SANDISK EXTREME 512MB CF at S$145!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spaztik said:
sandisk ULTRA II!! $80 for 512mb at amazon/adorama. best performance. better than lexar.

aren't those prices in USD?... + shipping, is it worth it ?

Yup, CF card prices will plunge further. Gadgets using flash memory have prices plunging too.

Update on the Extreme card "promo". Went there at 11.30, could not get in since it was exhibitors only. Well if you have any ideas to sneak in before opening time (noon), you can try. Doors opened, chiong ah! One grp chiong to Oly booth for a free gift with cut-out coupon, the other group chiong to Sandisk. I was half running and half walking, i know exactly where to head. Saw from far 2 were already there queueing. Joined the queue and the guys counted to number 10. Cut. Out of Stock.

Extreme

They have also been improved for use in extreme conditions, they will operate from well below freezing (minus 13 degrees F/minus 25 degrees C) to near boiling (185 degrees F/85 degrees C), and each card is ruggedized with a layer of heavy duty RTV silicone to withstand 3000 G-forces.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082802sandiskextremecards.asp

Speed, tested side-by-side with Ultra II on D70, absolutely no diff in burst frame depth, write complete speed (via LED).

mpenza said:
knew someone who got the Extreme at $145. must be a shiok feeling! :)

*very* shoik feeling. =)

2100 said:
Update on the Extreme card "promo". Went there at 11.30, could not get in since it was exhibitors only. Well if you have any ideas to sneak in before opening time (noon), you can try. Doors opened, chiong ah! One grp chiong to Oly booth for a free gift with cut-out coupon,

just curious.. what kinds of free gift from Oly...

therat said:

Not sure, i was peeping over the shoulders to look at the newspaper cut-out but i could not see. It should be something decent.

Nicholaslee - Places like Chamoxa was selling like $23x some 1 month ago? Twinmos 70x is selling at $139, so Extreme is definitely worth it at this pt in time. Twinmos' write speed is slightly slower than the Ultra II/Extreme.

therat said:

I went on 26/8 3pm and managed to collect the free gift from Olympus with a coupon from Computer Times. The advertisements states that the first hundred had an additional goodie bag but it probably ran out. I received a CD_ROM titled 'my digital story OLYMPUS - Jeon Ji Hyun SPECIAL CD VOL. 1' and 'Not for sale'. It consists of a commercial featuring the Korean which I have not seem on local TV before, another commercial featuring only caucasions on the LCD and album feature, a photo album of the Korean star, screensavers and desktops for downloading.

ST_sg said:
I'd try on the Ridata 52x 512MB CF on my 300D, problematic! Luckily the reseller willing to let me upgrade it to Sandisk UltraII 512MB, wow... superb performance as compared to my old 128MB CF. no regret on this UltraII card :thumbsup:

Just saw FlashcardBestBuy selling it at a very surprising price Sandisk UltraII 512MB going for S$159 :eek: :eek: !!! BUY BUY BUY!

http://www.flashcard-bestbuy.com/shop/storefront/browse.asp?cat=101&path=1,101

Saw the website you mentioned. Is that an office? I think the CF prices will just keep dropping and fast too! Who knows less than 6 mths later, we can get the 1 Gb at the same price that we now pay for the 512 Mb.

2100 said:
Yup, CF card prices will plunge further. Gadgets using flash memory have prices plunging too.

Update on the Extreme card "promo". Went there at 11.30, could not get in since it was exhibitors only. Well if you have any ideas to sneak in before opening time (noon), you can try. Doors opened, chiong ah! One grp chiong to Oly booth for a free gift with cut-out coupon, the other group chiong to Sandisk. I was half running and half walking, i know exactly where to head. Saw from far 2 were already there queueing. Joined the queue and the guys counted to number 10. Cut. Out of Stock.

Extreme

They have also been improved for use in extreme conditions, they will operate from well below freezing (minus 13 degrees F/minus 25 degrees C) to near boiling (185 degrees F/85 degrees C), and each card is ruggedized with a layer of heavy duty RTV silicone to withstand 3000 G-forces.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03082802sandiskextremecards.asp

Speed, tested side-by-side with Ultra II on D70, absolutely no diff in burst frame depth, write complete speed (via LED).

Was there this morning and the group waiting for the doors to open at 12 was getting big. I chionged but somehow about 15 chionged faster than me! But what the heck - I was prepared to get the Ultra 2 if I couldn't get the Extreme... You guys who got it, good on yer! ;) Must be the deal of the century man. In the end, got a 1GB Ultra 2. As mentioned, no diff with the Extreme card, and I am not exactly headed for a photoshoot in the Sahara or Antartica, so...

Anyway, to those who wants to chiong, reconsider. Just settle for the 512mb Ultra 2 at 160. Equally cheap.

Actually, Twinmos' Ultra-X at 7.5MB/s write speed is cool too. $139 for 512. Unless you really need that speed (very very rarely) and its gotta be on a fast write cam like D70/D2H/1DM2. Else you factor in the overheads, really very insignificant differences lar.

went to the fair on friday, saw SanDisk Ultra II 1GB was selling for 320. is this a good price?

did the price drop like the lexar 40x 1GB?

thanks.

Latest details on Extreme 512mb CF cards.. was there this afternoon and was told they are selling only 25 pcs a day (10 at 12pm and 15 at 6pm).
Since I was there at about 4.45 decided to wait a while at the sandisk booth. A while later I ask the salesman again when will the queue start and he said it might have started already. He ask me to look at the side of the booth. I found the queue :D got a number(4th) Sale of cards only started at 6pm. Only during the last 15-20 min then the other ppl start to join the queue. Go early sure no prob.

Dann said:
Latest details on Extreme 512mb CF cards.. was there this afternoon and was told they are selling only 25 pcs a day (10 at 12pm and 15 at 6pm).
Since I was there at about 4.45 decided to wait a while at the sandisk booth. A while later I ask the salesman again when will the queue start and he said it might have started already. He ask me to look at the side of the booth. I found the queue :D got a number(4th) Sale of cards only started at 6pm. Only during the last 15-20 min then the other ppl start to join the queue. Go early sure no prob.

Congrats :D

RossChang said:
went to the fair on friday, saw SanDisk Ultra II 1GB was selling for 320. is this a good price?

did the price drop like the lexar 40x 1GB?

thanks.

you can get it for 160 dollars at adorama.

i dont know why people are spending 130-180 dollars for a 512 mb card!! the ultra II has a 10mb/s write speed!!!!

jeez who lives in friggin singapore.

i heard you can get life in jail for chewing gum there. maybe it was indonesia. i cant remember.

Spaztik said:

i heard you can get life in jail for chewing gum there. maybe it was indonesia. i cant remember.

helpful hint: since this is a Singapore based website, why don't you make a guess?

another helpful hint: We don't usually jail people for chewing gum. We can be very unhappy about other stuff though, like ignorance, egocentricness, unilateral policies, etc.

last helpful hint: Just for your information, alot of the world's population don't live in the, and I quote, 'friggin' US of A, and contrary to your perceptions, the US of A, is not the centre of the universe. At least it isn't, the last time I checked.

Thank you for your helpful hint about Adorama though. I prefer B&H myself. :D

Spaztik said:

Better to keep quiet and have people think you're stupid, than to speak up and confirm it.......

Status
Not open for further replies.