Sars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubric

Apr 14, 2002
Somewhere East
lubitelee.blogspot.com
Came across an article by BBC News on SARS. A section on the situation in Singapore can be found here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2884183.stm

Here's an extract:

In Singapore, the Ministry of Health has invoked special powers to keep 740 people under home quarantine in an attempt to try to halt further spread of the disease.

My question is: How has Sars affected you, your family and your friends? I went out last Friday evening to collect photos and there were relatively fewer people around. :(

aye, my colleague's mother-in law is down with sar, heard (not sure how true) that she contacted it from the patient beside her while she was hospitalised.

my colleague who got registered recently has the symptoms for the past week, but is not confirmed to have contacted SARS. heard that her sister-in-law may now contribute to the statistics.

sigh ....

It's terrible indeed. I feel really sorry for the people who have contacted SARS, and am glad the government has taken strong action to quarantine people. Are you in the healthcare profession? :)

The SARS thing makes me mad, sometimes.

On Monday, when I went back to school for the 2nd term, I had a morning sniffle.

The vice-principal had announced during morning assembly for people with flu to step up. Then my home tutor caught me, with 3 other of my classmates.

So my mum had to be called up and told that I had to go see a doctor immediately. All 4 of us were given 'early leave'.

I was hopping mad because I had to miss my first period, Geog lecture (Physical Geog, k.. my weakest) then, I also had facil duty, which I also had to miss. Not to mention the Econs lecture I had later on in the day.

Okay, never mind. But the polyclinic was so crowded that I feared getting SARS there instead of elsewhere. I left the polyclinic 3 and a half hours later. But not before my doctor caught me to go for my overdue blood tests. :(

Oh, by the way, my morning sniffles dried up on the way to the polyclinic. :what:

The blood test was horrible. The nurse was treating me like a teaching aid, teaching the assistant nurse how to draw blood. Hence the needle was inside my vein longer than usual. And they drew 2 tubes of blood. :( The mark of the needle is still on my arm.

I'm not going near clinics any time soon...

i hope that they did not leave blue black marks on you. :D
quite common when it comes to drawing blood from the arms.

Originally posted by iceman
i hope that they did not leave blue black marks on you. :D
quite common when it comes to drawing blood from the arms.

I'll sue them if they did.
But they didn't. ;(

Other occasions when I drew blood, the needle marks usually went off after several hours.

Originally posted by Poledra

The blood test was horrible. The nurse was treating me like a teaching aid, teaching the assistant nurse how to draw blood. Hence the needle was inside my vein longer than usual. And they drew 2 tubes of blood. :( The mark of the needle is still on my arm.

I'm not going near clinics any time soon...

I had reaction to penicillin last time... went SGH
at 3 am the interns couldn't find my veins in the elbow bend, so they drew blood from my inner thigh where the groin is...
and for those drips they tried both hands but poke here poke there just couldn't do it... next day a nurse came and drew blood from the arm like nobody's biz, didn't even pause.
never had respect for interns since that day..

Originally posted by denizenx
I had reaction to penicillin last time... went SGH
at 3 am the interns couldn't find my veins in the elbow bend, so they drew blood from my inner thigh where the groin is...
and for those drips they tried both hands but poke here poke there just couldn't do it... next day a nurse came and drew blood from the arm like nobody's biz, didn't even pause.
never had respect for interns since that day..

I'm sorry to hear about your incident. It's true that nurses are far better as they probably draw blood every day, several times too. They're the pros. But look at it this way, the housemen--and trainee nurses too--have to learn from live patients (not cadavars all the time!), so there are bound to be some who end up being 'guinea pigs'. :p

I was hopping mad because I had to miss my first period, Geog lecture (Physical Geog, k.. my weakest) then, I also had facil duty, which I also had to miss. Not to mention the Econs lecture I had later on in the day.

i'm really amazed you can say this.

Originally posted by Jimmy Liew

me too... if everyone just thinks abt oneself and chooses to expose himself or others to the virus, then it;ll be very difficult to contain the virus. Let's look at the bigger picture.

wah...news just announced...2 weeks holiday for the schools..all levels up to JC....#$%#@%$#....not fair leh..why dun workers in Air-Con i.e. Shopping complex too? hehehe :D

Originally posted by kindred
wah...news just announced...2 weeks holiday for the schools..all levels up to JC....#$%#@%$#....not fair leh..why dun workers in Air-Con i.e. Shopping complex too? hehehe :D

Think of the economy.

actually if it really gets very widespread... then how ah?
cannot be quarantine everyone rite?

hmmm... someone quickly come up with a cure!!!

now Mr Lim Hng Kiang must be stressed ... :devil: see how he deals with this crisis...

anyone remembers this site called sixdegrees.com? it claims that we are linked to ANYBODY on planet earth via 6 people in between... if that's the case, it's time to die....

but not before i take my pictures for a portfolio! :D

Originally posted by Jimmy Liew

You would probably feel the same way as I do if you failed your common tests very badly. And of course, if you were me.

Originally posted by weg
me too... if everyone just thinks abt oneself and chooses to expose himself or others to the virus, then it;ll be very difficult to contain the virus. Let's look at the bigger picture.

All those who had flu had been sent back home. And there had been no reports at school that anybody has SARS at my school. Those who are too sick to come on the first day of school are naturally are at home.

The bigger picture is... The school authorities are making too big a fuss about this. *sigh*

Anyway... Schools are closed for now. To pacify and calm people who are thinking like you.

*hazard gear on*

Perhaps, Pol, you might like to go help out at TTSH to distribute tea and coffee to the exhausted healthcare workers caring for the SARS patients..

instead of fuming that you have missed a lesson...

or else, live with the restrictions and go about the normal business of living...

regards,
argent

*hazard gear off*

Originally posted by iceman
aye, my colleague's mother-in law is down with sar, heard (not sure how true) that she contacted it from the patient beside her while she was hospitalised.

my colleague who got registered recently has the symptoms for the past week, but is not confirmed to have contacted SARS. heard that her sister-in-law may now contribute to the statistics.

sigh ....

erm - I hope you weren't standing too near this colleague?? Me now abit worried cos I met you at SEED yesterday.

No offence intended hor. :eek:

It seems that SARS hits crowded and dense cities worse, such as Singapore, Hong Kong, and Guangzhou, compared to cities in Canada and US which are rather sparse.

So, one way to minimize the spread of SARS is to reduce the density of the population in Singapore.

One way to do this is the following: Citizens with IC numbers ending in 0 and 1 are only allowed to go outside their house on Mondays. For the rest of the week, they have to stay quarantined at home. Similarly, citizens with IC numbers ending in 2 and 3 can only go outside on Tuesdays and stay at home the rest of the week, etc. This way, density will be reduced to 20% and virus spreading will be reduced by 96% (1-0.2*0.2=0.96).

Originally posted by sehsuan
anyone remembers this site called sixdegrees.com? it claims that we are linked to ANYBODY on planet earth via 6 people in between... if that's the case, it's time to die....
that's the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory... i think in SG, it's much closer, more like 3 degrees of separation only.

Status
Not open for further replies.