SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-I and Extreme® SDXC/SDHC™ UHS-I card experience

aklryan

Dec 8, 2004
Anyone has experience in using the below cards? If yes, will like to know how they fare? I guess they are compatible to most Pentax DSLR

SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-I

The SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I memory card features technologies that were previously only available in our professional line of CompactFlash® memory cards. Managed by the Power Core™ Controller, the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I memory card raises the bar for speed and performance within the SanDisk SD™ memory card product line. The advanced Error Correction Code engine improves overall data integrity and reliability of the card during read and write. Experience RAW + JPEG continuous burst mode shooting and capture fast-action Full HD† video like never before. For capturing Full HD video or that professional shot-trust SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I memory cards for your DSLR or HD camcorder

Extreme speed means you'll get the shot you want with more continuous burst mode shooting and rapid transfers to your computer.
Extreme Full HD video recording speed enabled by UHS Speed Class 1†† and Class 10 lets you capture fast-action video in Full HD, even in 3-D†.
Engineered with the Power Core™ Controller, the SanDisk Extreme® Pro™ SDHC™ [SDXC™ for 64GB] UHS-I memory card delivers blazing fast performance distributing image data across the card more rapidly and efficiently.
Extreme reliability and endurance, the Power Core™ Controller's firmware increases endurance through wear leveling. The Power Core Controller's advanced Error Correction Code (ECC) engine improves overall data integrity and reliability of the card during read and write.
Extreme durability- built for and tested in harsh conditions-these cards are temperature proof, water proof, shock proof, and x-ray proof***. [only 8-32 GB packs]
Extreme trust: From the flash memory card brand trusted by professional photographers.

*Up to 95 MB/sec (633X) read speed. Write speed up to 90 MB/s (600X). Based on SanDisk internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device. 1 megabyte (MB) = 1 million bytes. X = 150KB/sec.
**1 gigabyte (GB) = 1 billion bytes. Some capacity not available for data storage.
***SD, SDHC, microSD and microSDHC card formats up to 32 GB only; See Proof for additional information.
†Full HD video (1920x1080x30fps) HD and 3D video support may vary based upon host device, file size, resolution, compression, bit rate, content, and other factors. See:HD
††UHS Speed Class 1 designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-I enabled host devices.

SanDisk Extreme® SDXC/SDHC™ UHS-I card

Extreme continuous shot-to-shot performance with up to 45MB/s*
Read/Write speeds up to 45MB/s*
SDHC™(16 & 32 GB), SDXC™ (64 GB & 128 GB) form factor
Class 10 + UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) †† for 3D and Full HD† video (1080p)
Capacities up to 128 GB**
Water-proof, temperature proof, X-ray proof, shock proof‡
Engineered with Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) bus architecture
Writeable label for easy identification and organization
Jewel Case to protect your card for storing and archiving
RescuePro® data recovery software downloadable offer, for bringing accidentally deleted images back to life
Lifetime limited warranty***

Last edited:
Only newer camera like K-01 and k-30 are able to take the full advantage of SDXC card I think, the earlier cameras won't be able to write/read as fast as the card is capable of.

i am trying to understand their term "SDHC™/SDXC™ UHS-I "....maybe i know now. Those size below 32G is consider as SDHC while those in the form of 64G/128G is SDXC. If this is the case then should be able to support well in most Pentax DSLR

I notice even Kr/K5 is able to support SDXC via firmware upgrade. I actually have a 8G SanDisk with read/write speed up to 30MB/s. I could see a differences when compare to those in class 4/6 (inlcuding those other brand who name their class with 10).

So i am wondering should i try out the one with 45MB/s speed or go direct into 95MB/s (which is nearly on par with the CF performance already). Of course price wise got different but look like affordable eg 32G SanDisk Extreme Pro around $120 over and 16G around $60 over. SanDisk Extreme will be half of its price respectively.

From my reading, Pentax DSLRs (specifically the K-5 and K-r; not too sure about the K-30) don't support the UHS-I write speeds.

Links:
- SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Cards [PentaxForums]
- Has anyone tried Sandisk Extreme Pro (45Mbyte/s) cards on the K-5 [PentaxForums]

I have an 8GB SanDisk Extreme Pro (45Mb/s) and a 8GB Sandisk Extreme (30Mb/s), and I can confirm that the time it takes for my K-5 to write on each is more or less the same.

Last edited:
Yes, no need to pay the extra for 'Extreme Pro' or 'UHS-I' cards. They will do the same speed in K-5. Extreme can liao.

'Silicon Power (Class 10)' is the best, tested to do about 19mb/s in reviews & 32gb cost only about $30 !!! Where else can you find so good value... :thumbsup:

Yes, no need to pay the extra for 'Extreme Pro' or 'UHS-I' cards. They will do the same speed in K-5. Extreme can liao.

'Silicon Power (Class 10)' is the best, tested to do about 19mb/s in reviews & 32gb cost only about $30 !!! Where else can you find so good value... :thumbsup:

Where is this brand available? Generally I prefer sandisk for reliability though...

Ok so now i know another term UHS Speed Class 1 (UHS-I)..... is related to the read/write speed. I read the link send by TheFuhrer... seem not much useful to get them..... if want to use my K5.... hm....

Where is this brand available? Generally I prefer sandisk for reliability though...

Many IT shops in Sim Lim & Funan have... you can search reviews for this Silicon Power, not bad. Didn't read got prob or error, PQI & Patriot more lousy. Incidentally All these smaller time flash card brands like Pretec, PQI, Patriot, Silicon Power & Transcend are all Taiwanese. I believe Sandisk & Lexar are US brands?