted back.... and i'm using the kit lens..still cannot man...wahh..why like that

is it continuous stuck at 14mm? if it does, that's the wide flash adapter causing it to remain at 14mm. Otherwise, it maybe ur contact on ur camera or the flash having some poor contact. u can try using an eraser to clean it... probably will solve ur problem.

Ironman said:
is it continuous stuck at 14mm? if it does, that's the wide flash adapter causing it to remain at 14mm. Otherwise, it maybe ur contact on ur camera or the flash having some poor contact. u can try using an eraser to clean it... probably will solve ur problem.

Yup...could be....happens to my SB600 also at times.... ;)

I had the same problem when playing around with the CLS and flash functions
Take a look at these...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

From there...
Zoom: This makes no sense if you just try to figure it out on the flash. Leave this set to the default setting of OFF so that the flash automatically zooms to match your lens. Deliberately setting it to ON disables automatic zoom and flashes the "M" on the LCD to warn you.

This solved my problem...

Maybe due to poor contact with your camera hot shoe. Use tissue paper to rub rub your camera hot shoe and your flash contacts. See whether it help :)

Caomhin said:
I had the same problem when playing around with the CLS and flash functions
Take a look at these...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

From there...
Zoom: This makes no sense if you just try to figure it out on the flash. Leave this set to the default setting of OFF so that the flash automatically zooms to match your lens. Deliberately setting it to ON disables automatic zoom and flashes the "M" on the LCD to warn you.

This solved my problem...

I think this could be the mostly likely cause, or the contacts may be very dirty

oh man..i feel like an idiot..still doesn't work...maybe i'll just bring it down to camera workshop..see if they can do anything

Just an enquiry for SB-600 on D70. Is D70 capable of doing "Auto FP High Speed Sync" mode [FP]?

WideZoom said:
Just an enquiry for SB-600 on D70. Is D70 capable of doing "Auto FP High Speed Sync" mode [FP]?
No it is not capable. But the sync speed can go to 1/8000s although with dedicated flash it will not allow you to use any speed higher than 1/500s. Also, whether it is useful or not is another question. Most flash duration at full power is about 1/600, so any shutter speed higher than that will cut off a significant portion of the flash duration so it's not useful at all.

agentmonkey said:
yup..it's fully inserted back.... and i'm using the kit lens..still cannot man...wahh..why like that
Did you flip the lever into the lock position?

lsisaxon said:
No it is not capable. But the sync speed can go to 1/8000s although with dedicated flash it will not allow you to use any speed higher than 1/500s. Also, whether it is useful or not is another question. Most flash duration at full power is about 1/600, so any shutter speed higher than that will cut off a significant portion of the flash duration so it's not useful at all.

Thanks for the advise.

could it be the built-in diffuser ?? coz if the diffuser is out, you will not be able to zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.