Sandisk spec, performance, reliabilty, warranty better than Lexar 64gb 400x CF card?

niccon2

Jan 27, 2011
the reason i asked as the price is for 64gb is 268 vs 163 at current IT show. so far what i gathered on internet is comparable for both brand except a friend in memory industry the diff could in the quality tier.

the reason i asked as the price is for 64gb is 268 vs 163 at current IT show. so far what i gathered on internet is comparable for both brand except a friend in memory industry the diff could in the quality tier.

You can read all performance test results here...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Last edited:
Read / Write performance is only really an issue if you gun down your subjects with RAW pics, take video and once you load the pics into computer. For the normal shooters the performance is hardly relevant because images are buffered in the cam and written to disk with some delay anyway. For uploading to computers it's also important to have a proper card reader, preferable from the same brand to ensure maximum compatibility. Using the USB in the camera is pointless, it's nowhere as fast as a dedicated reader. Also, make sure your USB interface runs at maximum speed.
For warranty, read the fine prints. Get the cards from official importer to avoid any problems. Keep in mind: only the card gets replaced if found faulty, recovery of images is your job (or ask another company if necessary).

Octarine said:
Using the USB in the camera is pointless, it's nowhere as fast as a dedicated reader.

Actually before the new batch of USB 3.0 readers, there were some cameras that beat dedicated readers. Dpr did quite a few tests around this.

i have seen rob's test result, the speed diff is little thus it is not a major concern to me. i have preference for sandisk but the huge price diff is a pull factor for lexar no and with octarine's post, guess i will go with lexar.

I know they make 64 GB cards and that loads of people use them, but personally, I won't want to put so many eggs in one basket. Unless you're an events shooter and want to prevent the hassle of switching cards, I guess.

Anyways, Lexar is also a decent enough brand. Sometimes the limiting factor can be your own hardware, i.e. camera write speed/computer read speed. If you feel that the price difference is significant then go for Lexar. Sandisk does command a "name" premium.

For me, see which brand is easier to change when the card develops problems. I usually go for local distributor products for big tickets items rather then parallel import stock so that if got problem, its just one trip to get it settled on the day itself.

So far vector magnetics sandisk and convergent lexar after sales service is pretty good.

i am just plain lazy to switch card :bsmilie: and also seeing saving of some $ on 2x 32gb vs 1x 64gb. i further clarified with my friend, it seems the cost diff could be due to number QC inspection performed to test 64gb, it can be much longer for larger capacity card thus costing more

Last edited:
i am just plain lazy to switch card :bsmilie: and also seeing saving of some $ on 2x 32gb vs 1x 64gb. i further clarified with my friend, it seems the cost diff could be due to number QC inspection performed to test 64gb, it can be much longer for larger capacity card thus costing more

alternatively could also be because markup is higher.

Just bought a bunch of 32GB Class 10 30MB/s Sandisk Ultra at $33 each from SLS less than a month ago, under Kaira. And that is as cheap as it goes then without resorting to parallel imports.

There are at least 3 Sandisk distributors in Singapore. Vector Magnetics charges the highest and that's why you see those with their stickers can be twice the price of those without. The others (Kaira and Achieva?) are much cheaper but seems no obvious way to differentiate from parallel imports visually. This is my understanding after chatting with some of the sellers but anyone with better info, do go ahead and correct me.
:)

Last edited:
Just bought a bunch of 32GB Class 10 30MB/s Sandisk Ultra at $33 each from SLS less than a month ago, under Kaira. And that is as cheap as it goes then without resorting to parallel imports.

There are at least 3 Sandisk distributors in Singapore. Vector Magnetics charges the highest and that's why you see those with their stickers can be twice the price of those without. The others (Kaira and Achieva?) are much cheaper but seems no obvious way to differentiate from parallel imports visually. This is my understanding after chatting with some of the sellers but anyone with better info, do go ahead and correct me.

Their authorized dealers list?
Dealers

$33 per 32GB Sandisk Ultra. SD cards or CF cards? TS was asking about CF cards actually. 16GB Sandisk Ultra CF already cost $50.

The authorized distributors for Sandisk are:

1. Vector Magnetics
2. Ingram micro
3. Kaira

Last edited:
Where would one go now to get a good price for a CF card , i am looking at the medium speed level of 60M/s , dont care about which brand, capacity depends on pricing. its for my 5d/m3 mainly shooting pictures and not much video. Dont need high burstrate either.
appreciate any feedback, thanks.

You can consider Kingston Ultimate 600x and Transcend cards.

Where would one go now to get a good price for a CF card , i am looking at the medium speed level of 60M/s , dont care about which brand, capacity depends on pricing. its for my 5d/m3 mainly shooting pictures and not much video. Dont need high burstrate either.
appreciate any feedback, thanks.
The usual suspects in Sim Lim Sq.. or any Sitex promotion.