SARS photo exhibition - Proceeds donated to the Courage Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Simon
When do you guys plan to hold this exhibition?

ClubSNAP is working with the organiser Orchard Business Associations for the coming Singapore Street Festival that fall on 31 May to 15 June 2003.

Let's meet up, perharps during the coming SEED so we can discuss more details.

Thanks for all your support.

We do hope we can hold the exhibition in July. I'll check with my friend as to whether he is good for SEED this wednesday. Have some writeups and proposals that we can all look at to get a better idea of what we have in mind.

Will confirm with you again. :)

Hi there,

great idea u have...I've actually been speaking to one of my other friend (giddygoat) that i'd like to do a "story profile" of the unsung heroes behind the SARS limelight, i.e. the pple behind the doctors, behind the nurses:- most of the time, doctors prescribe medication to treat patients, but all the medications dun come from them, these medications that we take are the products of long, tedious, sheer hard work and concentration of the human brain to come up with ingenious ways to tackle a medical problem, and the unsung heroes that i am talking about are the medical scientists and technologists behind the drugs, behind the treatment and diagnostic equipment/methods that our doctors and nurses use.

Sad to say, most of u guys will not have access to a research lab unless they let u do so. As such, i'll try my best to take some pictures of these pple at work and will contribute to this exhibition.

Pardon me if my shots are amateurish and not good enuf, just wana highlight that there are others besides doctors and nurses that deserve some limelight and praise.

just IMHO :)

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5) yeocolin
6.)ralphii82sg
7)giddygoat
8) windraider
9) isomers007
10) plsoong (will focus on pictures in the labs)

Originally posted by plsoong
Hi there,

great idea u have...I've actually been speaking to one of my other friend (giddygoat) that i'd like to do a "story profile" of the unsung heroes behind the SARS limelight, i.e. the pple behind the doctors, behind the nurses:- most of the time, doctors prescribe medication to treat patients, but all the medications dun come from them, these medications that we take are the products of long, tedious, sheer hard work and concentration of the human brain to come up with ingenious ways to tackle a medical problem, and the unsung heroes that i am talking about are the medical scientists and technologists behind the drugs, behind the treatment and diagnostic equipment/methods that our doctors and nurses use.

Sad to say, most of u guys will not have access to a research lab unless they let u do so. As such, i'll try my best to take some pictures of these pple at work and will contribute to this exhibition.

Pardon me if my shots are amateurish and not good enuf, just wana highlight that there are others besides doctors and nurses that deserve some limelight and praise.

Thanks plsoong.

That's a great idea. Will definately enrich the perspective and scope of the exhibition...

Don't worry to much about the quality of the photos... Just get up close and personal ;)

Not to the virus though... :D

Originally posted by tert
Thanks plsoong.

That's a great idea. Will definately enrich the perspective and scope of the exhibition...

Don't worry to much about the quality of the photos... Just get up close and personal ;)

Not to the virus though... :D

:bsmilie:

if i can get up close and personal with the virus, erm i think all of u will be on HQO liao :D

Thanx tert, please do PM me as to when we're meeting up and stuff liddat, coz i'll be rather busy now that i've got some results from my experiments :p

As a matter of fact, i think i've got some pictures liao, just waiting for the roll to finish liao then can select the better ones for u guys to preview and pick and put up.

BTW, we can put a "proprietory" thingey on our photos rite? (sollie for the newbiec questions)

Hi all....

Sorry for the brief lapse in communication.

And yes, we still hope to hold the exhibition.

Had a brief meeting with Wei Yong. He's unable to make it for SEED this wednesday, but i'll be able to.

What we've largely discussed today is the theme of the exhibition. We are thinking of something that is different from what we typically see all around us. Thinking of reflect the true, fearful and morbid side of SARS.

All we see on TV and the news are smiley faces of health care workers, hand in hand filled with determination to fight the disease; of singaporeans trying to get back to normality as much as possible. but is that we is truly going on behind the scenes? From a discussion with a friend today, i found out that behind the smiles, and strength and the hope lies a huge amount of fear, of frustrations, of loneliness, of tension...

...Of health workers fearing for their lives and for their family. Of suspected sars patients who know that the day they were wheeled into the hospital could be the very last day that they will ever see their family ever again. the fear and lonliness and frustration of people quarrantined... the elder generations worried that they will not get a proper burial and funeral when they pass on....

we do not want to be portraying what we commonly see on TV. we hope to bring people behind the scenes of sars... not physically or explicitly but to invoke their emotions, to get them to actually feel as if they could be the next one...

[Sorry, i not to creative especially with my words... i'm an economist by training... :p ]

I'll be going down to SEED on wednesday... It's my first time so be gentle. I would be glad if people who would like to get involve in this project be able to come down and we'll do a bit of discussion...

Let's set the time: say 6pm at the food court issit? :rbounce:

By the way, Wei Yong has contact a fair bit of companies like Fuji, Panasonic and some others... Some were luke warm, some were interested... we'll see how the funding aspect goes. I would leave him to tell you guys more his side of the story...

sorry, dun think i can make it this wednesday. need to run my experiment then and it would take the whole day.
maybe if plsoong can make it then i'll find out from him.

Originally posted by giddygoat
sorry, dun think i can make it this wednesday. need to run my experiment then and it would take the whole day.
maybe if plsoong can make it then i'll find out from him.

Sure... no problems...

By the way, do you guys know what exactly is done with the moolas raised in the courage fund? :dunno:

I'll be down to collect slide from Dagger, but will be there at about 7pm. Tert, maybe you can give us your contact or real name or something like that so that we know how to contact/find/recognise you.

Anyway, I'm not certain if I can really contribute much, mainly due to my work and whether I can actually take some meaningful pictures. Will discuss more when we meet.

Originally posted by yeocolin
I'll be down to collect slide from Dagger, but will be there at about 7pm. Tert, maybe you can give us your contact or real name or something like that so that we know how to contact/find/recognise you.

Anyway, I'm not certain if I can really contribute much, mainly due to my work and whether I can actually take some meaningful pictures. Will discuss more when we meet.

Ya... Good idea. :D

My hp is 97635760.

Hmm... how do i describe myself? Heavy! :eek: Aiyah... I'll be wearing a pink pokka dot with hot green pants... :heart:

Just call me on my mobile if anyone is coming... if we can't come out with anything concrete, then just have coffee lor... :p

I was just wondering about the courage fund ... Thought it would be good to know the cause for what we're contributing to. Found the following on SMA's website:

About the Courage Fund

The Courage Fund is launched to provide relief to the families of needy SARS patients.

The Fund is named in honor of all healthcare workers in Singapore, especially those who have fallen or suffered in the battle against SARS. This fund raising effort is jointly organised by National Healthcare Group (NHG), Singapore Health Services (SingHealth), Singapore Medical Association (SMA), Singapore Nurses' Association (SNA), Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) and National Council of Social Services (NCSS). Funds which have been collected by SMA and SNA for the SARS relief Fund will be pooled together with 'The Courage Fund'. The Community Chest will support by providing donation boxes for the collection of donations from the public.

The Fund will provide an avenue for Singaporeans to show their appreciation and support for the dedication and sacrifices of healthcare workers in caring for SARS patients and in keeping the public healthcare system running during this difficult time. Their dedication, selflessness and courage in fulfilling their duty, while risking their own lives, bring honor to the healthcare profession and is a source of inspiration to the human spirit.

President S R Nathan will be the Patron-in-Chief of the Fund.

The Fund will have a Board of Trustees chaired by Mr Michael Lim (chairman of NHG). National Council of Social Services will oversee the disbursement of the fund independently.

The Fund Working Committee, chaired by Dr Lim Suet Wun (chief executive officer of TTSH), comprises management representatives from the various joint organisers.

Does anyone have any experience on how the Courage Fund ACTUALLY function? :)

hi there...i wun be able to make it down for seed this wednesday..maybe u guys can update me instead...thanks~

:)

Hi Tert,

I'll be going down to meet up with one of my friend tomolo at the SEED,

but won't be there THAT early

prolly about 6:30 or so

:)

hope to meet u there :)

Hi All...

Since most people will be there later, i will be there at 1830 hrs. :)

See ya...

Hi soong and colin

Nice meeting you people. Thanks for coming down today for the short discussion regarding the exhibition.

I'll be leaving the country for a couple of weeks, during which my Wei Yong will do the followup on the status of the exhibition.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
Terence

1) Tert
2) FOOXX
3)nivlekx
4)Wei Yong
5) yeocolin
6.)ralphii82sg
7)giddygoat
8) windraider
9) isomers007
10) dehuis (count me in if my losuy skills up to it!)

colin: fearful and ugly side? hahah take photo of HOs swearing that they go in at 0700 and leave at 2000 coz SARs see every patient need to change gown damn slow or coz reg order septic workout for everyone whose temp above 38! take blood til xiao!!!

Originally posted by tert
Hi soong and colin

Nice meeting you people. Thanks for coming down today for the short discussion regarding the exhibition.

I'll be leaving the country for a couple of weeks, during which my Wei Yong will do the followup on the status of the exhibition.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
Terence

hi terence,
it was fantastic meeting you.

my roll is still stuck inside my lab, haven't had the time to go develope it yet..:embarassed:

but i'll be going to discuss with one or 2 of the scientific company regarding about any kinda sponsorship for this exhibition.

meanwhile, enjoy your trip and when u get back, we should call for a more focussed meeting of those who are still interested.

Cheers,

PL

Status
Not open for further replies.