Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Atypical Pneumonia (?????)

Definition
Atypical pneumonia refer to pneumonia causes by certain uncommon bacteria/viruses ? such as,
Legionella pneumonphila (?????), Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Chamydia pneumoniae etc. which
can be quite severe and lead to high mortality rates. Elderly individuals, smokers and people with
chronic illnesses and weakened immune systems are at a higher risk for this type of pneumonia.

It should be very closely monitored in the situation of cluster occurrence of infection in healthy persons
such as the case in Prince Wales Hospital.

How will you feel and what you should do
? fevers and chills ? loss of appetite (anorexia)
? cough -- may be dry/productive of phlegm
? shortness of breath
? headache
? malaise
? muscular stiffness and aching ? confusion
? diarrhea
? rash

Diagnosis depends on a high level of suspicion. An early Chest X-ray is very helpful. Early antibiotic
treatment for patients who do not response to standard treatment is important. Intravenous fluid
hydration and oxygen therapy are helpful in some patients.

Advice to staff:
Calling your doctor
- Seek medical evaluation if you develop fevers, cough, and/or shortness of breath.
- Be prepare to seek a second medical opinion in the case of persistence of symptoms despite
treatment.

Prevention
- Avoid staying in area with poor ventilation and avoid crowded area;
- Reduce visits to hospitalized friends/relatives as far as possible and do not bring elderly/kids;
- Avoid smoking/smoky environment;
- Avoid traveling to epidemic region or countries;
- Ensure adequate rest and good nutrition to secure personal immunity;
- Avoid close contacts with colleagues, friends or family members with suspicious symptoms;
- Persuade your colleagues or family members to consult doctor if they develop suspicious symptoms.

Who circulated the precautions? Or did you happen to collate the information? Not meaning to flame you but.... just wanted to add a few things. feel free to correct any mistakes.

As far as I know the official definition of SARS is still to be updated. I hear another definition (updated) will be released by tomorrow latest.

As of yet there are no CONFIRMED SARS cases. All cases are PROBABLE. It's a technicality, but a little trivia for you.

Anorexia is not loss of apetite. It's an eating disorder related to loss of apetite but mainly dure to the patient not wanting to eat.

As of now, technically antibiotic treatment DOES NOT help SARS just as antibiotics does not help flu. Why? Both are caused by VIRUS not BACTERIA. Antibiotics only work on bacteria. But then again for SARS treatment is debatable at this point.

Another trivia, patients in the incubation period are non-infective. It's when they develop the illness thta they get infective, at least that's what they say at the moment.. :)

xaoz!

Originally posted by Silverelf

As of yet there are no CONFIRMED SARS cases. All cases are PROBABLE. It's a technicality, but a little trivia for you.

may i respectfully point out if there are no CONFIRMED SARS* cases, what are the 78 people (esp the 11 pple in ICU) doing in TTSH?

SARS* is real, we just can't identify the single (or multiple) key causative agents other than a mysterious virus. And why some people are more affected by it than others (some SARS patients have recovered and gone home)

regards,
argent2

*Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

Originally posted by argent2
may i respectfully point out if there are no CONFIRMED SARS* cases, what are the 78 people (esp the 11 pple in ICU) doing in TTSH?

I DID mention that it was a technicality. As of now, there is not yet a test kit available to CONFIRM beyond a doubt that these are SARS cases. That's not to say that they are NOT SARS. Therefore, on a technicality, if we cannot CONFIRM they are SARS, they are PROBABLE SARS and will be treated along such lines.

Once again, it's just a technicality. I'm not saying that these people are not sick or anything. Or that there is no SARS.

WHO classification of SARS includes that of
1) symptoms like that of the common flu, including that of fever, malaise, cough, but usually no coryza symptoms
2) chest x-ray changes of atypical pneumonia
3) most importantly, a positive contact history with patients with SARS.

