Save the Commonwealth Games

davidlee

Sep 3, 2008
After the success of the Youth Olympic Games is there any truth that the Queen is thinking of transferring the Commonwealth Games to Singapore from the shambles in Delhi.

After the success of the Youth Olympic Games is there any truth that the Queen is thinking of transferring the Commonwealth Games to Singapore from the shambles in Delhi.

I'm not sure if it really will be moved here, most of the news coverage actually suggests that it might be canceled because the team don't want to send their athletes over. Also, we don't have an olympic village anymore, NTU dorms are now occupied by the students.

I don't think it was a last minute thing though. My friend was in Delhi last year and saw that the infrastructure wasn't even up then.

General safety seems to be real a concern for the athletes.

General safety seems to be real a concern for the athletes.

The safety issue is big cos of the shooting and the dengue outbreak, other aspects such as no internet, no mobile network coverage and insufficient amenities are not helping too. If i'm the athlete i wouldn't go too.

I don't think even Singapore is ready to host the games which is due to start in about a week's time (3rd Oct).... but if they allow another 1~2 months to prepare, I am pretty sure it is possible...

Last edited:
YOG hiccups seem like very small now compared to what Dehli is facing ..............

Let's not put our athletes in harm's way.

They were not able to save Ms Lo Hwei Yen.

About one-and-a-half hours later,Ms Lo’s husband, Mr Michael Puhaindran, identified the body as that of his 28-year-old wife, making her the first Singaporean to have been killed in an overseas terrorist attack.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/393023/1/.html

YOG hiccups seem like very small now compared to what Dehli is facing ..............

I only guessing here.... but isn't the Commonwealth Games much BIGGER than the YOG ?? Could this be a reason why its much harder to get the job done..... :think:

I'm hoping that the games will not be affected much.... India had already spent sooo much $$$$ already.... if no team turn up.... die lah :sweat:

I think it is typical of the developed nations angst towards events held in developing nations. They ruck up the same things about Beijing air quality, human rights, construction progress etc before the 2008 Olympics. It turned out that was the most impressive Olympics ever. Of course India is more chaotic due to the democracy and the strained relations with their neighbours.

With China having hosted the 2008 Olympic successfully and Brazil hosting the 2014 World Cup. It will be interesting to see how India pull off this Commonwealth games as one the the big 5 newly industrialized economies.

Last edited:
I think it is typical of the developed nations angst towards events held in developing nations. They ruck up the same things about Beijing air quality, human rights, construction progress etc before the 2008 Olympics. It turned out that was the most impressive Olympics ever. Of course India is more chaotic due to the democracy and the strained relations with their neighbours.

With China having hosted the 2008 Olympic successfully and Brazil hosting the 2014 World Cup. It will be interesting to see how India pull off this Commonwealth games as one the the big 5 newly industrialized economies.

True but this time its kinda different, the lodging and amenities are not even up, even if they want to hold the game, it might be impossible due to the lack of infrastructure.

True but this time its kinda different, the lodging and amenities are not even up, even if they want to hold the game, it might be impossible due to the lack of infrastructure.

Not up or not ready? If piling is not done, concrete is not poured. Then it would be a big joke and a slap in the face of India's aspiration. But if it is just not ready, then it surely isn't a big issue.

Not up or not ready? If piling is not done, concrete is not poured. Then it would be a big joke and a slap in the face of India's aspiration. But if it is just not ready, then it surely isn't a big issue.

From what i've read, parts of the athlete village is not fully built yet and those which are built, electricity and plumbing are not put in. They are now rushing the work trying to get it done by the time the athletes arrive, which is actually these few days.

I wonder those still supporting Dehli and dreaming that they can pull it off, have ever been to Dehli or India.

They may pull it off, but at what cost? Cost to the country that can ill afford this spectacle, and at what cost to the atheletes.

Beside, the Commonwealth Game, really an afterthough in the arena of international competitions.

international sporting events like these should really be placed in the hands of people who are capable enough and have the ability to accomplish it. such events require so much responsibility and planning.

Sing cannot be too obvious in turning India down.
Not diplomatic.
If a serious incident happens, that's what every country is waiting for.
That is the excuse they have to back out.
It is like, don't blame me. Now you know why we cannot come.

In the 9.30pm news just now, a long list of world class sports men/women have backed out personally.

India wanted it to be a showcase. Problem is, it can showcase how splendid India is or it can showcase how CMI India is.

China can pull off the Olympics.
Little Singapore can pull of the yOG.

What happened in Mumbai is remembered by everyone.

Not much hope for Japan's participation in Nanking YOG 4 years later. The recent spat over islands can escalate and worse - memories of what Japan did in Nanking during WW2.

Last edited:
Just finished a conference call with our Delhi branch manager .... after clearing up work matters I asked if he was excited about the Commonwealth Games starting next week... he was excited but hoped that the organizers will clean up the gigantic mud pools scattered throughout the Games sites .... said that the Games should go on OK ..... at the expense of New Delhi residents

The health concerns is serious......... we've installed an active filtration system and perpetual water boiler in the office ..... some staff actually fill up their bottles to bring home after work. Hear that the recent rains mixed with cow and human excretements on the roads and mixing in with the groundwater is not at all pleasant.

Last edited:
Just finished a conference call with our Delhi branch manager .... after clearing up work matters I asked if he was excited about the Commonwealth Games starting next week... he was excited but hoped that the organizers will clean up the gigantic mud pools scattered throughout the Games sites .... said that the Games should go on OK ..... at the expense of New Delhi residents

The health concerns is serious......... we've installed an active filtration system and perpetual water boiler in the office ..... some staff actually fill up their bottles to bring home after work. Hear that the recent rains mixed with cow and human excretements on the roads and mixing in with the groundwater is not at all pleasant.

Well, its up to them to ease the athletes' concerns now, the facilities might be there but the health and safety issues are still around, more athletes than those whom alr withdrawed might not want to take the risk

I wonder those still supporting Dehli and dreaming that they can pull it off, have ever been to Dehli or India.

They may pull it off, but at what cost? Cost to the country that can ill afford this spectacle, and at what cost to the atheletes.

Beside, the Commonwealth Game, really an afterthough in the arena of international competitions.

If you are refering to me, I have been to Mumbai, Chennai and Kerela, not Delhi. Though it does not mean that I am familiar with the inner workings of India. In fact, I don't know how India works. However, India is not a poor country lah. There are reasons why there are so many poverty but it is defintely not poor. Look at their military budgets. If you look at China, South Africa and Brazil. There are also alot of poor people. It is always debated if these countries should be so extravagant in building multi million dollar stadiums to host one off sporting events when they could have used the money to feed their poor. I know the quality of infrastructure the Indian builds, not world class. You get water seepage, wall cracks, tiles falling off, straight through water pipes (without the U bends). Even newly laid roads can have pot-holes. So if you want to scrutinize, there really is a lot you can complain about. Anyway, I am neither supporting nor against them. If you ask me to, I would not go there and watch the games, even if it is free. But to say they are less capable would be an understatement.

I also think the sportsmen should adopt the fact that he is truly good if he can compete in any environment. For those kuniang and spoilt athletes, maybe they can stay home and wait for the games to come to their door-steps.

Last edited: