#####"Save as" or "Save for Web"?#####


Status
Not open for further replies.

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#1
I read that one can retain EXIF with "Save as" but not with "Save for web". But when I tried to "Save as", the colour tones of the the jpeg picture do not turn out as how I had adjusted it to. Whereas with "Save for web", the colour tones are as per how I had adjusted.

Anybody had experienced this or know why the 2 different save modes produced different pictures?
 

~Arcanic~

Senior Member
Feb 27, 2005
2,671
0
0
Westy
#2
i'm not sure, but when i do both, the colours look the same to me...

only save for web makes the file size smaller by removing the EXIF etc (i think?)

i usually just save as only... dun use save for web much.. -_-
 

Horus

New Member
Oct 23, 2002
562
0
0
Northern Singapore
#3
The "save for web" feature strips EXIF info and reduces the actual number of colors for SAFE display on the web. The smaller color palette helps ensure a safer reading compatible with more browsers.

9uowei said:
I read that one can retain EXIF with "Save as" but not with "Save for web". But when I tried to "Save as", the colour tones of the the jpeg picture do not turn out as how I had adjusted it to. Whereas with "Save for web", the colour tones are as per how I had adjusted.

Anybody had experienced this or know why the 2 different save modes produced different pictures?
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#4
If that's the case, the "save for web" will result in "poorer" colour gradiation due to the smaller palette. But from my experience, it seems my picture is worse off when I "save as".

Horus said:
The "save for web" feature strips EXIF info and reduces the actual number of colors for SAFE display on the web. The smaller color palette helps ensure a safer reading compatible with more browsers.
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#6
I thought so too...but already checked that all set to AdobeRGB

+evenstar said:
your colour space settings?
 

#7
aiyar. no wonder lar...

not all programs show the true colours of Adobe RGB. Only dedicated photo programs show Adobe RGB correctly. Other programs show the colours in sRGB, hence colours turn out flat and dull if u shoot in Adobe RGB....
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#8
Right. But my comparison wasn't across different programs.

Both files originated from CS2 after RAW adjustmetns. Just that one was "save as", the other was "save for web".
When I opened both files using the same program, Windows Picture Viewer, I can notice the colour difference.

+evenstar said:
aiyar. no wonder lar...

not all programs show the true colours of Adobe RGB. Only dedicated photo programs show Adobe RGB correctly. Other programs show the colours in sRGB, hence colours turn out flat and dull if u shoot in Adobe RGB....
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#10
Oh really!:think:

Would prefer to "save as" cos I wanna retain the EXIF. In that case, is there any way to adjust Win Pic Viewer to display images to AdobeRGB?

+evenstar said:
Save As: image is still saved as Adobe RGB
Save for Web: EXIF info is removed, image gets "converted" to sRGB

Windows Picture Viewer shows images in sRGB only
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#12
So if that's the case, what's the use of working in AdobeRGB? Although it has a wider colour spectrum, I can never view it in Windows, which will always display in sRGB.

+evenstar said:
nope.

if you don't mind a bit of hassle, you can always use DPP to view the images. alternatively, you can convert the images to sRGB and save another copy
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#13
Just convert it to sRGB for normal uses. If you need to use Adobe RGB you'll know it. Its mostly for press work and professional printing.

Adobe RGB uses a wider colour gamut compared to sRGB, but some programs are only compatible with sRGB so they'll show a reduced colour gamut which results in washed out images.

By the way, most settings in your camera are tuned for amateur/main stream users, so don't change them unless you know exactly what you're doing.
 

Aug 11, 2003
1,004
0
0
Earth,Heaven and Beyond
#14
9uowei said:
So if that's the case, what's the use of working in AdobeRGB? Although it has a wider colour spectrum, I can never view it in Windows, which will always display in sRGB.

Technically windows picture viewer doesn't read embedded profiles.It's non icc-aware actually. Try this. Save a picture embedded with sRGB and open it up in both photoshop and windows picture viewer. Compare the colors, there'll be a difference.
 

Sep 9, 2004
314
0
0
60
Orchard Area
#15
Save as in Photoshop saves with Adobe RGB embedded (assuming that's what you used).

But when any other program in Windows opens such a file, it does so with a limited color gamut, namely sRGB, which results in dull colored images.

Fuji Frontier printers (and Noritsu and Kodak) print in sRGB, so they have the same effect on your pictures that have an Adobe RGB profile.

The solution?

Choose 'Convert to Profile' in your Photoshop menu, which takes the Adobe RGB picture and approximates it the best it can in sRGB. This results in much more vibrant colors when you get prints made.
 

9uowei

New Member
Feb 13, 2006
130
0
0
#16
I have since switched the colour profile in CS2 and Windows to sRGB and the problem is no more.

Thank you guys for the helpful comments. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Feb 6, 2006
14
0
0
#17
Just curious whats the advantage to using adobe rgb and then converting to srgb?
 

theRBK

Senior Member
May 16, 2005
2,048
1
0
#19
For most practical purposes, sRGB is good enough...really...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom