Save Singapore's Countryside

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

May 10, 2005
Singapore/London
www.jaclau.com
Dear fellow photographers (and in particular the wildlife photogs/nature enthusiasts),

I'm quite sure many of you have read on the news the government's plans to stockpile granite in the Kranji area. The situation is urgent - we need to urge them to reconsider their decision.

"PLEASE HELP SAVE SINGAPORE'S COUNTRYSIDE!

The Kranji Countryside is the only non man-made, completely natural and un-touched oasis left in Singapore.

Over 80 acres of arable land, originally earmarked for agricultural purposes, has been bulldozed to become a granite stockpile site.

Help save what little Countryside that's left. It took local farmers years to create this sustainable countryside in Lim Chu Kang, where nature and nurture happily co-exist. It only took the Govt. agencies 2 months to destroy it."

The area, near Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, is rich in birdlife and other vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, which has already lost much of their habitats. Dust from the granite stockpiles will further affect the surrounding areas, including many adjacent farmlands.

Trucks delivering materials to the stockpiling area will impact significantly on the peace of the area, and generate dust and carbon emissions.

Residents, the local community, and visitors to the area will experience adverse impacts to the scenic character of the Kranji Countryside.

No Environmental Impact Assessment nor Social Impact Assessment has been carried out, and neither has there been any form of stakeholder engagement or prior consultation with the affected parties. There are many other potential land areas in Singapore or on Ubin that can be used for the stockpiling, where any adverse social and environmental impacts will be significantly less.

Please help support this petition to the government to urge them to reconsider their decision - and pass the message on!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethecountryside/

I have recently been down to the area and it's quite a sad scene. Where there used to be dense vegetation and birds and all, it's now all bare, bulldozed, destroyed.

81f30f3e06aaa5e6712f23c558d587c1.jpg

3aaa618b1fd7eff31711efa58542b3cc.jpg

The bulldozed land

0abc5df2e0b2474ddfea1e49158610fa.jpg

The stockpiling area in the upper left corner... you can see how close is it is to the waterways

1e6a262e166a4f5eb325d2c1e4e318a4.jpg

One of the adjacent farms

Mmmm tried to sign the petition but was asked to pay for it. Just thought will bring it up to the TS. The idea is noble but using this online petition site will backfire as no one wants to pay money to sign on a petition.

Mmmm tried to sign the petition but was asked to pay for it. Just thought will bring it up to the TS. The idea is noble but using this online petition site will backfire as no one wants to pay money to sign on a petition.

Thats what I got too when I was at the site so another stray thought came to mind...is this some scam to get people who might be concern about such cause to actually pay to sign up and thus benefit that site financial. It would not be the first of it kind to happen.

So when I started thinking that way, more thought came to mind that Singapore has alot of sites like this which the govt has zone off as stateland but have not done nothing to it and after sometime nature reclaim it back and wild life and what have you, starts to come back to those parts and for years nothing happen and we take it for granted that that part is zone off for nature if there was no use for it but all of a sudden there is a need for it and now the govt just acts on it. Relooking at the picture...seem reclaiming work has already started in a vast land area now. What was indicated as a water way is but just a drainage....so now that I have calm down abit and rationalise about it....does this all make sense and also if this is effect alot of the people in that areas..I stilll have not found any other news to support this case in recent days....like protest or appeal by anyone. You could say it got censored off but usually there is still some way you get to hear about it and in more then one source.

Sorry...I am not being inpersonal or not concern but something just smell abit off with this. I don't mean to make light of any news that one of our own folk voice a concern.

Oh, it's a free petition site, you're not obliged to pay anything whatsoever. After submitting your details you'll get to a page that says "Your signature has been recorded". There is a donation/support box that appears on that same page, but it is in no way mandatory... they're just trying to catch the unawares.

The Kranji Countryside is the only non man-made, completely natural and un-touched oasis left in Singapore.

a statement like this one is very strong. have you made any study on what makes the ecology of the area special against other natural settings in Singapore? and where the granite stockpile can go if not there? judging by the cutting of the land and construction of the drain in the area not yet bulldozed in the last picture, the land does not seem to be ''un-touched'' but had been prepared quite long ago.

a statement like this one is very strong. have you made any study on what makes the ecology of the area special against other natural settings in Singapore? and where the granite stockpile can go if not there? judging by the cutting of the land and construction of the drain in the area not yet bulldozed in the last picture, the land does not seem to be ''un-touched'' but had been prepared quite long ago.

Thanks eikin. Agreed that we have to be careful of statements like those - but I was merely getting the contents of that petition on this board. As an ecologist by training I am usually more attentive to these, and indeed in a proper petition/supporting letter I will not resort to general, vague, or inaccurate descriptions, but I'll strive to get the terms and facts right.

Meanwhile, in response to your question on picking that location for stockpiling, yes - there are other areas, as recognised by the Nature Society (Singapore) that the government should have as alternatives to Kranji. Mainly in the West, Tuas... mostly MINDEF land. The land in Kranji is the most arable land available in Singapore, and had been set aside for agricultural purposes... thus granite stockpiling would be significantly altering the current land use. Plus, not only that, but the location of the stockpiles lies adjacent to existing farms and croplands. If you went down and had a look, you'd be surprised at how close it is to some of the the neighbouring farms. To date, there has been no talk of compensation whatsoever should there be adverse impacts on agricultural activities.

Thanks eikin. Agreed that we have to be careful of statements like those - but I was merely getting the contents of that petition on this board. As an ecologist by training I am usually more attentive to these, and indeed in a proper petition/supporting letter I will not resort to general, vague, or inaccurate descriptions, but I'll strive to get the terms and facts right.

i do find the title and content of your petition quite misleading.

Just to clarify - I am not the creator of the petition. I am only supporting it and spreading the word... although I will be drafting out a paper/letter on my own in support of this cause.

Thanks for the feedback tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.