Save Mandai Orchid Garden thread - Share your experiences

skfoo

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
The rain outside my windows has just stopped. I was gazing at the dark skies thinking how I should go about drafting this posting. Joe Cocker was singing his famed “You are so beautiful” in the background. Indeed, Mandai Orchid Garden (MOG) is a beautiful place (http://www.mandai.com.sg/). It is a place for all nature lovers. Regardless if you like birds, butterflies, insects, flowers, fishes, plants, dinning or just to find a nice “natural” place to get away from the concrete jungle and bustling city lifestyle, you can find it in MOG. Lost yourselves among the beautiful orchids, be surrounded by Torch Ginger flowers and watched little birds like Crimson Sunbirds and Little Spiderhunter feeding from them or even dine at the cosy Vanilla Pod restaurant (http://sittingwishingeating.com/2010/03/03/vanilla-po/) while listening to the sound of the water from a stream nearby.

MOG is also photographer friendly place. Just tell the ticketing counter you are there for photography and you need only to pay $1.50 instead of the usual $3 ticket for an adult. Many years ago when I was the moderator of Avian Watch Asia, MOG was kind enough to let us organized a member gathering there. Back then, super telephoto lenses are not a common sight. The gathering allows knowledge and hand experience to be shared among members.

I have not been to MOG for a long time taking for granted it will continue to be there. It was until recently that I brought a friend to have a firsthand experience in photographing birds that I decided to pay MOG a visit and later came to know that MOG may be gone by end of this year. A Google search led me to this article in WildSingapore.
http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2010/03/mission-save-mandai-orchid-garden.html

Unless you are a “newbie”, I believe most of us have benefitted from MOG in one way or the other. I would like to call upon you to share your best images taken at MOG, insight on fauna and flora there and personal experiences. Let consolidate these into this thread. Perhaps, one day the persons or authorities making decision on the lease of the land where MOG is located will come to realize that MOG is not solely about orchids. The flowers may be shifted but birds may be gone. Over the years, various birds have been found to nest in MOG. If will be shame if this natural heritage (MOG in totality) is lost. You know the thing about us is that we have not been telling enough people how much we love a place or how nice a place is. Very often, our complains outweigh our compliments. Let’s not make the same mistakes here. Share with everyone what MOG meant to you!

Let me fire the first salvo!

These images of Little Spiderhunter were taken on my recent trip to MOG. In fact, I couldn’t think of another place that I could photograph this fella as easy as in MOG.

Little-Spiderhunter_DSC2220.jpg

I like the backlit effect in this image.

Little-Spiderhunter_DSC2249.jpg

One of the things I like about Little Spiderhunter is its long curve bill and it’s bubbly character.

Lovely picture. I am sad to learn that Mandai Orchid Garden will be gone soon.
Although I have little experience in Mandai Orchid Garden but I must say that it is the most friendly place a photographer can visit and the birds there are easy approach makes bird photography easier. :D

4652132393_d8263d2b5e.jpg

4652751702_64e2421b8f.jpg

Here is my shots on the olive-backed sunbird and the crimson sunbird...

DSCF8150.jpg

DSCF8171.jpg

Keep the thread alive!! ;)

Some of my shots over at MOG..... This is one of the place which you can really get near to the little spider hunter and crimson sunbird. Also a good practise ground for newbies.

All taken using D700 + Tamron 200-500mm

4759461879_646a697f57_b.jpg

4760093218_1cf88c8afc_b.jpg

4760089680_ef6af9c6a0_b.jpg

4759451637_af7813444d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice series from you guys. :thumbsup:
Love the 1st pic of Reno's shot. Very sharp & clean background. :heart:

Nice & good detailed shots, reno! :)

All of the above shots looks great :)

SK,
Thanks for reminder that this beautiful garden will soon be no more.
A real pity to see it move to it's new site and will take years before it can regain it's full glory.
Here's my take on the Brown Throated Sunbird, taken some time ago.
465483148_8onGK-L.jpg

508574468_8vceB-L.jpg

It is sad to to MOG will be gone soon . A great place to bird for newbie and experience guys . Sharing my pic taken there . Not too sure how much it will help but doing my part here hopefully miracles will happen . :cry:

3646174599_8ee0d47cb1_b.jpg

3983208397_5dac0d315b_b.jpg

3784561819_d6ce591c5f_b.jpg

3653521368_280ca90b7e_b.jpg

Sharing my take so far. I need to go back to get the rest before it is closed:

2814150226_3b47becf05.jpg

SK,
Thanks for reminder that this beautiful garden will soon be no more.
A real pity to see it move to it's new site and will take years before it can regain it's full glory.
Here's my take on the Brown Throated Sunbird, taken some time ago.
Nice shot on #! :)

It is sad to to MOG will be gone soon . A great place to bird for newbie and experience guys . Sharing my pic taken there . Not too sure how much it will help but doing my part here hopefully miracles will happen . :cry:
Nice shots, strobby! :):thumbsup:

Sharing my take so far. I need to go back to get the rest before it is closed:
What happened to this poor fella? Looks like it fell into the water.
Nice shot on the eye ;)

I love MOG because being a newbie when I first got my 500mm lens, this was the easiest place I could try bird photography and feeling safe too (a bit of a paranoia here being from M'sia)! Also because of the ease of finding birds around MOG, this was a great place for practice and reshoots. Thanks to JRC for bringing me to MOG first time....and thanks to MOG for the support to photographers!! I do hope that the place will continue.... and continue to bring joy to the many nature lovers, be it photographers or just watchers!

Dont know how to post images here, so just sharing a link to my blog on my experience in MOG....cheers!

http://leepp88.blogspot.com/2009/04/crimson-sunbird-at-mandai-orchid-garden.html

What happened to this poor fella? Looks like it fell into the water.
Nice shot on the eye ;)

It was raining and got all wet. I fledged and disappear the next day together with its parents. :thumbsup: