Sars and Government measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joywalker

Mar 22, 2003
East
joywalker.blogspot.com
Let us be realistic.Until the cure is found, what the government can do now is to slow down the spread of the virus. When one gets the virus,even with the best health care facilities,it is one's immune system that conquer it.Lets just hope the scientists can find a cure soon,if not,eventually,everyone will get it.Those who are strong enough will survive.Think of it as a natural population control.

Survival of the fittest? Culling of the weak? Okok let's not go down that road... I'm no believer of doomsday prophecies but they do come to mind...

Maybe that's your opinion... But trust me those of us who have people dear to us who are either elderly, sickly or very young don't want to take our chances...

Hi Meanie,

Yes,I can see your concern but the virus is spreading into more areas in Singapore ,not to mention how it has spread across the world.There's only that much a government can do and they also agree that it is not possible to have complete shutdown.

Nobody wants to be sick or even death from this virus.Like I said, the measures can only slow things down.The root solution is to find the cure. Delaying will not help much,except to give more time for the scientists and to control the no. of sick ppl. Society can still function with just a handful of infected but will collapse when one third of population is down with the virus.At the very least,the government has prevented that from happening.

As long as ppl goes to work or go to market,living life as usual, the chance of getting the virus will be there. Living with SARS also means living with a ticking bomb.You'll never know when you are the next to get it.

Just want to share my views,lol, :kok: Love this one!! :D

hey just a sideline thought:

suppose someone (person A) get infected by the SARS virus and recovers naturally

then what happens if this same person A gets exposed to and infected by the virus again? will he be automatically immune and experience no apparent effects or will he go thru another round of natural recovery process? or something else different will happen?

any bio people care to explain? thanks

The SARS virus was first detected in Southeast Asia and is now spreading across the world.

These are the most up-to-date details as of April 22:

Total number of probable cases: 3,916

Confirmed death toll: 225

Australia: Three cases reported.

Brazil: Two cases reported.

Canada: 139 cases reported. 14 dead.

China: 2,001 cases reported. 92 dead.

France: Five cases reported.

Germany: Six cases reported.

Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region): 1,402 cases reported. 94 dead, including a patient who was medically transferred from Vietnam.

India: One case reported.

Indonesia: One case reported.

Italy: Three cases reported.

Ireland: One case reported.

Japan: Five cases reported.

Kuwait: One case reported.

Malaysia: Six cases reported. One dead.

Mongolia: Three cases.

Philippines: Two case reported. One dead.

Romania: One case reported.

Singapore: 184 cases reported. 16 dead.

South Africa: One case reported.

Spain: One case reported.

Sweden: Three cases reported.

Switzerland: One case reported.

Taiwan: 29 cases reported.

Thailand: Seven cases reported. Two dead.

United Kingdom: Six cases reported.

United States: 39 cases reported.

Vietnam: 63 cases reported. Five dead.

(Sources: World Health Organization; Hong Kong Department of Health; China Ministry of Health; Health Canada; Singapore Ministry of Health)

The only country with the expertise and money to find a vaccine is the United States. The rest of the world is simply not scientifically advanced enough to do so. Until SARS hits the US really hard, the US researchers have other problems to worry about. So, pragmatically speaking, a vaccine for SARS within the next 5 years is never going to happen.

This has to be the working assumption for any Asian government containing SARS. Pinning your hopes on a vacinne is dreaming and irresponsible. Forget about a vacinne and devise even more stringent and harsh containment strategies.

At this point, there is no evidence to suggest that a person becomes immune to the virus after contracting it.

Originally posted by ckhaos
Pinning your hopes on a vacinne is dreaming and irresponsible. Forget about a vacinne and devise even more stringent and harsh containment strategies.

I believe WHO is doing their best and I'm hopeful that they will find a vaccine soon. Even if it take them years to do so.

How much more stringent and harsh containment strategies can one come up with?? Put all the infected people into an area until either the victims or the virus dies off?

*Sigh* One tiny virus already like that liao. Imagine more serious stuff like biochemicals! People will drop like flies!!

No matter what, the virus is going cause a fair share of damage on our economies and lifes. Till then, be clean, be healthy and brace the impact it will cause.

anyone read 'the stand' by stephen king? the human population was washed out by a virus...and all started out becos a family escaped quarantine. freaky. juz hope they find de vaccine.

Originally posted by Joywalker
I believe WHO is doing their best and I'm hopeful that they will find a vaccine soon. Even if it take them years to do so.

Thinking that a SARS vaccine will surface is naive thinking. THERE WILL BE NO SARS VACCINE, pragmatically speaking. The only chance that the world will have a SARS vaccine is for the US research facilities to get involved. And currently they are not.

This is not a trivial point to dismiss. National policies must be formulated on this assumption, that there is no foreseeable hope of a vacinne.

The sooner people accept this fact, the easier containment strageties will work.

