Samyang lens

danskie76

Oct 22, 2010
Singapore
Hi Sorry if i sound like a newbie, any review on the Samyang lens? I saw it on one of the forum links, and just want to find out if anyone here has used it before and the quality of the shot?

Which lens?

Samyang is generally good value for money, but you don't get Autofocus on their lenses, IIRC.

Here's a review of their 85mm F/1.4 lens that I did a while back:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pent...r-opteka-falcon-85mm-f-1-4-budget-wonder.html

It's not a proper review, no lens charts, no comparisons, but hopefully you will have some takeaways..

Also look on photozone.de - they do various tests of many unusual lenses.

Hi Sorry if i sound like a newbie, any review on the Samyang lens? I saw it on one of the forum links, and just want to find out if anyone here has used it before and the quality of the shot?

There's a Lenstip review of the 8mm fisheye here: Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fish-eye review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Samyang produces some good lenses. I have the fisheye, and I heard good things about their 14mm and 85mm primes as well.

WOW thank you very much. I think i will go check it out since you guys have good things to say about Samyang. Ya saw a few lens that i am keen in but just wary of the brand as it is quite new. Pricing wise is definitely more affordable to Nikkor lens.

WOW thank you very much. I think i will go check it out since you guys have good things to say about Samyang. Ya saw a few lens that i am keen in but just wary of the brand as it is quite new. Pricing wise is definitely more affordable to Nikkor lens.

You should weigh the benefits, it's not just about price or sharpness.

Some people I know don't like the Samyangs because they don't like manual focus. Cheers.

Some people I know don't like the Samyangs because they don't like manual focus. Cheers.

I <3 them with Focus Peaking.

Thanks guys for the comment. I looked through the links given, it is very helpful. Thanks!

Thanks Edutilos. I get your point, i shall go try out if i am comfortable with manual focus. But it is about i guess weighing the benefit of sharpness to the ease of operation on this lens then. i will go try out first.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Hi Rashkae

sorry for asking. what is focus peaking? do explain.

Thanks!

Focus peaking i a feature on the Sony NEX and SLT cameras where, when you use manual focus, whatever is in focus will be highlighted in red.

Focus peaking i a feature on the Sony NEX and SLT cameras where, when you use manual focus, whatever is in focus will be highlighted in red.

Thanks Rashkae! Always glad to learn something new.

Samyang is generally good to outstanding, all full manual focus and no electronic coupling.

8mm Fish Eye is really good. You dont need AF in this focal length.
Also if you stop down to F8, you dont even need to focus. Just take note of the minimum focus distance.

85mm F1.4 is basically the patent expired Nikon 85mm F1.4D lens elements design. Minus the electronics, AF. but Samyang added in better lens elements.

Samyang is generally good to outstanding, all full manual focus and no electronic coupling.

8mm Fish Eye is really good. You dont need AF in this focal length.
Also if you stop down to F8, you dont even need to focus. Just take note of the minimum focus distance.

85mm F1.4 is basically the patent expired Nikon 85mm F1.4D lens elements design. Minus the electronics, AF. but Samyang added in better lens elements.

Actually Samyang lenses now come with electronic coupling for AE compatibility... especially for Nikon mount cameras