I DID mention that it was a technicality. As of now, there is not yet a test kit available to CONFIRM beyond a doubt that these are SARS cases. That's not to say that they are NOT SARS. Therefore, on a technicality, if we cannot CONFIRM they are SARS, they are PROBABLE SARS and will be treated along such lines.

Once again, it's just a technicality. I'm not saying that these people are not sick or anything. Or that there is no SARS.

Actually, SARS is a CLINICAL diagnosis, so you don't need any confirmatory test. Just need to fit the diagnostic criteria - whiteout lungs, desaturation etc. Don't even need to establish the presence of a causative organism.

As for patients in the incubation period being non infective: no comment.

I would like to know what Singapore scientists (not politicians) are doing to solve the SARS problem. So far, the only scientific advances are performed by the Americans, the Germans, etc. in isolating the virus strand etc.

Singapore is afterall aiming to be a major biomedical hub. And now we have a big problem in our own backyard, and what are we doing??? Are Singapore scientists really that impotent compared to those in the west???

I suspect Silverelf IS in the medical profession. ;)

He's right about one thing - antibiotics are fairly useless against SARS. There's an unfortunate confusion with regard to the term "atypical pneumonia". It's just a descriptive term, not a diagnosis, and those doing an internet search on "atypical pneumonia" would probably come across literature describing Mycoplasma or Legionella pneumonia, which CAN be treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately SARS is believed to be caused by a virus, not related to the organisms I just mentioned, against which antibiotics are not effective. That's why they're given antivirals (Ribavirin). The antibiotics are given to prevent secondary bacterial infection occurring in lungs weakened by the SARS virus.

I should explain about what I mean by CLINICAL diagnosis: it's basically a judgement call by the doctor assessing the case, as to whether or not a patient can be considered to have SARS, based on the diagnostic criteria. In that sense, Silverelf is right, that technically there is no gold standard test where you can say 100% yes this guy has SARS and that guy doesn't.

So we're both basically saying the same thing.

And no, I don't work for the civil service, even though I speak this way. :D

Maybe silver think that by posting this will cause unwanted panic among us.

I dun know much abt the virus but I know it's deadly. Just want all of us to be extra cautious abt this.

You can't be too overly careful when it comes to your life and your loved ones.

Just go consult a doctor when you have any syndromes.
I am one of those that dun consult a doctor unless seriously ill. :p

Read in today's newspaper there is a 4th index case of a 29-yr old woman who deliberately went to HK despite the government warning about going there and brought back SARS...in the process most probably going to affect those in the airplane and airport. Even the rugby team goes to HK.

What's wrong with these people ? Don't know what's going on in their heads.

Originally posted by kiwitan
Read in today's newspaper there is a 4th index case of a 29-yr old woman who deliberately went to HK despite the government warning about going there and brought back SARS...in the process most probably going to affect those in the airplane and airport. Even the rugby team goes to HK.

What's wrong with these people ? Don't know what's going on in their heads.

And the worst part is that the whole plane passengers + the taxi driver may be infected.... As I had read in reports that she was already sick when she took the plane....

OMG.

Please note that I AM NOT trying to cause a debate but people seem to think I am. I apologise for certain information that I posted but I thought it'd be interesting to know. Guess not.

Originally posted by Pain
"Once again, it's just a technicality. I'm not saying that these people are not sick or anything. Or that there is no SARS"

Oui, you SARs already har?

Here is someone trying to warn all of us, there you are posting weird information.

There are some here who replied and are in the medical profession. Are you?

note: SARs, when pronounced in Mandarin.

YES, I AM in the Health Profession.

I would like to know what Singapore scientists (not politicians) are doing to solve the SARS problem. So far, the only scientific advances are performed by the Americans, the Germans, etc. in isolating the virus strand etc.

About the research being conducted in Singapore, the viruses that are the suspects of our researchers are different from the ones being suspected in Canada and Germany, they have suspects and are working hard on it.

Maybe silver think that by posting this will cause unwanted panic among us.

