Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Field Test - Amazing Sharpness and IQ !

Odyssey-Boy

Oct 19, 2009
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Field Test

After shooting with this Samyang 8mm Fisheye and the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. I can really feel the difference. The Image Quality and the Sharpness between this 2 lenses is incredible. And of course, after shooting with the 14mm f/2.8 by Samyang, it feels really great. The Image Quality and Sharpness is comparable with Canon Original lenses, or should I put it that way that it is sharper than some of the Canon lenses, which I was appalled when reviewing my photographs when I am back home after shooting.

Pros:
- Incredibly Sharp
- Promising Image Quality
- High Quality Built
- Light weight and easy to carry around

Cons:
- No Filter Threads for creative and constructive filters
- Manual Focusing takes a while to get used to.
- Again, one who got used to Auto Focusing lens might feel a little tough, but once get used to, will find it a nice and good lens to have.

Some may feel that Manual Focusing lenses are hard and difficult to get used to, but from my experience after shooting, it is really very easy ! Focusing is a breeze even for beginners who had just started photography.

Why ? That’s because of the hyper focus distance. Let me give you guys an example. The Samyang 14mm f/2.8, when at 14mm, f/8.0, the hyper focus distance is somewhere around 0.5m. So, I can conclude that anything above 0.5m to infinity would be sharp. Thus, shooting landscape with this lens is definitely as easy as A B C ! All you need to do is just to compose your frame properly, and shoot. That’s it !

Another thing why I really like about this lens is the built, the exterior coating of the lens makes the lens look rigid and solid. And the focusing barrel is as smooth as silk. When mounted to my Canon 550D Body, the lens mount is as good as Canon lenses, without wobbling or anything that you can think off. The built, the Image Quality and Sharpness can really be on par with Canon or Nikon Original Lenses.

However, the bad thing about this lens, is the built in lens hood, as with this built in lens hood, the lens cap is oversize huge and I could not put the lens cap into my pocket and have to keep it in my bag during shooting. Also, this lens does not have any filter screw, so putting creativity such as ND or Circular Polarizer filters is a major problem. Some of my friends think that the problem can be overcome by DIY a filter holder onto the hood. Otherwise, i would not mind the filter screw part as the lens gave me the contrast and the details, the sharpness and the top of the range image quality which I really fall in love with this lens totally.

This lens really prove everyone wrong, especially the pictures I have taken with it, and i can’t bear to look at them almost on daily basis. Also, I felt very satisfied and proud of my photos as well, even though there isn’t a filter screw to slot in filters.

Out of the box, it comes with the detailed instruction manual, the comfortable high quality lens pouch, the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Lens with the Lens Cap and rear Lens Cap wrapped in a transparent plastic bag.

IMG_9816.jpg

I went to Margaret Drive to shoot with this lens, and with this 14mm focal length, it offered me a different perspective. And as you can see the above photograph, the lens gives a minimal distortion and there isn’t a lack of contrast and sharpness.

IMG_9845.jpg

Shooting under day light, this lens handles really well with it’s chromatic aberration.
IMG_9847.jpg

Very good stuffs, pictures taken with it handles well with minimal distortion, and sharpness. I will post the same picture with 100% crop to show you guys the sharpness and image quality.
IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

i am using this lens on my 5D2, excellent UWA, so nice that I decided to sell off my canon 16-35 hee.... until i am rich enough to buy the canon 14 2.8L, i am sticking to this.

Bought this lens recently for one of my travel. 14L II is too expensive for what I want to do - i.e. just landscape at f8/11 (no events at all). And I don't need the 17-40L or 16-35L zoom either. At f8/11, there is no need for auto focus lens either.

Set the distance between 1-2m and pretty much everything you want to shoot will be in focus due to the huge DOF.

One thing to note: make sure you don't get the version 1 since there was quite a bit of flare problem. To distinguish between the two, make sure the box said " Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC"

The old version should read "Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical". There is not many of these out in the market as Samyang has recall this version pretty early.

Here is one of the review from lenstip: http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=239

If you are interested in this FF MF lens, you should at least read section 4 - Image Resolution. Look at the MTF nos. and you will be very surprise.

Last edited:
Someone with a 16-35mm L II posted this comparison. Looks like the Samyang is a winner in the rough comparison. ( wonder how it performs wide open )

* i know unfair to compare a prime to zoom, but i didn expect the difference to be that stellar, and i have a hunch the nikon 14-24 will do much better :p

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canoneos5dmarkii/discuss/72157624987632439/

Ryan

Last edited:
TS,do you have any test on how it handles flare?:)

Nope, maybe because of my shooting style, I have not encountered any flares. That could be because I dont use any filters at all, or another other glass in front of my lens.

Just to share,

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

14mm @ f/11 @ 30 secs

Featuring Singapore Skyline !

IMG_9867 by jerrold2010, on Flickr

nice one you got here! i'm in the market for uwa and this lens is appealling to me.

hey, any idea how much is the lens ?

hey, any idea how much is the lens ?

You can purchase this lens at sgcamerastore. I guess they have a promotion right now, retail price is $699.

I found this lens while I was browsing in the mass sales section and this lens caught my eye. Read the reviews posted by overseas forum and eventually I bought one for myself.

The pipe on #5 looks a bit curved... Is it really curved or is it just me? :eek::dunno:

Nice review, i didn't expect samyang perform this well! I think the inability to take filter is not really a major concern as filter does degrade (even by just a little bit) some of the lens ability to handle flares and stuff.. But, for creative effect, i think it really makes a bit of a problem..

The pipe on #5 looks a bit curved... Is it really curved or is it just me? :eek::dunno:

I think for lenses like this, it is inevitable to have some sort of distortion..
The only lens that i have seen (in the internet, not real life) that handles distortion exceptionally is the nikon 13mm f/5.6, dubbed as "The Holy Grail".. :)

This lens will be much desired by the FF user...a little distortion is fine..but still hope the review could be done on a FF to show the true corner performance...

This lens will be much desired by the FF user...a little distortion is fine..but still hope the review could be done on a FF to show the true corner performance...

Maybe CS Tan can post some of the photos here since he is using a FF body.

Nice review, i didn't expect samyang perform this well! I think the inability to take filter is not really a major concern as filter does degrade (even by just a little bit) some of the lens ability to handle flares and stuff.. But, for creative effect, i think it really makes a bit of a problem..

I think for lenses like this, it is inevitable to have some sort of distortion..
The only lens that i have seen (in the internet, not real life) that handles distortion exceptionally is the nikon 13mm f/5.6, dubbed as "The Holy Grail".. :)

Also, if we will to compare head to head with the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and the Canon 14mm f/2.8, the main difference is not the sharpness and image quality, it's the distortion, how it handles well with the distortion.

But hey, come to think, since the IQ and Sharpness is up to be on par, the minimal distortion can be corrected during PP when one is at home. Look, this Samyang is just a mere $699, but a Canon is almost $3500 !