Saying a Simple Hi to this CS members & some Queries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomic76

Sep 28, 2009
GReetings,

Juz wanna drop a thread to say hi to all and hope to learn more from you guys. Been reading the various threads and stickys for a few days before i joined. Key reason was the addition of my baby girl to my family 2 weeks ago making me realise my current Casio Exilim EX-Z77 (7.2MP) compact doesn't meet my requirements of sharp photos!!!

So...i guess i'm here to research which to upgrade. Now...prosumer or 4/3 or DSLR....i'm not really a photographic person, prefering to use a camera for the sole function of shooting photos when overseas or for certain occasions. Although, i really like the pics from DSLRs....

Not really narrowing down but i was wondering the following:

1)Should i learn to master my EX-Z77?

Somehow i find that there's not gonna be a great improvement to photo quality even if i research more into this camera. Miserable for taking photos at night in my opinion. But like i say...i'm too a newbie to realise its potential.

2) Upgrade to Lumix LX3 (Most likely a 2nd hand at 600+)?

Read lots of good review on this camera and seems that most DLSRs players own one LX3 too...for its compactness....really like the sharp photo quality. Pricing on 2nd hand really seems more affordable.

3) Buy a 4/3? Oly EP-1 or Panny GF-1?
The picture/photo quality seems really wonderful and the ability to snap photos at night without using a tripod is really tempting. a little bit of lens changing seems a good variant to compacts.

4) Purchase a brand new set of Nikon 5000D or Canon D500?

This option should set me back 1.3k if going for dual kit although i'm really kinda too newbie to spend this amt...and i must say...the size as compared to a compact/ 4/3 does make me worry if my wife will be willing to play with it too. Needless to say...the quality is great but the accessories and like some pple's comments....imagine bringing a diaper bag, pram and a DSLR camera....turns some off and kinda reminds me that it may irk me too!

So....since most of you are already fathers and might be in my similiar situation before, or you had the same situation in terms of upgrading from a compact before.... care to offer me some advice?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks and regards.

Nomic

Last edited:
hi and welcome to CS

I'll opt for option 1, master your current camera until you feel that it is holding you back
then take a look at yourself and decide which route you are ready to take

Thanks for the advice Ortega.

Under yr advice, i went back to use the pns casio camera and tried to snap a few shots of my baby gal. As i'm unable to use flash on her...i juz played with the ISO, EV and WB....realised that i could take a few pictures and steady hands are required...care to give some C&C pls?

Cheers

Last edited:
It's just some slight softness and a lil OOF. You'd just need a lil more practise. :)

Thanks Zac08...

U can see the pic? I can't seem to be able to see it...thought it was not uploaded properly. i'll check the FAQ on how to upload again...using gallery method next.

Btw, softness and OOF....hmmm...totally new to me...guess i'll try to search to find their meaning.

Thanks for the C&C!

Cheers

Let me help u..;)

3961913021_b81d4ca8a7.jpg

When linking a website use the link function, for a single image use the image link function.

Your link

Thanks Zac08...

U can see the pic? I can't seem to be able to see it...thought it was not uploaded properly. i'll check the FAQ on how to upload again...using gallery method next.

Btw, softness and OOF....hmmm...totally new to me...guess i'll try to search to find their meaning.

Thanks for the C&C!

Cheers

See HERE...:)

OOF = Out of Focus. As a result the images appear 'soft' - the opposite of 'sharp' ;)

Thanks JLKK76...

Now i know where i went wrong...the link is not correct! Thanks again! ...onto more uploading!

I guess you are too close, below the minimum focusing distance of the lens. Image CIMG1862 appears sharp in background, showing the texture of the fabric very nicely. Since it's not in the center of the image the focus was not distracted, hence my guess of 'too close'.

i say #1, you should maximise what you have, else you just go into a spiral of endless pointless consumerism.

getting a better camera doesn't mean that you get better photos. but of course, it offers more freedom and options.

OOF = Out of Focus. As a result the images appear 'soft' - the opposite of 'sharp' ;)

Thanks a lot for the guidance. Will try to use zoom prehaps.

Thanks a lot for the guidance. Will try to use zoom prehaps.

Erm.. how do you expect zoom to help you here? Step back a bit, no need to zoom. A bit more space left and right (= less tight framing) is better. Use whatever focus assistant the camera offers (e.g. face detection) to get the eyes sharp.

I guess you are too close, below the minimum focusing distance of the lens. Image CIMG1862 appears sharp in background, showing the texture of the fabric very nicely. Since it's not in the center of the image the focus was not distracted, hence my guess of 'too close'.

you are right! I was not using any zoom functn of the camera and just lean on the edge of the rocker bed to snap the photo. Thanks for the advice....maybe a little zoom might help but then, my hands will be trembling and...the pic will be blur...just trying to perfect learning my camera as per highlighted by some....

:)

i say #1, you should maximise what you have, else you just go into a spiral of endless pointless consumerism.

getting a better camera doesn't mean that you get better photos. but of course, it offers more freedom and options.

ok...learning to snap more photos of my baby gal with this camera...i.e....playing with the EV, ISO, WB.

Here's one i took just now

3962691166_afdd6b0f99.jpg

Guess its still soft....too bad...she's asleep...i'll try more photo taking tomolo.

Btw, i used Tungsten for WB, ISO 400, +1EV and no flash...not allowed...wifed scolded me when i accidentally took one with flash!

Last edited:
Btw, i used Tungsten for WB, ISO 400, +1EV and no flash...not allowed...wifed scolded me when i accidentally took one with flash!

When she's sleeping (= eyes are closed) it's fine. Don't fire into open eyes. Not even adults like that. But for that please reduce flash to lowest possible level. It's not much what is needed here.
I guess ISO400 is the best you get use, maybe try ISO800, let's see how it turns out. Reduce to 0EV then. Auto WB should be enough. For perfect results check your manual for manual WB settings using a piece of paper, put the paper next to her face to get similar light conditions.

When she's sleeping (= eyes are closed) it's fine. Don't fire into open eyes. Not even adults like that. But for that please reduce flash to lowest possible level. It's not much what is needed here.
I guess ISO400 is the best you get use, maybe try ISO800, let's see how it turns out. Reduce to 0EV then. Auto WB should be enough. For perfect results check your manual for manual WB settings using a piece of paper, put the paper next to her face to get similar light conditions.

hmmm....ISO800 with AWB & 0EV...very noisy...totally not smooth at all for the pic. As to the manual WB settings...that's very new to me and i'll try it...thanks! Was wondering how to use it just now when i was twigging the settings!

#1 will be your best option. Most cameras on the market nowadays, even the cheaper ones, are quite decent. One other thing you want to look into is some basic techniques in post processing.

The following are a couple of examples I took with a very old and lousy 5MP PnS camera.

3559436687_2d5ca78496_m.jpg
3597262791_3eca105071_m.jpg

Hi and Welcome,
You don't need a super duper new fangled all bells and whistles DSLR to take sharp pictures. Even your PnS can give acceptable quality.
Just learn to use whatever support available to steady the camera and try to reduce flash to lowest level if possible, if not adjustable, a sheet of tissue paper over the flash window helps tremendously.
GOD Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.