Dear binbeto, How can I be causing unwanted panic? If you had digested what I posted, you will realise that I am trying to cut down on the unnecessary misinformation. In my opnion, misinformation is MORE dangerous than anything.

For example, let's say everyone thinks the only vector of disease spread is by air then they will only take precautions against that and neglect other areas, is that not true? I am not trying to say that you are wrong, binbeto, in fact it is good that you have bothered to share your information but I resent the remark about me trying to cause panic. Show me the evidence that I cause more panic than you do.

For your information, the issue of "PROBABLE or CONFIRMED SARS" was straight from the mouth of a consultant in TTSH who is currently treating SARS patient. It's just a freaking technicality!!

Finally, thanks to streetshooter who sees what I'm getting at. Life's hard these days.

finally to sum this up,
currently there is no cure for this SARS thingey. Even ribavirin is not useful. yes, it is an antiviral but if u check this drug up, it is used mainly on the herpes group of viruses. SARS is postulated to be from the paramyxo group of viruses which is not in the same family as the herpes group.
therefore, just ensure adequate precaution. and that means if u think u could have encountered someone with SARS, check up with a doctor.
and yes, SARS is a clinical diagnosis as it is probably expensive to do a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) to identify the virus for every patient and it is useless to know that there is such a virus without knowing how to treat it.
Current treatment now is to just respiratory support and nothing more. No drug is currently available to treat...
hope this clears up everyone's idea about SARS.

Dear binbeto, How can I be causing unwanted panic? If you had digested what I posted, you will realise that I am trying to cut down on the unnecessary misinformation. In my opnion, misinformation is MORE dangerous than anything.

Oh.. you got me wrong.. I am saying you might think I will cause a panic if I posted this info. Just a guess..

Ya.. I agreed that misinformation is dangerous. I posted it becos it seem to match those reported on the media.. so I post it.. :)

"China’s attempts to cover up the outbreak, which first emerged in November, contributed to the severity of the epidemic. Only two weeks ago did Chinese officials finally present a report on the illness to the WHO. The team quickly verified that the pneumonia outbreak in Guangdong was likely caused by the same pathogen. Chinese authorities raised their estimate of affected patients in Guangdong from 305 to 792, but insisted that in Beijing only 10 people had contracted the disease and three had died. Health workers suspect that China is understating the numbers. One Beijing doctor, who asked not to be identified, knew of several university students with a SARS-like illness. “We were told to keep our mouths shut about it,” she told NEWSWEEK. Journalists, too, were muzzled."

http://www.msnbc.com/news/892852.asp

Originally posted by binbeto
Oh.. you got me wrong.. I am saying you might think I will cause a panic if I posted this info. Just a guess..

Ya.. I agreed that misinformation is dangerous. I posted it becos it seem to match those reported on the media.. so I post it.. :)

Ok, then I apologise for misunderstanding you on that point. Still I think it's good you care to share your info... thanks! :)

Well, just out today that the SARS is more infectious than originally assumed, it is possible to get it withink 3 feet, and the virus can live as long as 3 hours.

Sigh.... Turbulent.

Is it air-borne?

The Poly people petitioned the govt to close their schools ...
The JC people petitioned for the junior colleges to be opened ...
We working people should petition for a 2 weeks public holiday ...

hehee hee

Originally posted by cheechee
Well, just out today that the SARS is more infectious than originally assumed, it is possible to get it withink 3 feet, and the virus can live as long as 3 hours.

Sigh.... Turbulent.

Is it air-borne?

Originally posted by Chokky
Current treatment now is to just respiratory support and nothing more. No drug is currently available to treat...
hope this clears up everyone's idea about SARS.

Its indeed that's no immediate cure for SARS, but what bout those who had been discharged here? Also heard from my sis who stay in HK that ard 40-60% of HK SARS patients have been discharged. Although da rate of it spreading is much more terrifying...

So are these discharged patients fully recovered already?

Status
Not open for further replies.