Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

Odyssey-Boy

Oct 19, 2009
Samyang 8mm (f/3.5) Fisheye Field Test

Definition of Fisheye: A fisheye lens is a wide-angle lens that takes in an extremely wide, hemispherical image

Many of my friends were surprised when they heard that I had purchased a Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fish Eye lens. Partly because the Fish Eye is not popular, and it is rare to see photographers using it. I bought this lens is because I wanted something fun and nice to play with, this is where a fish eye lens comes in, and something that is not heavy on the price tag. So, I took the plunge and got myself a copy.

When we talked about third party lenses especially Samyang by Korean. I guess many of you would have negative thinking of it. What we are worry about first is the optics, next is the built and quality, and how it handles in different situation. However, I think the quality of the built of this Samayang lens really proves us wrong.

I bought this lens in SGCAMERASTORE. The sales person was very friendly to me, and he explained to me how it works. Also, the sales person gave me a warranty of 1 year and if there's any manufacturing default, he said that he would try to get it done for me with assurance. So, I bought it without worrying.

So, let me show you what the lens comes with,
IMG_7937.jpg

Inside the box, it came with the Lens with Front and Back Caps, a comfortable pouch, and the Instruction Manual.
Pros:
- Good Built and Good Image Quality
- Value for Money at it’s price tag
Cons:
- Manual Focus takes some time to get used to
- No filter thread to put additional filters

I begin my first shooting with this lens in Landscapes. So, let me share some of the pictures taken with this Fisheye lens.

IMG_7818.jpg

This picture was shot during Sun Rise, and it was an eye opener for me.

IMG_7820.jpg

The 8mm is really wide and in fact the above picture allows me to cover a larger scene with more buildings in. The distortion of this picture above do adds in some effects to the scene and it is something unique for me to try out.

IMG_7821.jpg

I guess most of the Ultra Wide Angle lens users do try this out as in the above picture. However, using a fisheye lens, it certainly creates a nicer effect especially when the circular effects by the fisheye comes in.

IMG_7822.jpg

hahaha. was planning to buy this lens for a very long time. but keep asking myself whether is there really a need anot. now i see e pics i more tempted... hahaha.

Is it me or is that the first pic of MBS doesn't seem as sharp ?

Is it me or is that the first pic of MBS doesn't seem as sharp ?

This lens doesn't came with auto focus, only manual focus, so as what I stated in the pros and cons, it takes some time to get used to it.

overall, it is a nice lens to have, if you manage the focus well, (thru shooting and shooting) you will definitely get a sharp and nice picture !

hahaha. was planning to buy this lens for a very long time. but keep asking myself whether is there really a need anot. now i see e pics i more tempted... hahaha.

mai tu liao, grab it !

it is a nice lens to have, unlike those prosumer's fish eye features, this fish eye lens produces a nicer distortion and perspectives.

Goodness ,, Jaw drop.. I want that Lens .. :) Are u using on a canon 550 D . try on a FFF.. the distortion will be even more .. and maybe over

Last edited:
mai tu liao, grab it !

it is a nice lens to have, unlike those prosumer's fish eye features, this fish eye lens produces a nicer distortion and perspectives.

hahaha! after exams first then save money! i feel its really bang for buck!!!

Goodness ,, Jaw drop.. I want that Lens .. :) Are u using on a canon 550 D . try on a FFF.. the distortion will be even more .. and maybe over

ya if u mount that on a full frame, you will see wider circular fish eye distortion !

hahaha! after exams first then save money! i feel its really bang for buck!!!

i don't think i will sell it off seriously, the distortion really makes up my day when i first started shooting with it.

i don't think i will sell it off seriously, the distortion really makes up my day when i first started shooting with it.

I find that the distortion in samyang is much better than Pentax and Nikon counterparts... there's not much compression on extreme edges of the images. for my eye, it's very pleasing...

I owned this lens before.. the down side is this lens can't really do close up shoot. So I sold it away. I bought olypus fisheye ad I'm a happy fish now.. wahahaha.. I bring the eye eye with me every outing.

How does this samyang lens compared to Tokina fisheye ?

I am looking for a fisheye for taking big head dog fun shoot ..

How does this samyang lens compared to Tokina fisheye ?

I am looking for a fisheye for taking big head dog fun shoot ..

Hi, from my experience the Samyang fisheye can't do big head dog photo, because hte minimum focus distance is 30cm, Tokina fisheye is 14cm, for fisheye 16cm mean a lot. The minimum focus distance determine how you create the big head effect.

Hi, from my experience the Samyang fisheye can't do big head dog photo, because hte minimum focus distance is 30cm, Tokina fisheye is 14cm, for fisheye 16cm mean a lot. The minimum focus distance determine how you create the big head effect.

And judging from the pics posted here, the FE effect does not seem to be that great...not much distortion.

Thanks Bro ! Think i give this lens a miss.

Actually I think its a cool lens, the Jerrold has done a good job with the review. Nice one.

I'm also considering this lens, but it has limited and very specific applications. Nice for the super wide effect. The issue is that for Canon APSC, its 167deg coverage, so almost fisheye in reality. Nikon and other users get the benefit of the full 180deg.

Last edited:
Anybody compared this samyang lens to Peleng 8mm fisheye ?

I got this lens too from Sgcamerastore and the very first shot with this lens on my 7D really "whoa" me. My two cents worth, if you want to take fun and funky pics with wild perspectives then this is the lens for you. After all photography should be fun too not always serious. Price is another draw for me to this lens...build quality, you have to see it to believe it.

All in all this I don't have any regrets in buying this lens in fact because of the build quality of Samyang I went back again to get their 800mm....thats another story.

I would advice buddies here if you looking at a UWA lens to give this Samyang Lens a look it will surprise you and the service the sgcamerastore offers priceless...