sb-600 for portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfeng

Mar 7, 2004
Inside the world of tech
I heard from a friend that its best to use manual flash output control when doing studio portraits, and SB-600 cannot do manual controls for output.

If i use 2 SB600 as fill lights and 1 SB800 as key light, is it ok? (provided all 3 flashes either use softbox or umbrella.)

So the emphasis of CLS is to add more flash output and area coverage. It is not really suited for portaits is it?

Anyone using SB600s for portraits, in addition to their SB800s? Can share your experiences ?

Of course, using studio lights would be nice, but the price is rather steep, and they're huge to lug around.

kfeng said:
I heard from a friend that its best to use manual flash output control when doing studio portraits, and SB-600 cannot do manual controls for output.
According to the Nikon Singapore website, SB-600 "supports i-TTL (for automatic balanced Fill-Flash), D-TTL, TTL, Manual".

At the moment only the Nikon D2H and D70 can take full advantage of CLS.

Yes, the SB-600 can be set to Manual mode aside from iTTL, TTL and iTTL-BL.

To know more about the SB-600 and setting it up for portraits together with the SB-800 and other CLS functions, I suggest you to download the SB-600 manual. Its at: -

http://ftp.nikon-euro.com/Manuals/uNLgVuQcI/SB600-En_01.pdf

If the link does not work, please try to download the manual directly from Nikon Euro. Maybe Nikon Singapore has the same resource.

Note also that the SB-600 can only be used as a remote slave while the SB-800 can work as both master and remote slave.

Cheers,
Bcoolboy

so the SB-600 can be set to manual mode... i could use the sb600s with sb800s.

thanks.

keeping this thread open for those who want to share their techniques on how they use speedlites instead of studio lights for portraiture.

Status
Not open for further replies.