SARS photo exhibition - Proceeds donated to the Courage Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

tert

Apr 18, 2003
Melbourne
Visit site
Hi Fellow ClubSnappers,

I have a friend who is very keen on holding a photography exhibition on SARs in Singapore. The main theme would be how the lives of everyday Singaporeans are affected by the disease. (the hype and fear may have abated a significant bit but hopefully we would still be able to get some interesting submissions)

The main draw would be this: We would need photographers to go about Singapore to take photographs coinciding with the above theme. We would hope to exhibit at least 25-30 photographs in all. All selected submissions will be enlarged to a size roughly equivalent of a A3 dimensions.

Please note that this is NOT a photography competition. The purpose of the exhibition is to showcase the lives of Singaporeans in face of SARS. All proceeds and donations will go to the Courage Fund. Regretably, we would not be able to pay for the submissions. We have not finalised how the fund raiser should be conducted but we're looking at probably an admission fee system or a donation system.

We are in the process of speaking to sponsors to fund the printing and the rental/or purchase of display unit. It is proposed that the exhibition be held in the Youth Park (he's managing a cafe in the Youth Park). The National Youth Council (who administers the Youth Park) has agreed to allow for the event to be held there.

Many of the details with regards to the exhibition has not yet been cast in stone, and we'll just throwing ideas back and forth to see what's workable.

The main issue here is whether we can garner enough photographs to hold the exhibition [we cannot hold the exhibitions without a sufficient number of photographs]. Hence we would like to extend our invitation to all CS members and their friends to support the above exhibition.

We would need to know how many photographers are willing to take some time off to shoot for the above event. The following would be a name list to get a rough idea of how much support we can get. Please write you name in the list if you are willing to support the event. We'll compile the numbers in about a week and decided whether the exhibition is feasible.

Be part of the Coalition of the Willing!

Thanks in advance for your response. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have with regards to the exhibition. :)

1. Tert

Hi,

I was the friend Terence was talking about.

Just some clarifications. There will be about sixty photos on display actually and each photo will be blown up to the size of 72" x 48" (That's a pretty big photo) so all you people out there need to take note, especially if you are using a digital camera that is not able to take photos in a resolution fine enough to be enlarged to that size.

Also the cost of the printing might have to be undertaken by you if we are unable to find someone willing to pay for it... we are still looking.

As this is a non-profit project, i hope that you guys out there will be willing ot chip in whatever you can to make this work.

Let us know your thoughts and we see if we can refine our plan to make it more attractive....

Btw, the exhibition ground will probably be at the youth park.... Good location considering the large number of cars that drive by and the people that gather on weekends.

Let us know if you are interested. We are working on a very short time line and if everything goes well, hopefully we can do our first exhibit in July...

Cheers,
Wei Yong

can shoot film? i don't mind the cost of film and developing, but need to know if you guys can develop/print from slides or negs...

well...i dunno wat i can do..but i certainly hope to do my bit...count me in...anyway...will there say, be a meetup in the near future?? btw, i use film....

larry: onz??

;)

I'll like to help out in this in anyway that I can, for this much worthty cause.

I'm using both a Digital Camera, Canon A40 and an Olympus zoom P&S. So don't think can do much phototaking, taking into consideration the size of the printouts.

Anyway, I can help in the setting up and any labour work :)
And I do have some contacts of printing etc if anyone do need.

Cheers!:thumbsup:

I dont mind chipping in on effort but I dont think my lens is up to the task of A3. Its a sigma 28-200 DL Aspehrical, can someone enlighten me on this issue? Else I'll probably go get a 50mm prime or can someone lend me some proper Minolta lenses. ;p

Keep me posted bout it.

Originally posted by ralphii82sg
larry: onz??
if they got no prob printing from slides/negs, then no prob. actually all we need is some helpful member with a good film scanner to convert all the selected slides/negs to digital and print from there.

i would love to volunteer a film scanner, but alas, mine is no more liao... ;p

Originally posted by nivlekx
I dont mind chipping in on effort but I dont think my lens is up to the task of A3. Its a sigma 28-200 DL Aspehrical, can someone enlighten me on this issue?
actually, the lens has little to do with how big you can blow up to IMHO. it's what film would use and how much grain is there. personally i don't think you have a problem using your current setup. just need to make sure your pixs are nice and sharp... :D

Originally posted by Larry
actually, the lens has little to do with how big you can blow up to IMHO. it's what film would use and how much grain is there. personally i don't think you have a problem using your current setup. just need to make sure your pixs are nice and sharp... :D

Rite, count me in then!!! I hope Fuji Superia 400 is good enuff.

Er.... i think i click on the wrong thing when posting my last message.... started a new thread instead of continuing this one....

GO check out the GOOD STUFF msg and lets continue here....

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)
4)
5)
6)

will like to help too ..... if u dont mind my poor skillz ..... ;p

:D

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5)
6)

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5) yeocolin
I'm interested, but can only confirm my participation after knowing details of any schedules or meetings which may be involved.

Currently, my undergrad course is suspended cos of SARS and I don't know how the course may suddenly cram a heavy workload at me right after when my course starts again, which by the way, hasn't confirmed the commencement date yet.

Cost of printing may be a concern for me. Printing from slides at larger than 8R will surely burn a hole in my pocket.

Nonetheless, I take this as a chance to polish my photography skills with a theme in mind and do my bit to help my fellow healthcare colleagues.

Holler Holler Holler!!! :D

Any more photographers out there who might want to get involve in this project?

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5) yeocolin
6.)ralphii82sg

well, i will have to see how the sechdule and plans are...can't bring a cam to the place i m in though...

;)

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5) yeocolin
6.)ralphii82sg
7)giddygoat

total newby here but if you guys dun mind having me along, i'm game.
need to know how we are going to do this though. my work is pretty heavy now but will try and make it.,

Originally posted by Wei Yong
Hi,

I was the friend Terence was talking about.

Just some clarifications. There will be about sixty photos on display actually and each photo will be blown up to the size of 72" x 48" (That's a pretty big photo) so all you people out there need to take note, especially if you are using a digital camera that is not able to take photos in a resolution fine enough to be enlarged to that size.

Also the cost of the printing might have to be undertaken by you if we are unable to find someone willing to pay for it... we are still looking.

As this is a non-profit project, i hope that you guys out there will be willing ot chip in whatever you can to make this work.

Let us know your thoughts and we see if we can refine our plan to make it more attractive....

Btw, the exhibition ground will probably be at the youth park.... Good location considering the large number of cars that drive by and the people that gather on weekends.

Let us know if you are interested. We are working on a very short time line and if everything goes well, hopefully we can do our first exhibit in July...

Cheers,
Wei Yong

When do you guys plan to hold this exhibition?

ClubSNAP is working with the organiser Orchard Business Associations for the coming Singapore Street Festival that fall on 31 May to 15 June 2003.

Let's meet up, perharps during the coming SEED so we can discuss more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.