Hello, ummm I think there is still hope to keep the disease under control. I think there is a threshold at some point which once you cross the critical barrier the disease will spiral out of control unless we quarantine everyone and keep contact with others to a bare minimum... or any other severe measures that will clamp our economy and way of life into a standstill. I'm looking at Hong Kong as a thermometer to that kinda scenario. Will it spiral out of control over there? Already there are cases of more resistant strains of SARS there that are not responding as well to treatment.

When that happens here, people who visted hospitals, other SARS affected countries(the so called 'high risk' people right now) will no longer be the only ones we have to be wary of, instead there's no way to trace the disease (index, primary, secondary, tieriary...) People will take a lot of precautions (wear masks etc and avoid high exposure areas i.e. shopping malls) People can no longer keep to our way of life... We will become paranoid and isolated. The might be further repercussions such as the breakdown of society but perhaps that is in the worst case scenarios.

Ok, this might all sound a little far fetched, but it's possible if things turn out like that. The government have taken measures, but there needs to be a compromise btw extreme measures and keeping our way of life don't you think? I'm glad I'm not the one who makes the decisions that affects all of us.

I remember there were some talk some time back with a few pharmeceutical(spelling?) companies into researching a cure or vaccine for SARS but they said they they would not do so because at such an early stage of the disease it was not financially viable. I take it that they mean they would not be able to recover the costs of R & D or it would not be profitable if they were to venture on such a project? Is this true? Does anyone remember this? How does it make you feel?

Please don't flame me this is only a point of view.

Originally posted by Meanie

I remember there were some talk some time back with a few pharmeceutical(spelling?) companies into researching a cure or vaccine for SARS but they said they they would not do so because at such an early stage of the disease it was not financially viable. I take it that they mean they would not be able to recover the costs of R & D or it would not be profitable if they were to venture on such a project? Is this true? Does anyone remember this? How does it make you feel?

There are currently NO laboratories in the world that is engaged in finding a vacinne for SARS. The equipment, manpower, skills, talent, money to do so are prohibitive. Only the best research labs in the US have the capability to do so. SARS is not top priority for the US labs right now, who, by the way, is trying to figure out HIV, cancer, among other more pressing problems.

Singaporeans should realize that, short of a miracle, a vaccine is not the solution to the SARS problem. The only solution is containment.

Can anyone provide info on the number of deaths over time in Singapore. I only have 2 data points.

16-Apr 12
22-Apr 16

SARS and the US- The great almighty US of A will not get involved in SARS research in any meaningful form until it has struck them hard. The US is too busy milking the Iraqi's of their oil. Make no mistake the US will probably find the cure and will blow its own trumpet yet again about how they came to save the world.

Just like how they did it it WW2. Of course they would like us to convieniently forget that the US refused to get involved in the war until Japan bombed pearl harbour.

Just like they would like us to forget that the US of A supplied Saddam and Co the weapons, chemicals and turned a blind eye to him using it in the iran-iraq war.

Oh wait didn't they fund that Osama guy too? Nuff said don't you think?
Liberators and saviours? Think again.

Originally posted by Jason Ho
The SARS virus was first detected in Southeast Asia and is now spreading across the world.

These are the most up-to-date details as of April 22:

Total number of probable cases: 3,916
Sources: World Health Organization; Hong Kong Department of Health; China Ministry of Health; Health Canada; Singapore Ministry of Health)

wonder how many countries post their true figures....esp those that are next to HK and Singapore....the figures seems to be too low....

The usual suspects will cover up or doctor their figures of course. At least we should be glad that our gov is at the very least semi transparent with us. I for one am extremely happy that the gov is taking stiffer measures against these quarantine (sp?) breakers.

The media should stop crucifying Esther who was innocently on a holiday trip. It could have been you or me in her shoes. They should be in fact publicly humiliating these inconsiderate and irresponsible people.

I'm amazed how SGH was taken down just because of a family of blinking idiots who were on quarantine and lied to the docs and deliberately broke their quarantine. Just imagine one person caused so many others to suffer just because they were selfish and being typical ugly singaporeans.

Originally posted by PaulSeow

The media should stop crucifying Esther who was innocently on a holiday trip. It could have been you or me in her shoes. They should be in fact publicly humiliating these inconsiderate and irresponsible people.

I'm amazed how SGH was taken down just because of a family of blinking idiots who were on quarantine and lied to the docs and deliberately broke their quarantine. Just imagine one person caused so many others to suffer just because they were selfish and being typical ugly singaporeans.

I was watching TV and listening to radio channel from HongKong and these incident were reported too

let's say if u have some of the SARS symptom (*touch wood*) will u really go check into hosiptal and kenna at least 10-14 days quarantine or just stay at home and pray that it is just normal fever?

was having lunch yesterday and overheard someone sitting in another table that he will rather stay at home than go to hosiptal to check up, not only becos of the quarantine but also becos one may come home with more virus after a trip to hospital

that's why I fear those who has it will keep mum about it coz it would either cost them their jobs or cost them to be labelled as infected and avoid yhem....

and these are potential time-bombs if they keep quiet....

Originally posted by ckhaos
The only country with the expertise and money to find a vaccine is the United States. The rest of the world is simply not scientifically advanced enough to do so.

??

Why only USA?:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.