Santorini Island, Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicky

Apr 13, 2002
A truly magnificent place. The name Santorini is actually the name of a volcano in the Aegean Sea that erupted in 1650 B.C. and was considered one of the largest in the last 10,000 years. The eruption blew off much of the volcanic cone and a large part of the island as well. Because of the removal of such large volume of magma, the volcano collapses into the sea forming a huge crater and tsunamis up to 100 metres high which historians believed were what caused the end of the Minoan civilization in the Mediterranean, and which may have led to the myth of Atlantis.

The photos you see here are taken from the island of Thira, more commonly known as Santorini Island to most people. The rim or edge of the crater can reach as high as 1200 feet above sea-level and plunges another thousand feet or so into the sea.

104-0418_IMG_500.jpg

^ View from the town of Fira overlooking the deep blue Aegean Sea.

104-0413_IMG_500.jpg

^ One of many white-washed, blue-domed chapels and churches on the island.

103-0396_IMG_500.jpg

^ Kameni Island as seen from a 900 feet high cliff on Santorini Island.

104-0488_IMG_500.jpg

^ Due to the high vantage point, it offers one of the most spectacular sunset scene you'll ever experience.

regards,

gosh!! truly beautiful! I simply love the simplistic life of spain and those white buildings are one of the tall highlights when visiting Santorini (perfect WB I would say!)

I love that seemingly high point shot of Kameni Island..... thanks for sharing...ha! another place of destination next time round of holidayings! ;)

truely magnificent indeed!!! :thumbsup:

Excellent photos!

This is a place you would want to retire man! The weather is 20 plus degrees all year round. Mediterranean area is truly magnificent! I like the swimming pool facing the sea man. Just missing a BABE swimming in it! Care to share what film and lens you use to expose all your pix?

Thanks!

oeyvind said:
Thanks for sharing, reminds me of a gallery I saw previously... really a splendid place.

I saw that link before and it's really good. There's a lot of photo opportunities on the island however I did not capitalize on it. Most of my photos were candid snapshots unfortunately .... I hope to return there again sometime.

Godzilla Invades said:
Excellent photos!

This is a place you would want to retire man! The weather is 20 plus degrees all year round. Mediterranean area is truly magnificent! I like the swimming pool facing the sea man. Just missing a BABE swimming in it! Care to share what film and lens you use to expose all your pix?

Thanks!

Hi Godzilla,

I'm using digital. The lens I used is the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. This was my only lens back then and it proved to be much of a constraint with regards to wide shots due to the 1.6 FLM of my D60. There are narrow alleys and pathways and most times I don't have any space to backtrack anymore. How nice if I have a true wide angle then.

And yes it's truly a great place to retire.

Here's more ....

104-0409_IMG_400.jpg

104-0422_IMG_400.jpg

104-0425_IMG_400.jpg

104-0405_IMG_300.jpg
104-0414_IMG_300.jpg

104-0420_IMG_300.jpg
103-0400_IMG_300.jpg

hey Nicky, great pictures you have.

did you do any photoshop with these? used any polarizer?

the first picture has a bit of blue cast, and some others as well, but it's just wonderful

the 28-135mm does have nice colour reproduction. I expect it to be more so with an L-lens.

a 16-35 or 17-40 L would be very handy here

now if only canon would make an all rounded lens , maybe 16-200mm f1.8-2.8L (hehe)

Cheers,

:D

Raptor said:
now if only canon would make an all rounded lens , maybe 16-200mm f1.8-2.8L (hehe)

Sorry to be OT here, do you know HOW HUGE a EF200mm f/1.8 L is? It's a huge lens, about 3Kg in weight.

Nicky: Didn't use any circular polarizer?

oeyvind said:
Sorry to be OT here, do you know HOW HUGE a EF200mm f/1.8 L is? It's a huge lens, about 3Kg in weight.

Nicky: Didn't use any circular polarizer?

I'm just kidding on the 16-200, that's why I put hehe in brackets, anyway the lens is supposed to be f2.8 at 200mm end

:D

Wow...a place to retire in. Nice pictures...like some of your composition and good sense of colour. Good thing yours is digital...some of the exposure is tricky with the white walls.

Hi Raptor and Oeyvind ,

I did not use a polariser and yes the photos have gone through PS. Some were colour corrected, others level adjusted due to underexposure because of those bright walls.

By the way Raptor, your previous post mistaken the lens as 28-135mm ? It was the 28-105mm lens.

mjjphoto said:
Wow...a place to retire in. Nice pictures...like some of your composition and good sense of colour. Good thing yours is digital...some of the exposure is tricky with the white walls.
Yup, with digital we're so much more in control, be it the instant feedback or the post-processing.

Did you shoot JPEG or RAW?

Pity that you didn't manage to use C-PL on those wonderful blue sky... but better than nothing, do enjoy your pix.

Hi Oeyvind ,

It's all shot in JPG. To be frank I haven't tried RAW at all. I've heard all the good things about RAW and the flexibility it provides in exposure and WB correction among others, but the thought of manipulating large files and additional steps in workflow makes me think twice.

yeah polariser might help. I got one only _after_ that trip :D

Wah after you posted more photos, i feel that i must make a trip to this island. How much did you spend on this trip? Where and how long you stay? Any tips?

All your photos are excellent. Very sharp!

WOW!!!
Die die must go during Easter holidays!!

SniperD said:
gosh!! truly beautiful! I simply love the simplistic life of spain and those white buildings are one of the tall highlights when visiting Santorini (perfect WB I would say!)

I love that seemingly high point shot of Kameni Island..... thanks for sharing...ha! another place of destination next time round of holidayings! ;)

Wonderful pics you have there!!! I like the sunset one in particular, mostly because of the billiant colours.
BTW, Santorini is in Greece, not spain, but you are right about the similarities in architecture of these mediterranean countries, especially along the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.