Samsung NX10: decent camera for amateur/beginner photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etna-sama

Aug 18, 2010
I'd love to start with a 'hi, i'm new!' opening, but i think my post count of '1'would have done that already, so i'll skip the intro.

For some reason, I have always been attracted to the Samsung brand for just about everything. Furthermore, I have recently started acquiring some interest in photography, but not on the level to warrant a DSLR yet.

However, the recent emergence of 'hybrid cameras' which fall in the grey area between high-end compact and budget DSLR has also got me interested, and the Samsung NX10 has caught my eye for quite some time. Am actually seriously considering getting this camera during COMEX to take advantage of any discounts.

I have seen some shots of the Samsung NX10 in this forum, and most owners generally agree that the picture quality can rival entry-level DSLRs even though it has a slightly smaller sensor. As as far as i can see, the NX10's 100% crops arent as sharp as I would have liked, but they are still very passable.

But the more important question is, what are the shortcomings of the NX10 besides weak contrast detection, and will an NX10 with an 18-55mm (f 3.5-5.6) lens and a 15-200mm (f5-5.6) make a decent kit for a beginner/amateur photographer? Also taking into consideration that I 'may' be using this camera for media events. The office camera feels very 'alien' to me, and most photographers have said that feeling uncomfortable with one's gear is a sure sign that things are not going to be good.

*Note: I have no intention of getting the Samsung 30mm pancake lens, even though it is arguably the most popular lens for the NX10. Fixed-focus lens are not suited for me.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if the NX5 is sold locally?

Last edited:
1. Be comfortable with your tools
2. Explore as much as you can

this is all i can offer ;p

i think i wont answer so many of your questions... will let the others who will very quickly give their comments soon... Oh i like samsung too.. yup..

but just don't buy from COMEX la.. you want discount? wont' get much discount la.. only get alot of freebies that may not be really of quality..

go to one of the recommended shops.. say MS color, ask to try the camera, try it play around for an hour or two.. then in the mean time, talk to the guys there, learn about the NX10, build relationship.. This is called PULL STRINGS.. then next time can always go there to get stuff..

as for the technicalities don't really worry too much.. if you are such a big fan then just get it.. APPLE iPhone oso got so many problem, but heck all the apple fans.. and even non-apple die-hards oso get.. hais.. i SUPER APPLE FAN since 1997 oso haven't got my iPhone 4 yet.. (Waiting for the White one~! haha..)

I'd love to start with a 'hi, i'm new!' opening, but i think my post count of '1'would have done that already, so i'll skip the intro.

For some reason, I have always been attracted to the Samsung brand for just about everything. Furthermore, I have recently started acquiring some interest in photography, but not on the level to warrant a DSLR yet.

However, the recent emergence of 'hybrid cameras' which fall in the grey area between high-end compact and budget DSLR has also got me interested, and the Samsung NX10 has caught my eye for quite some time. Am actually seriously considering getting this camera during COMEX to take advantage of any discounts.

I have seen some shots of the Samsung NX10 in this forum, and most owners generally agree that the picture quality can rival entry-level DSLRs even though it has a slightly smaller sensor. As as far as i can see, the NX10's 100% crops arent as sharp as I would have liked, but they are still very passable.

But the more important question is, what are the shortcomings of the NX10 besides weak contrast detection, and will an NX10 with an 18-55mm (f 3.5-5.6) lens and a 15-200mm (f5-5.6) make a decent kit for a beginner/amateur photographer? Also taking into consideration that I 'may' be using this camera for media events. The office camera feels very 'alien' to me, and most photographers have said that feeling uncomfortable with one's gear is a sure sign that things are not going to be good.

*Note: I have no intention of getting the Samsung 30mm pancake lens, even though it is arguably the most popular lens for the NX10. Fixed-focus lens are not suited for me.

Firstly, try not to get your camera at COMEX. Usually during shows, DSLRs or EVILs (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) are more expensive than what you can find in stores. Sure, they give you more freebies, but the price is usually RRP. If you do the math, you will find out you lose out in the end.

Secondly, All cameras are good. It really depends on how you use it. A camera is just a tool, you need to know if that particular tool meets you needs. If a camera doesn't feel good in your hands, it doesn't mean it is not good. It just means you are not used to it. Every one has their own preferences. One man's mean is another man's poison.

Thirdly, you need to be very sure of your needs and match that to the camera you will buy in the end. EVILs are lighter but they also do not have a real optical viewfinder. This means the camera has to power the Electronic viewfinder all the time. This means battery life per charge will be lower than your average DSLR. And being a new system, lenses are very limited. And since you are using it for media events, are you comfortable with these factors in mind? And if you need to use an external flash gun like most event shooters, will the camera be suitable? Will the flash be expensive? will the flash balance well with the smaller cam?

