Sanyo Battery Charger can only charge sanyo batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imaginary_number

Feb 3, 2002
Singapore
Hi guys,

Just bought this sanyo nimh battery charger. Apparently, it was stated in the instruction sheet that this charger can only charge sanyo nimh batteries.

Was wondering if I could charge my gp nimh batteries using this charger as well? So my concern is, would it damage the battery or the charger?

Thanks in advance.

me using the Sanyo charger and charging my GP batteries.

Should not be a problem at all............

Charging other similar batteries should be fine, I think...you know those manufacturers, must say it's 'better' to buy their batteries to ensure this and prevent future problems...that why they never say "Charging batteries of other makes are fine!" :D

Manufacturers dont test charging with other brands. So they are legally covering their asses. Who knows, other batteries might blow up. They are also trying to scare you to buy their own products.

Originally posted by maddog
Manufacturers dont test charging with other brands. So they are legally covering their asses. Who knows, other batteries might blow up. They are also trying to scare you to buy their own products.

Hmm... that was what I was thinking too..

Originally posted by kaipium
me using the Sanyo charger and charging my GP batteries.

Should not be a problem at all............

that sounds assuring, thanks.

Guess I shall take the plunge and try it out myself; Update you guys if it expodes :eek:

Actually, it is possible for manufacturers to make their chargers work only with their own brand of battery cells. I remember that my ancient Canon Powershot 350 digicam's built-in battery charger would only charge a specific type of Panasonic NiMH cells. The way it worked was that these cells have a certain part of their plastic covering exposed, and the digicam will somehow check for this exposed portion of the plastic covering before charging the cells (kind of like the way 3.5" disk drives differentiate between 720KB and 1.44MB diskettes). No other NiMH cells could work with this charger unless one cut off the appropriate part of their plastic covers. I sure hope no companies still try such stunts with their battery chargers these days...

Originally posted by Midnight
Actually, it is possible for manufacturers to make their chargers work only with their own brand of battery cells. I remember that my ancient Canon Powershot 350 digicam's built-in battery charger would only charge a specific type of Panasonic NiMH cells. The way it worked was that these cells have a certain part of their plastic covering exposed, and the digicam will somehow check for this exposed portion of the plastic covering before charging the cells (kind of like the way 3.5" disk drives differentiate between 720KB and 1.44MB diskettes). No other NiMH cells could work with this charger unless one cut off the appropriate part of their plastic covers. I sure hope no companies still try such stunts with their battery chargers these days...

too late, i've plugged it in already :confused:

anyway, hope it works ;)

Hehe... Don't worry, it should work lah. Besides, it hasn't exploded yet, right? I'm probably one of the few unlucky people to have actually encountered a NiMH "battery charger" that only works with one brand of batteries. Then again, this "charger" is actually a digicam, so I guess that wasn't exactly its primary purpose.

Yup, hasn't exploded yet :D
Doesn't show signs that it's gonna explode either.....

So it works! (I hope) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.