San Francisco scenes

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
Just a few pics from various places in San Francisco. :)

#1 - Start with the most iconic San Fran landmark
1152944792_Yi2xp-L.jpg

#2 - Another landmark - Alcatraz
1152942899_teGpQ-L.jpg

#3 - Looks tough to escape from...
1152944022_hePCa-L.jpg

#4 - Gulls
1152944216_mZ3tB-L.jpg

#5 - Sloping streets
1152944497_GWhzq-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
hi!! i really like the framing in 1, the perspective in 3 (used uwa?) and the lights and colours in 5! =)

1# can be improved by shooting at a wider aperture so that your fence and leaves on the right framing is blurred out slightly. Now i feel that it is fighting for attention with the bridge (which is centralised in the photo), its nice framing though.

just my two cent.

Last edited:
#5 are great.
pink sky as backdrop of a very metropolitan city. :)

hi!! i really like the framing in 1, the perspective in 3 (used uwa?) and the lights and colours in 5! =)

Thanks! #3 was actually taken at the wide end of my telezoom, 50mm.

1# can be improved by shooting at a wider aperture so that your fence and leaves on the right framing is blurred out slightly. Now i feel that it is fighting for attention with the bridge (which is centralised in the photo), its nice framing though.

just my two cent.

Yah, I agree. I had forgotten to shoot at different f# to make sure I got one with the right effect/DOF. There was a swarm of bugs there, so I just shot and quickly got away. Now regretting a bit!

#5 are great.
pink sky as backdrop of a very metropolitan city. :)

Thanks! I'm now wondering if a tighter crop might work better, brings more attention to the street and cars leading to the bridge and sky:

#5a and #5b -
1152944497_GWhzq-L-1.jpg
1162524796_58jnN-L.jpg

Any opinions? :)

I like #5a..it feels less stuffy in a way.

Anyway love your #5! 

Nice photos you have there. Sure bring back fond memories for me.

Like your #1 photo. Great idea of using the broken fence as framing.

Wow, your Golden Gate Bridge is so clear. I was there during Dec 2010. And see how foggy mine was.

Golden_Gate_Bridge013.JPG

Hope to see more photos. Thanks for sharing.

Just a few pics from various places in San Francisco. :)

#1 - Start with the most iconic San Fran landmark
1152944792_Yi2xp-L.jpg

I like the framing of this shot :thumbsup:
The blues and greens seem a bit too saturated though.

hmmmm... maybe it's just me

#3 - If you have exhausted all ways to create the bokeh with the 50mm lens, there are 2 ways you can try.

First - Zoom with your feet. Step further away and use the largest aperture. f1.4

Or, you can use photoshop to add bokeh to the picture.

Cheers.

very nice #1 picture. :)
When I was there, it was very cold and there were a lot of mist and fog covering golden gate bridge..

I like #5a..it feels less stuffy in a way.

Anyway love your #5!

Thanks! I guess each version has its merits. :)

I like the framing of this shot :thumbsup:
The blues and greens seem a bit too saturated though.

hmmmm... maybe it's just me

The framing with the fence was inspired by a poster that I saw being sold along the streets. I thought they might have fixed such a hole in the fence, but luckily they didn't. :D

I did push the saturation on the blues but not the greens. Maybe I'll try to do a B&W conversion later today...

#3 - If you have exhausted all ways to create the bokeh with the 50mm lens, there are 2 ways you can try.

First - Zoom with your feet. Step further away and use the largest aperture. f1.4

Or, you can use photoshop to add bokeh to the picture.

Cheers.

:dunno: I wasn't trying for any bokeh in #3. It's meant to be sharp all around.

A lensbaby type effect might be nice in this pic though. :think:

very nice #1 picture. :)
When I was there, it was very cold and there were a lot of mist and fog covering golden gate bridge..

Nice photos you have there. Sure bring back fond memories for me.

Like your #1 photo. Great idea of using the broken fence as framing.

Wow, your Golden Gate Bridge is so clear. I was there during Dec 2010. And see how foggy mine was.

Golden_Gate_Bridge013.JPG

Hope to see more photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys! :) That was taken on 30 Dec 2010. I remember the bay area was having very rainy weather most of Dec, but it did clear up for a few days at the end of the month. I was lucky. ;)

I was hoping to have some mist, especially under the bridge, like in some post cards that you see. But wasn't capable of getting up early enough to catch that....

Don't think I'll be putting up anymore from San Fran, the rest not good enough. :embrass:

Don't think I'll be putting up anymore from San Fran, the rest not good enough. :embrass:

Don't like that leh... post more post more!
Such a beautiful city...
Any photos of Lombard St?

Don't like that leh... post more post more!
Such a beautiful city...
Any photos of Lombard St?

I don't think I have nice pics of Lombard leh... but here're two anyway. :)

#6 - View from top of Lombard St
1153049365_D4WYf-XL.jpg

#7 - Winding down
1152942762_i4Cgv-L.jpg

did u go to vegas? beautiful place ..:thumbsup:

Not this time, but I did go to Vegas almost a year ago on a different trip. Don't think I posted the pics on CS though...

I love San Francisco! More please!

Ok, some more touristy pics.

#8 - Cable car turn around
1152941304_wrPax-L.jpg

#9 - A special vehicle service that you can rent to tour the city. Supposed to be a bad idea, since the vehicle is underpowered for San Fran slopes, and you're practically at the exhaust level of bigger cars. Probably kinda fun for the first few minutes.
1152943050_SNrs7-L.jpg

#10 - The sea lions at pier 39
1152943878_MzHHz-L.jpg

#11 - The less well-known but significantly longer cousin of the Golden Gate Bridge: the Bay Bridge
1152945114_nsiuB-L.jpg

#12 - Japantown, something different from the usual Asian enclave.
1152946785_zNqyE-L.jpg

the clam chowder at pier 69 is damn power

I like # 10 :thumbsup: may I know that is the sea lions is the resident there or come from the wild it seem like they are are fat and well feed :)