Sarawak - travel advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Hi,

I am planning to travel in Sarawak Malaysia for a few days (about 5 days) in end Nov. Can anyone suggest an itinerary for me? My interest is photography (anything that might be interesting).

Thanks for any input!
tom

Anyone? BTW anyone has been to Mulu Cave?

Hi guys, am changing the trip to Macau/HK instead. However, if you have any info regarding Sarawak, please do share it here. Thanks!

tom

Nov is not a good time to go to Mulu. Monsoon. I think some caves might be closed because of flooding, but don't take my word for it, I've been planning to go for years but never had the chance. Kuching itself is quite alright for photo. Wait for heavy rain at noon, and then sun to come out and walk around the Main Baazar area. Happened to me once and I took some of the most contrasty pictures this part of the world. (something with clearer air?)

There are other places I'm thinking about but then you'll need a local to bring you around. Sarawak is BIG.

Thanks Brian! Any photos to show about Kuching?

Tom, there's a guy here by the nick of Kuching. He (Michael Lo) is resident in Kuching and travels extensively every weekend to explore various parts of Sarawak and sometimes nearby Kalimantan. If you wish to plan itinerary to Sarawak I can pass you his contact.

Search the landscape forum for his posts.

tomshen said:
With my ex-gf ;p

I like your arrangememt ..... ;)

Anyway, i feel Kuching is a little boring. Have not been there for about 5 years already. The last time I was there was on a 21 days YEP Project that made us stay in the longhouse. That was a very interesting experience.

The city can do some photography, especially in the bazaar and also along the waterfront. Otherwise can venture to their version of Chinatown and Little India for some street and lifestyle photos. If you are adventurous, then can take a day hiking trip to Bako National Park. Got to take a boat trip there and along the way can see sea-stacks and at the park, chances are (if you are lucky) sighting of Probicus (?) Monkey. I remember a very scenic hiking trail that would end at the tip of a cliff ...

Can also do a day trip to one of the longhouse ... bus ride +boat ride again ... and when you enter the longhouse, they will make you drink a cup of rice-wine as a gesture of welcome. Then they will put on some cultural performances and some hunting demonstration. Can be worth a trip ...

Sarawak Culture Village .... what else do i need to say ... tourist attraction housing all the major (7 or 8) tribes of Kuching area ...

Damai Rainforest Resort seems to be a favourite accomodation with very nice rooms and quite beach front ... otherwise for those with a lot of budget then the Hilton Batang Ai Resort ... but very far from town (isolated near a beautiful lake).

Maybe the above will come in handy if you next plan to visit Kuching.

But I think seriously, 5 days may not be enough if you are venturing into the Mulu Cave or the Pinniacles Area.

RGDs

hwchoy said:
Tom, there's a guy here by the nick of Kuching. He (Michael Lo) is resident in Kuching and travels extensively every weekend to explore various parts of Sarawak and sometimes nearby Kalimantan. If you wish to plan itinerary to Sarawak I can pass you his contact.

Search the landscape forum for his posts.
Thanks man! I have seen his photos as well, very interesting. You got contact? Maybe I PM him before I plan the trip next time. Thanks again.

Long Thai Bean said:
I like your arrangememt ..... ;)
Hey thanks! Lots of helpful info. Yes I do think Mulu Cave is too far away from Kuching. I might go to Mulu via Mili (not sure this is correct). Think the caves are more fun but Kuching (cat city) has many nice reviews too.

tomshen said:
Thanks man! I have seen his photos as well, very interesting. You got contact? Maybe I PM him before I plan the trip next time. Thanks again.

later I will pm you his contact. better for you to email him as I don't think he comes to CS very often.

hwchoy said:
later I will pm you his contact. better for you to email him as I don't think he comes to CS very often.
ok thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.