Saving with ICC profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
I calibrated my LCD screen using pantone spyder colorvision colorplus and that helps to remove the blueness on my laptop, but no significant difference on my desktop lcd screen.

i was told that i should save all my photoshop works checking that ICC profile is clicked as below.

like this....

DSC_1903_cover_copy_ICC_pro_copy.jpg

however what i realised is when i save the file without the ICC profile, the file looks normal on my other viewers such as microsoft pic and fax viewer and irfanview. as below,

DSC_1903_cover_copy_wo_icc_1.jpg

that is for you to tag a working colour space (eg Adobe RGB or sRGB) to your file. you're tagging the monitor profile to your file that is wrong.

however, when i save with ICC profile, and when i look at it again on my screen, it became washed out (trying to get a copy to show, cos when i resave the washed out pic for downsizing to show in the forum, the color became rite again).

ok, now done as i printscreen to show how the picture (saved with ICC profile checked) looks on my screen on microsoft viewer,

DSC_1903_cover_copy_on_export.jpg

jopel said:
that is for you to tag a working colour space (eg Adobe RGB or sRGB) to your file. you're tagging the monitor profile to your file that is wrong.

what and how i should ensure the correct color profile is saved to the pic so that the pic looks correctly represented when finally printed out?

zoossh said:
what and how i should ensure the correct color profile is saved to the pic so that the pic looks correctly represented when finally printed out?

for that you need a custom printer profile not just a claibrated monitor

jopel said:
for that you need a custom printer profile not just a claibrated monitor

before i get the printer profile, what should i do to ensure that the file is saved to a format that will correctly represent the picture i edit on my calibrated screen?

cos the printer profile is not so impt to me as i may send them for commercial printing at recommended places.

the 1st pic is what i see on my calibrated screen and that is what i hope the file will record.

zoossh said:
before i get the printer profile, what should i do to ensure that the file is saved to a format that will correctly represent the picture i edit on my calibrated screen?

cos the printer profile is not so impt to me as i may send them for commercial printing at recommended places.

have you tried saving it in srgb color profile and then viewing it in your windows viewer, instead of your monitor profile?

Castlesinthesky said:
have you tried saving it in srgb color profile and then viewing it in your windows viewer, instead of your monitor profile?

i'm using photoshop elements 3.0. could that be the problem? my "save as" box (in the first post) does not have the option of saving in srgb color profile.

zoossh said:
i'm using photoshop elements 3.0. could that be the problem? my "save as" box (in the first post) does not have the option of saving in srgb color profile.

Just a note, when you view pictures with srgb profiles attached in NON ICC aware programs-e.g. windows viewer-the colors displayed will be viewed within the monitor profile that you calibrated.

Theoretically, if you save your picture in your monitor profile, the picture should turn out exactly the same as how you processed it in photoshop elements-which is that effect you're getting with the first example you set. This is if you're viewing it on your own. Other people may see the "colors" somewhat differently.

But if i were you, i'll just pp the photo to exactly how i visualize it in srgb color profile and then save it in that format. Any color changes will be due to the application being non color aware. Print labs usually just take your pictures in that format anyway.

http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e/messages/3/131278.html?1115288208

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FEe8&tag=

try reading this by the way.

zoossh said:

you have to convert or assign the colour space before you hit save as.

you have assigned your monitor profile to your pic hence it appeared in the save as dialogue box.

as you are sending it out to print you need to know the colour space the commercial printer is using - it could be Adobe RGB or sRGB

the best is if they can provide you their printer profile.

A simple fix to this,

1) Work in Adobe RGB, believe for PSE, it's "...colors for print" or something like that
2) 1 copy in Adobe RGB for PRINT only
3) 1 copy in sRGB for SCREEN/WEB use.
4) Do NOT tag Monitor profile to image - monitor profiles are for you to view/judge/edit based on the limitations of your monitor. it's basically a white point calibration so that GRAYS are neutral (most important)

hope this helps.

cheers,
nic

i think becos i'm using photo elements only, not photoshop CS, so less control.

what i can find are

when i import pictures for editing, some files does not have a color profile and this will pop up. however not all picture imported will have this window.

00.jpg

for all files, i can go to the color settings....

01.jpg

of which these settings are allowed....

02.jpg

another part is the mode of which these settings are allowed

03.jpg

as above. i can only choose full management and RGB profile. there is no sRGB profile for me to choose.

anyway, i intend to get photoshop CS so that i can apply what is usu taught online..

"when i import pictures for editing, some files does not have a color profile and this will pop up. however not all picture imported will have this window."

those files have no colour space tag to them - they were save without selecting the ICC profile.

if you are using lab to print your file you can assign sRGB

Status
Not open for further replies.