Sarah Silver Seminar-Comments sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
Those who attended Sarah Silver seminar last week, kindly post your comments or insights here. Thank you.

For me, I only realise that a local distributor of Sinar brought her in and, gladly, did not turn out to be a Sinar product endorsement type seminar.
As I left just before 4pm, the participation by the attendees were less than active. Or it could be that large majority of the attendees are not professionals, thus lacking the inputs to draw on her experience.

Sarah is more on studio shooting and she delivered what she has to share, personnally think the pricing for half a day seminar is a bit high at $80 .. some more took half day leave .. :(

I likes the practical session she delivered .. :thumbsup:

KNIGHT ONG said:
Sarah is more on studio shooting and she delivered what she has to share, personnally think the pricing for half a day seminar is a bit high at $80 .. some more took half day leave .. :(

I likes the practical session she delivered .. :thumbsup:
Yes, the price is on the high side especially when it is a corporate sponsored event.

we learnt that.............

- digital is better than film, expecially the sinar 54 back
- all images are touched up...... just like chicken needs to be cooked
- touching up started from the dark ages of photography when they use brushes or knives on the images
- she considers all her assignments challenging and there is no such thing as her "most challenging assignment"
- we should not laugh if a model accidentally reveals her undies
- we should not ask a model to jump especally if she is on heels
- we should not volunteer and start walking out when Sarah asked for someone to replace the female model....... because it is obviously a joke
- should not take photos during the talk......... because someone from the back will shout "eh dude, can you stop doing THAT !?!?"
- we should go to a photography talk wearing a photographer's vest and put a fully loaded camera with lens and flash on our lap
- when Sarah goes "yeah !" or "cool !" you should echo the same..... from your seat in the audience loud enough for everyone to hear

we learnt all, complements to 1 guy :)

Just started a new thread as I hadn't seen this one...

I didn't get a great deal out of the afternoon. She is obviously a great photographer and I think her work is amazing. However, she is not a great lecturer, seemed to have little plan for the afternoon and found it difficult to connect with the audience.

I thought the 'audience participation' part was a waste and we would've been better seeing her shoot again.

Her advice on Digital Workflow was no better than you could find here on Clubsnap...things like 'Backing-up is important'...'know your equipment'....etc...

I always think that if you can get three or four useful things from a course then it is worthwhile. I'm not sure I got that on Friday.

Other than the opportunity to see Sarah posing/shooting the model, it was a half day's leave wasted. :cry:

1 guy can teach you so many things? who's the **GOD**? :p

rueyloon said:
we learnt that.............

- digital is better than film, expecially the sinar 54 back
- all images are touched up...... just like chicken needs to be cooked
- touching up started from the dark ages of photography when they use brushes or knives on the images
- she considers all her assignments challenging and there is no such thing as her "most challenging assignment"
- we should not laugh if a model accidentally reveals her undies
- we should not ask a model to jump especally if she is on heels
- we should not volunteer and start walking out when Sarah asked for someone to replace the female model....... because it is obviously a joke
- should not take photos during the talk......... because someone from the back will shout "eh dude, can you stop doing THAT !?!?"
- we should go to a photography talk wearing a photographer's vest and put a fully loaded camera with lens and flash on our lap
- when Sarah goes "yeah !" or "cool !" you should echo the same..... from your seat in the audience loud enough for everyone to hear

we learnt all, complements to 1 guy :)

KNIGHT ONG said:
Btw, I find him performs better than the later 2 guys who went up there leh .. ;)

The last guy was the worst. Asking the model to fall forward, what the heck was he thinking?

the last guy is terrence yeung, the temasek polytechnic's photography course teacher :)

On Digital Workflow :- frankly, almost fall asleep, sorrie :p
On Live Photoshoot :- interesting and plenty of new stuffs to pickup;
her interactions with model are so lively & fluid as she move from pose to pose, encouraging & demo-ing the pose herself (hmmm ... I think it helps that she have a solid dancing foundation)
On audience participation :- Fun ... perhaps hilarious :)

Will like to see more her live photoshoot handling a few kind of scenrio:-
- model with less experience
- model with studdorn & bad behaviour
- photoshoot involve more then 1 model

2cents .....

personally, i thought the session was worth the $80 + leave. how often do you get to see a world class photog executing a shoot with narration? i felt she delivered it well and shared her knowledge and experience generously.

A question to clarify. The background used was complete white. However, the shots taken shows a range of grey, sometimes it appeared as graduated grey tone. I concluded that it is the effect of light falloff from the two umbrellas, after taking into account the distance from the model to the background paper . Is my conclusion accurate?

never use separate background light?

reachme2003 said:
A question to clarify. The background used was complete white. However, the shots taken shows a range of grey, sometimes it appeared as graduated grey tone. I concluded that it is the effect of light falloff from the two umbrellas, after taking into account the distance from the model to the background paper . Is my conclusion accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.