Sat 31 dec - fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
hi,just wanna share with people u guys here, there's 2 places for fireworks.
1. harbour front
2. esplanade.

and can anyone tell me what types of setting should i use for taking fireworks
i 'm using D50, Nikon + 70-300mm + 18-55mm.

Set to manual. Turn to infinity. Use Bulb mode and a black card to control exposure. If not, set shutter to 2-4 secs and see if you are lucky enuf to get beautiful shots.

Astin said:
u forget to say set aperture to f8 or f11, mount camera on tripod, use shutter release cable.
D50 no shutter release cable...

Astin said:
aiya, I always forget that, ok, D50 & D70 users cannot use shutter release cable, u got to use that Nikon remote release instead.

or can use the timer delay

also maybe use f/16, the firework trail should come out better, and then with a shutter of 5-15 secs

Bernard Ong said:
Set to manual. Turn to infinity. Use Bulb mode and a black card to control exposure. If not, set shutter to 2-4 secs and see if you are lucky enuf to get beautiful shots.

Eh.... what's a black card? How to use it? And where to get it? :)

midnight lor

yumyum said:
1. harbour front
2. esplanade.

Siloso Beach , Sentosa, 2 rounds of fireworks -> Midnight and 2 am...

Hmm... Other than a slow shutter speed with small aperature, ISO leh? set low to reduce noise??? What's the best combo?

Youhong said:
Siloso Beach , Sentosa, 2 rounds of fireworks -> Midnight and 2 am...

Hmm... Other than a slow shutter speed with small aperature, ISO leh? set low to reduce noise??? What's the best combo?
ISO set to the lowest.

wildstallion said:
or can use the timer delay

also maybe use f/16, the firework trail should come out better, and then with a shutter of 5-15 secs
The aperture depends on how far away you are from the fireworks..
Basically the aperture controls the thickness of the fireworks and the shutter speed controls how much fireworks is in a shot..

If you're close to the fireworks, use F16, if you're furthur away, go towards F8.

yumyum said:
1. harbour front
2. esplanade.

Bro, in order to do a good shoot, there are some things you have to know.
First, set to ISO 100. Then set the aperture to between f8 and f16, depending on how thick and bright you want your fireworks to be. I believe you know that at f8 the fireworks would look more streamy, thicker and brighter, whilst at f16 they look more like thin-petal colourful flowers.
Then set the shutter to B and keep it open. Some bros here said to use a black card. Why? This is because you want to keep the shutter open and control what the camera sees using the black card. You see something nice you wanna capture, leave the camera as it is on B. But there are times when it's all darkness or fireworks that are not nice. When this happens you just put the card over the lens to 'close the shutter'. Then when nice works come on again, you take away the card and 'open the shutter' again. You comprendez?

Status
Not open for further replies.