In the end, you have to answer the questions yourself as you are the one using it. We can give you suggestions, or point you in some directions or ask you questions to help your thought process. But you have to make the call in the end.

Last edited:

Firstly, a warm welcome to clubsnap...! :)
Can I just clarify your reasons for choosing a hybrid camera like NX10 over a traditional DSLR? If it's only because you think "I'm not there yet in terms of skill", then I say it's the wrong line of thinking. Entry-level DSLRs are no more difficult to use.

If you compare size, then yes, DSLRs are certainly bigger. But in the long run I think they're still easier to handle and operate... hehehe as you can tell I'm a DSLR fan.
Something like Sony A2xx/3xx series, or Canon xxxD series, or Nikon D3000 (just to name a few) are pretty small and handy as well.

Firstly, a warm welcome to clubsnap...! :)
Can I just clarify your reasons for choosing a hybrid camera like NX10 over a traditional DSLR? If it's only because you think "I'm not there yet in terms of skill", then I say it's the wrong line of thinking. Entry-level DSLRs are no more difficult to use.

If you compare size, then yes, DSLRs are certainly bigger. But in the long run I think they're still easier to handle and operate... hehehe as you can tell I'm a DSLR fan.
Something like Sony A2xx/3xx series, or Canon xxxD series, or Nikon D3000 (just to name a few) are pretty small and handy as well.

err...actually...my reason is very simple (and stupid at the same time).

It's simply because i'm a Samsung fan and half the hardware in my home are Samsung products. Plus I also have a Samsung camcorder and a point-and-shoot compact and since i'm thinking of getting a better camera, might as well make the 'collection' complete with the NX10.

ok, I think i just embarassed myself big time.

Last edited:
err...actually...my reason is very simple (and stupid at the same time).

It's simply because i'm a Samsung fan and half the hardware in my home are Samsung products. Plus I also have a Samsung camcorder and a point-and-shoot compact and since i'm thinking of getting a better camera, might as well make the 'collection' complete with the NX10.

ok, I think i just embarassed myself big time.
hahahah no la it's ok. Samsung is certainly a good brand.

To me, my main issue is that the camera is "handicapped" (and this is my personal opinion) by it trying to be packaged into a smaller form factor.
1) grip area is small = not so comfortable to hold for extended periods
2) no optical viewfinder = poorer battery life
3) weight balance is weird once you mount other stuff like longer lens or external flash.

in the end it's up to you. Don't worry so much about what others think. We can only offer suggestions :)

Welcome, to CS.

Firstly, I'd advise you not to specifically wait for COMDEX to buy the camera. These events typically have prices at RRP with freebies thrown in which are usually either not very good or rapidly outgrown. Look at what some of the good camera shops recommended here have to offer for the camera, then go down to COMDEX to compare for yourself.

The NX10 is an APS-C sensor camera. So it is expected to perform on par with other APS-C DSLR in terms of picture quality.

The 2 kit zoom lenses you specified should be good enough for most general usage.

For events, you might want to add a flash.

You might want to look at the reason why you want a NX10. Is it just that you want a Samsung product? (No right or wrong; just make sure you are making the right choice or the choice you want)
IMO, a EVIL cameras advantage is the smaller size when matched with small primes. But you are choosing zooms which are larger and break the small form factor of the camera. You might just be better off using a small DSLR like the Pentax Kx which performs better in terms of picture quality and is cheaper.
There are others as well, like the D3000, but the Pentax is smaller.

Hi, I own a NX10 with 18-55mm OIS and 30mm pancake.

First of all, just to clarify, the NX10 does not have a slightly smaller sensor. The sensor size is APS-C, which is the same as most DSLRs. Having said this, for an APS-C sensor it is not the best performer in terms of noise, but the dynamic range is certainly on par.

Regarding the sharpness of 100% crops - the kit lenses are fairly sharp and should be comparable to anything else out there. the 18-55mm has low chromatic aberration but some barrel distortion. I've heard very good reviews of the 55-200mm though - it is reportedly a very well made lens.

Regarding build quality - The NX10 is generally well built and feels very comfortable in the hand with a solid rubberized grip. If you've handled it you will immediately know what I mean.

For your situation, you may want to consider Samsung's lens road-map and delay your purchase a little. On top of the 18-55mm OIS, 30mm and 55-200mm, the following are upcoming:

5 additional lenses for the NX mount by Samsung:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022004samsungnxlens2010.asp

3 additional lenses by Samyang:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1006/10062803 samyangsamsungnxmount.asp

You may want to consider the 18-200mm for when it is released. Also, I understand that some of these items will be tweaked. The 20-50mm "compact" zoom (smaller than regular 18-55mm) will also come with OIS. The 20-50mm may be a compelling argument for a mobile shooter like yourself.

