Sample scans from the Canon CS5000F

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanjk

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
For those who are budget constrained, I've done a sample scans at

http://www.pbase.com/tanjk/cs5000f

You can see for yourself if that $399 is worth it. However, I'm rather disappointed with it's shadow performance, but then you pay $399, you get $399's worth ;)

Oh, the sample I have is scanned from Velvia 50, have not tried negatives yet, most of my early morning Provia 100F turns out quite bad, not sure why .... I'll see if I can put an example of it up there.

Regards,
JK

try blending two scans of diff exposure?
the highlights and shadow very harsh... original or scanner?

The harshness comes from the scanner. If examine under a 4x loupe, I can make out the shadow details and the highlights. It's about 9am in a slightly cloudy morning, so there shouldn't be any harsh shadows/highlights. To me, the slide is exposed properly. But as you can see, the scanner, I believe it's due to lack of dynamic range, is unable to reproduce the shadow details. You can however, brighten the whole thing to sacrifice the highlights and the shadow details comes out. I don't know why. You lose contrast also in the process. Anyway, it's a $399 flatbed w/TMA, must set a realistic level of expectations.

Btw, how do you blend 2 together? I'm keen to learn this technique :D I'm a PS newbie :p

Also, only the 5000F is available in Singapore. Both the 5000F and 8000F are available a month ago world wide.

Also, just to add, these scans are still 'virgin', direct from the scanner's default settings.

Regards,
JK

Status
Not open for further replies.