Sandisk CF Ultra vs Extreme III

amachi

Jul 20, 2009
Are both the same? According to the seller, Sandisk CF Ultra (30 MB/s) is the replacement for Extreme III..

Now Sandisk CF cards are consolidated into 3 tiers
  • Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme (60MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s)
Last time it was like this
  • Sandisk Ultra II (10MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme IV (45MB/s)

From speed POV, it does seem that the 'new' Sandisk Ultra is equivalent to the old Extreme III. However designs could be new with better controllers and such.

Are both the same? According to the seller, Sandisk CF Ultra (30 MB/s) is the replacement for Extreme III..

No they're not. If they're the same, why would they need to rename it to 2 different products.

No they're not. If they're the same, why would they need to rename it to 2 different products.

What's the difference between the two?

I am using extreme III right now, and need to get a spare one. I can't find the extreme III in the shops that I know, and there is this seller who told me that Ultra is actually the same as extreme III :sweat:

Any suggestion which cf card to get? I don't need the extreme IV though. Something like extreme III is good enough.

I am using extreme III right now, and need to get a spare one. I can't find the extreme III in the shops that I know, and there is this seller who told me that Ultra is actually the same as extreme III :sweat:

Any suggestion which cf card to get? I don't need the extreme IV though. Something like extreme III is good enough.

As digit above mentioned, speed. Reliability is also another factor.

The new extreme cards have added protection against moisture/humidity. If you need to read up on them more, you should spend some time on Sandisk's website. http://www.sandisk.com/products/dslr

The new Sandisk Extreme (60MB/s) is pretty good value IMHO. ( for my kind of shoot that is ). Faster than the previous Ducatis.

ryan

I did note that the previous batch of Sandisk boxes would say, "30mb/s", where the new cards would say "up to 60mb/s." Not sure if it's a change in marketing policy or an actual upgrade in speed (or a bit of both).

I remember reading somewhere that the new Extremes (no Pro nothing) are not as fast as advertised. I can't remember where I saw it though.

I got a Sandisk Ultra yesterday. Notice that it mentioned "30MB/s*", yes with a star on the cover.

While my Extreme III only writes 30MB/s, no star.. Hmmm:rolleyes:

I'm also using the extreme III and i presume the difference lies in the hardware part of the card.

Looking to buy a new CF card like extreme III as well, last time i bought kingston 133x... and was dissappointed by its performance

Now Sandisk CF cards are consolidated into 3 tiers
  • Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme (60MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s)
Last time it was like this
  • Sandisk Ultra II (10MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/s)
  • Sandisk Extreme IV (45MB/s)

From speed POV, it does seem that the 'new' Sandisk Ultra is equivalent to the old Extreme III. However designs could be new with better controllers and such.

if thats the case.. then an extreme III and ultra looks the same .. no ?

yeah precisely.. extreme III is good enough
Looking to buy a new CF card like extreme III as well, last time i bought kingston 133x... and was dissappointed by its performance

how's its performance seriously ?contemplating to buy

I had nothing but Extreme III cards in my pouch until the Ultra 30mb/s came along. After a lil bit of tests, nothing intensive, they seem to have similar performance, to me. Honestly, I trust SanDisk so I don't see how its performance can be less reliable than Extreme III (if so), hence, if the speed is similar (which according to my test is) then why bother spending on the new $90 Extreme.

Also, you have to know whether your DSLR can write that fast. My 5DII can since it supports UDMA but I've since discovered that capacity is more important than speed for my 5DII hence I settled for Extreme III. Also my 1DIII can only write so fast (no UDMA) so again winner for me is Extreme III or should I say, 30mb/s cards by SanDisk.

I had nothing but Extreme III cards in my pouch until the Ultra 30mb/s came along. After a lil bit of tests, nothing intensive, they seem to have similar performance, to me. Honestly, I trust SanDisk so I don't see how its performance can be less reliable than Extreme III (if so), hence, if the speed is similar (which according to my test is) then why bother spending on the new $90 Extreme.

Also, you have to know whether your DSLR can write that fast. My 5DII can since it supports UDMA but I've since discovered that capacity is more important than speed for my 5DII hence I settled for Extreme III. Also my 1DIII can only write so fast (no UDMA) so again winner for me is Extreme III or should I say, 30mb/s cards by SanDisk.

Agree.

Not to mention that Sandisk Ultra is cheap. I got the 16GB Sandisk Ultra for SGD 88. While a 8GB Sandisk Extreme would already cost above SGD 100.

Anyone knows if the new ULTRA (30mb/s) CF cards work with the RescuePro software included with the older EXTREME III card?

RescuePro works with any cards, not just SanDisk or CF models. I just used it to restore files from my Sony Ericsson phone... I believe the card is M2.

Not to mention that Sandisk Ultra is cheap. I got the 16GB Sandisk Ultra for SGD 88. While a 8GB Sandisk Extreme would already cost above SGD 100.

Good food for thought. I got an old Ultra that works well. 16GB at SGD 88 is great for a slow casual snapper like me. I got my 8GB Sandisk Extreme at ard $95, but the older Ultra looks like value for money :)

ryan

Let hope the coming computer fair in feb/mar will have attractive price offering from Sandisk for their new Ultra series :embrass:

yah.. and buy on the first day! lesson learnt.. wanted good deals.. then all out of stock on 2nd day and they not bringing more :S

Agree.

Where did you get the 'new' Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s for S$88? I got mine for $95.60 for my first 16GB card, and 1 month later, which was just last week or so at $93 for my 2nd card. Both at Sim Lim.

Where did you get the 'new' Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s for S$88? I got mine for $95.60 for my first 16GB card, and 1 month later, which was just last week or so at $93 for my 2nd card. Both at Sim Lim.

Got it from Best Bargain