I have been using the NX10 for about 2 months now. The images I get are ridiculously detailed and of superb quality (especially if you shoot RAW). I think it is a delightful camera and SO much easier on the shoulders.. !

You should note that the NX10 is in fact a new type of "DSLR", but not in the way you may understand it. DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. The "SLR" is because of the mirror/prism box that facilitates the optical viewfinder. The NX10 has no mirror - instead replacing the optical viewfinder with an electronic one. Technology has allowed this progression without a significant drop in performance. In terms of image quality - it comes with a sensor of similar size and so should be comparable. In terms of features - I think it has everything a serious hobbyist will need.

I am personally of the opinion that the DSLR will slowly be replaced by "mirrorless" alternatives. The mirror will become redundant as electronic viewfinders become better featured and faster. DSLRs, in short, are on the way out.

Hi, Mirrorless camera without viewfinder is especially for those wearing specs. Viewing the screen and composing is easier with histogram and grid. It is faster than through the viewfinder which needs diopter adjustment at the side of the viewfinder to match the specs' vision. It is not comfortable to view the VF with specs.

Last edited:
I am personally of the opinion that the DSLR will slowly be replaced by "mirrorless" alternatives. The mirror will become redundant as electronic viewfinders become better featured and faster. DSLRs, in short, are on the way out.

Not to dwell into a DSLR versus EVIL debate but it will take time to decide whichever is the clear winner... If the fan base is strong enough - either product will continue with its product life-cycle. And just maybe both will continue going separate paths due to different user needs. It will not be easy to over take DSLRs with JUST a strong competitive body... The lenses will be the deciding factor overall and in the long term... And it will take YEARS to build up to a competitive edge - hope the new generation EVIL cams will have the necessary funds to do that... I'm not talking just about any lens - but FAST ones - like f/1.2 - 1.4 - 1.8...

Until the day the professionals moved on to EVIL cameras to do their large print work - advertisings, the Macro lovers with their super-hyper close-ups of their insect eyes. The Landscape-photographers with their UWA printed on the largest paper available... The DSLRs are VERY VERY far from singing the very first note of their swan song...

At the moment... NX10 is not on the Dpreview's top few list of most read reviews, whereas some older DSLRs are still there... :think: Whatever happened to the fans?...

LASTLY... I can use my viewfinder to gauge whether a photograph is worth taking from where I am or do I need to take a few steps forward or backwards without wasting power... CAN the NX10 do that?...

Last edited:

This I have to disagree.
It might be true that EVIL market share will steadily increase, but to suggest that it will 'wipe out' the DSLR is a bit.... unrealistic.

Performance aside, the main reason for going electronic is to reduce the size of the camera, because it does away with the mirror box and pentaprism.
With a big DSLR (eg. D700, D3 size), you're not trying to save space. So the main plus point of the EVIL has totally been negated.

The way EVILs are marketed, they're more like 'high-end' PnS cameras.

This I have to disagree.
It might be true that EVIL market share will steadily increase, but to suggest that it will 'wipe out' the DSLR is a bit.... unrealistic.

Performance aside, the main reason for going electronic is to reduce the size of the camera, because it does away with the mirror box and pentaprism.
With a big DSLR (eg. D700, D3 size), you're not trying to save space. So the main plus point of the EVIL has totally been negated.

The way EVILs are marketed, they're more like 'high-end' PnS cameras.

I wholesomely agree with your view point... Try going into professional photography work currently while using the EVIL - give it your best shot to convince your clients that it will do just as well as any DSLRs out there... and in return, they will give you an EVIL look... Public consensus is quite hard to change, let alone changing the mindset of the individual photographers...

Last edited:
Ha! Well I know some will disagree with me. But I think mirrorless cameras are slightly misunderstood. I would say that the size issue is secondary. Some cameras actually NEED to be bigger and heavier, to balance properly with heavier lenses.

It's true that right now, EVs are not fast enough, may consume more battery etc. But we have to understand that EVs in this genre of camera are still new, and look how fast progress has been made in the last year.

I think EVs are better because they show more information at any time, and a live preview of what the image will look like after it is shot. They also always show a 100% view.

As for battery life, my NX10 shoots about 400-500 shots per charge, depending on flash usage. This may not sound much compared with the 1000 shots of entry level DSLRs, but we have to remember that at one time, entry level DSLRs were shooting around these numbers as well. Battery technology will improve, and for professional cameras, bigger batteries will not be a problem at all.

