saving into large format jpeg in cs4

Status
Not open for further replies.

fongi

Aug 19, 2008
hi, hope can get some help, try searching, but dunnoe how to put it, and can really find wat i wanna know. when i use lightroom2 to output my image from raw to high quality jpeg, about 5mb per image, i den edit it in CS4, and after editing, i go to ''save as'' into jpeg, the image turn out to be oni 170kb... which is low in quality... may i know how to change the setting where i can save as in the same quality resolution as i first send to cs4... hope i am making myself clear. lol;) TIA.

hi, hope can get some help, try searching, but dunnoe how to put it, and can really find wat i wanna know. when i use lightroom2 to output my image from raw to high quality jpeg, about 5mb per image, i den edit it in CS4, and after editing, i go to ''save as'' into jpeg, the image turn out to be oni 170kb... which is low in quality... may i know how to change the setting where i can save as in the same quality resolution as i first send to cs4... hope i am making myself clear. lol;) TIA.

check your compression

every-time you save your jpeg file, you will lose some data (via lossy compression)

my suggestion, from lightroom2 save as tiff (loss less compression format) then edit and save as tiff
then when finally done with editing, you can save as jpeg with compression set to 12 for the least compression

sounds like you are off the correct path.

In LR start PS via > Photo > Edit in > Edit in Photoshop.
Or short cut 'command + e' on the Mac, and should be 'control + e' on the PC.

In PS - use 'save', again 'command + s', or 'control + s'. Do NOT use 'save as...'

Close the file in PS. Go back to LR. You have now your edited version in LR. And your original RAW file.

If you want to make it perfect - switch your LR in > Preferences > External Editing > Colorspace to > ProPhoto

And make sure your Photoshop program is registered there. Choose fileformat 'PSD' as this it the native and best for Photoshop

what camera are you using? for anything from 10-14 megapixels, unless your image is bokeh image, i think even 5 mb is a wee bit too low, from experience.

anyways, you are compressing your image too much.

how do you save? you just close and overwrite?

There are only two things that could affect your JPG image. --> Dimensions and compression level.

Did you change "dimensions" by resizing? What did you input for "compression level" while were asked before saving to JPG?

Can you state the resolution you are working at? And also the type of picture? Are there a lot of whites and blacks? I have a suspicion that transforming a 5MB jpeg to a 170KB file is more than just the compression ratio.

tk u all for the advise... problemo solve... is the compression thingy... i never c properly. paiseh:embrass:

i'm using canon 40D, so when i convert from raw to highest quality jpeg, the file is roughly around 5mb right?

tk u all for the advise... problemo solve... is the compression thingy... i never c properly. paiseh:embrass:

i'm using canon 40D, so when i convert from raw to highest quality jpeg, the file is roughly around 5mb right?

it really depends on the level of detail in the scene.

for example, something with a lot of oof will not have much detail, even at highest quality it will not be such a large file. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.