SB-600,900 or nissin 866?

TonyOng

Apr 6, 2009
SK
www.facebook.com
Hi,

thinking about getting at flash, but was torn between the 3... :confused:
can anyone who have used the 3 give some suggestion?

depends on your budget... If possible, always go for Nikon original's. Are you going for CLS? If just want a flash for occasional shots, then the basic SB600. The Nissin is value for money with good review. And it's the most powerful among the 3. You can almost get 2 Di866 for the price of 1 SB900. I suggest you go try all of them out first. For me, it's the SB900/SB800 as I do the occasional CLS and do not want to have any interface issues. Also, I'm a bit of a brand snob :)

depends on your budget... If possible, always go for Nikon original's. Are you going for CLS? If just want a flash for occasional shots, then the basic SB600. The Nissin is value for money with good review. And it's the most powerful among the 3. You can almost get 2 Di866 for the price of 1 SB900. I suggest you go try all of them out first. For me, it's the SB900/SB800 as I do the occasional CLS and do not want to have any interface issues. Also, I'm a bit of a brand snob :)

Nikon's pop-up flashes (with the exception of the low end models like D40/60/3000/5000) can command the Nissin flash, that's why CLS is so good. You use the pop-up flash to command the flashes so you don't have to stick one SB-900 on your camera to use CLS and limit your creativity and shrink your wallet size.

icic.. any idea if the Di866 can connect to batt pack shld there need for higher cycle rate? given the price of SB-600, Di866 would be a better choice?

icic.. any idea if the Di866 can connect to batt pack shld there need for higher cycle rate? given the price of SB-600, Di866 would be a better choice?
yes, it can. see nissin website for more details on battery pack.

SB600 does not have external battery connector.

TS, i am actually having the same dilemma as u now..

so guys, if i just need a powerful flash for stuffs like friends gathering, outing or some commoner photography, Di866 will do? :)

So what other different is there between the sb600 and the Nissin 866? kinda new to flash..haha

For simple events, the SB 600 will do well, provided you apply the various bounce/diffused techniques correctly. If you plan for the long run, an i866 or SB 800/900 will add the versatility of a Commander Mode (CLS) for your system.

If you'd like a simple view of the i866, you can read my blog here.

May be TS can consider a used SB800 at about $450

Hey people,

I want to get a flash but I am confused between the Nikon SB-600 and Nissin 866. I was told that the base of nissin flash is made up of plastic. So that makes the base more vulnerable? Please advise. I want to do occasional potraits, events and gatherings.

Now, you can think about getting a Nikon SB-700 too!

there is also Nissin Di622 Mark II :cool:

how does the Nikon CLS work? only Nikon speedlight have that feature? :dunno:

Think? There's no need to think; there is no reason to buy a SB900 unless for specific professional purposes. The SB700 is it for 90% of photographers. Right now I'm miffed; might just dump my SB900s.

can anyone explain to me how does this "multi-step auto zoom" works?

SB700 is 24-120mm while SB600 is 24-85mm.

Yes, between SB-600 and Di866, Di866 would be a better choice.

Nissin Di866 is good. But if money is allowed, why not go to SB900, the best Nikon speedlight at this moment :)

I happen to own both a Di866 and a sb 900.

Just a observation I made, while pushing my 866 last time, it overheated quite a few times...before I switched over to eneloop batteries, i was using energizer lithium and...well...it kinda melted. It was HOT to touch. You can actually see the cover of the batteries sink in and see the battery structure. Even after I switch to eneloop, sometimes, when pushed too far, it can still overheat.

After I tried the sb-900, even when pushed arh, i still haven seen it overheating yet...same amount of firing and everything. (i heard of it overheating, but haven experience it yet)

I think the 866 is good as a affordable CLS with a sub flash, but recycling speed wise, my vote is with sb900. Currently using the 900 more as its the newer one, lol. :bsmilie: I still use the 866 sometimes when i'm experimenting 2 flashes:bsmilie:

Anyone made a similiar observation? Quite curious if its just me only...:embrass:

I happen to own both a Di866 and a sb 900.

Just a observation I made, while pushing my 866 last time, it overheated quite a few times...before I switched over to eneloop batteries, i was using energizer lithium and...well...it kinda melted. It was HOT to touch. You can actually see the cover of the batteries sink in and see the battery structure. Even after I switch to eneloop, sometimes, when pushed too far, it can still overheat.

After I tried the sb-900, even when pushed arh, i still haven seen it overheating yet...same amount of firing and everything. (i heard of it overheating, but haven experience it yet)

I think the 866 is good as a affordable CLS with a sub flash, but recycling speed wise, my vote is with sb900. Currently using the 900 more as its the newer one, lol. :bsmilie: I still use the 866 sometimes when i'm experimenting 2 flashes:bsmilie:

Anyone made a similiar observation? Quite curious if its just me only...:embrass:

Be careful Bro, if the battery was melting inside the flash, it would damage your flash.

wah the battery will melt in the flash? how come? :bigeyes:

Been using di866 since March till now... I bought it 'cos it's abt 30% cheaper than sb900 & is just as powerful a flash, has CLS (master & slave) / Auto FP capability & even has a sub-flash that sb900 doesn't have.

just bought a sb900 in August so havent had alot of experience with it yet.

used both for events (indoor/outdoor) & a wedding.

my own thoughts with sb900 & di866 (no comments on sb600 or other flashes):
1) di866 certainly gives u bang for e buck, has most of sb900's features
2) di866 sub-flash set to low power is good for some front fill when you bouch the main flash off the ceiling
3) better white balance with sb900 indoors (maybe there's feedback from flash to camera to adjust WB), havent found much diff btwn then for outdoor photos
4) both overheat just the same, with di866 abit more tolerant. sb900 shows u the overheat icon but nissin either switches off or acts up on its display.
5) sb900 has BL (backlighting) mode & option to set how it spreads the light - even, standard & centre-weighted
6) both supports CLS & can act as either master & remote
7) both just as sensitive as remote flashes when triggered CLS via camera flash indoors

i recently bought the sb900 'cos spare flash comes in handy when the main overheats. also experimenting strobist / off-camera lighting & the 2nd flash good for lighting up room off-camera for indoor events.