But it will be a natural trend to take away the mirror. The camera then completely does away with a substantial mechanical component - and all the limitations that entails. The EVIL/ILC/mirrorless camera is a true digital camera, in every sense of the word.

ehhehhehh...had totally no idea that my simple 'opinions of the NX10' would end up as a debate on DSLR vs EVIL.:sweat::sweat:

Anyway, just rang up MS Color. Pricing is quite acceptable, so I might just decide to head down this weekend to test out the camera before making my decision.

pinholecam said:
You might want to look at the reason why you want a NX10. Is it just that you want a Samsung product? (No right or wrong; just make sure you are making the right choice or the choice you want)

Spot on. I have been a heavy user of Samsung products for quite a long time already (they make cheap and good things), so I guess there is quite a bit of brand loyalty involved here. A lot of my buddies have said that it is a very silly reason to justify an NX10 over a DSLR.

But of course, i'm not going to be a fanboy and insist on getting the NX10 if i feel like the camera does not suit me after some testing at MS Color. At the very least, there's still going to be some degree of rationality involved in making the final decision. After all, $800++ hard is a huge investment.

I guess one of these days I'll go check out the NX-10 at the shops, just for curiosity's sake
I've seen the one in the Lumix G1... and all I can say is... I MUCH prefer the D80's viewfinder :)

ehhehhehh...had totally no idea that my simple 'opinions of the NX10' would end up as a debate on DSLR vs EVIL.:sweat::sweat:

Anyway, just rang up MS Color. Pricing is quite acceptable, so I might just decide to head down this weekend to test out the camera before making my decision.

Spot on. I have been a heavy user of Samsung products for quite a long time already (they make cheap and good things), so I guess there is quite a bit of brand loyalty involved here. A lot of my buddies have said that it is a very silly reason to justify an NX10 over a DSLR.

But of course, i'm not going to be a fanboy and insist on getting the NX10 if i feel like the camera does not suit me after some testing at MS Color. At the very least, there's still going to be some degree of rationality involved in making the final decision. After all, $800++ hard is a huge investment.
just so you are informed:

an entry level DSLR like A2xx is around $600 w kit lens.
Pentax K-x is around $700ish with kit lens, and so is Nikon D3000.
I would assume Canon 1000D is around about there too.

Ha! Well I know some will disagree with me. But I think mirrorless cameras are slightly misunderstood. I would say that the size issue is secondary. Some cameras actually NEED to be bigger and heavier, to balance properly with heavier lenses.

It's true that right now, EVs are not fast enough, may consume more battery etc. But we have to understand that EVs in this genre of camera are still new, and look how fast progress has been made in the last year.

I think EVs are better because they show more information at any time, and a live preview of what the image will look like after it is shot. They also always show a 100% view.

As for battery life, my NX10 shoots about 400-500 shots per charge, depending on flash usage. This may not sound much compared with the 1000 shots of entry level DSLRs, but we have to remember that at one time, entry level DSLRs were shooting around these numbers as well. Battery technology will improve, and for professional cameras, bigger batteries will not be a problem at all.

But it will be a natural trend to take away the mirror. The camera then completely does away with a substantial mechanical component - and all the limitations that entails. The EVIL/ILC/mirrorless camera is a true digital camera, in every sense of the word.

Things to think about...

Just as techonolgy will improve, and EVIL cameras will be able to shoot 1000 shots in the future, the same power saving technology will enable DSLR to shoot 2000 shots.

As soon as you move to larger sensors like FF, the size will be big anyways, going mirror less will be less of an advantage.

And remember the old Fuji S2pro? It's sensor used to die a lot due to one problem. That its sensor is always on. There were auto cut off timer in the design like current day DSLRs. This is the same for EVIL, where the sensor is always on to let you see what you see in the EV. Not only does it sucks power, it is also heating up the sensor. So for professionals that are constantly shooting... that might not be the best thing. We are not even going to go into other potential issues like hot pixels, sensor life....

Anyway, I see it as 2 separate market segments. But seriously, you can believe in what you believe in. And I will believe what I believe in. In the meantime, you can enjoy your camera while I enjoy mine. And you can also enjoy charging your battery a lot more than mine... ;)

Last edited:
Let this debate rest...always happen when someone decides to drag out the "oh-this-is-so-going-to-kill-the-DSLR" point. If TS is a Samsung fan - nothing wrong with that, just go out and find the best price and enjoy the camera, period!

Let EVIL camera users use their cams to their hearts content and be happy with it, and same goes to DSLR-er users. No need to beat a dead horse...

Let EVIL camera users use their cams to their hearts content and be happy with it, and same goes to DSLR-er users. No need to beat a dead horse...

the horse actually should be buried le.. don't know why always got people go and dig out the corpse...

then dig out and beat... after that wait for someone like you to come and bury it again.. hais.. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.