Sample photos from Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS USM (2 of which are with Canon 2x II TC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmund

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
eoslightbox.com
All the following shots were handheld.
Note: Licence plates of cars have been blanked out purposely for obvious reasons.

Frame28.jpg

Canon EOS 3 with Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS USM
Provia 400F 400mm AV f/4 TV 1/500

Frame27.jpg

Canon EOS 3 with Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS USM
Provia 400F 400mm AV f/4 TV 1/200
(This shot was particularly difficult to scan with results close to the original slide due to the large dynamic range between the darkest and brightest portions.)

Frame35.jpg

Canon EOS 3 with Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS USM + Canon 2x II TC
Provia 400F 800mm AV f/8 TV 1/320
(Its probably my fault that this photo is slightly soft, but hey!! I WAS shooting at 800mm handheld!!! :p )

Frame36.jpg

Canon EOS 3 with Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS USM + Canon 2x II TC
Provia 400F 800mm AV f/8 TV 1/400

Hehhe... don't worry lah ET, we won't scratch your new car lah! ;p

Anyway, What the $$$ tag on it? When was it out? Maybe I really out of touch liao.....

Originally posted by Bluestrike
Hehhe... don't worry lah ET, we won't scratch your new car lah! ;p

Anyway, What the $$$ tag on it? When was it out? Maybe I really out of touch liao.....
My new car?? Since when I got a new car and I dun even know about it?? :D (although I certainly wished it were true and I wasn't referring to the Hyundai... :p )

The 400 f/4 DO IS USM lens costs... *gulp* .. S$11k !!! :what:

Originally posted by Edmund
My new car?? Since when I got a new car and I dun even know about it?? :D (although I certainly wished it were true and I wasn't referring to the Hyundai... :p )

The 400 f/4 DO IS USM lens costs... *gulp* .. S$11k !!! :what:

Hahahaa... and I tot that you brought 3 cars at one go!:eek:
Anyway, It look good but the $$$ is enough to put mi off!

Originally posted by rueyloon

sharp meh ?!

well, at 800mm, i suppose robocop or superman might be able to produce a sharp handheld shot. mere mortals have to spend a bundle of $$ to buy Gitzos and Acratech or Arca Swiss to produce sharp shots at 500 and above mm..

;)

Originally posted by skf

well, at 800mm, i suppose robocop or superman might be able to produce a sharp handheld shot. mere mortals have to spend a bundle of $$ to buy Gitzos and Acratech or Arca Swiss to produce sharp shots at 500 and above mm..

;)

hehe... you hit the ball on the head :p our dear Edmund here is the one with the acratech :p

I'm not commenting about the technique or the lens itself. (I don't know what work flow the photos went though to be put up on the web either). But from what I see on the screen, it does not seem critically sharp.

But if I may deduce the reason. Those photos are of moving car, hence since everything is magnified, from the time focus is locked, until the time the film is exposed, the car probably moved already.

can someone answer this ?
a 400mm with a 2x, would you get the DOF of a 400mm lens or a 800mm ???

and another question, look at darren's face, his face is slightly turned to his right, that means his left ear is slightly closer to the camera, but how come his right ear (with is further) is bigger ??

hehe... you hit the ball on the head :p our dear Edmund here is the one with the acratech :p

I'm not commenting about the technique or the lens itself. (I don't know what work flow the photos went though to be put up on the web either). But from what I see on the screen, it does not seem critically sharp.

But if I may deduce the reason. Those photos are of moving car, hence since everything is magnified, from the time focus is locked, until the time the film is exposed, the car probably moved already.

and another question, look at darren's face, his face is slightly turned to his right, that means his left ear is slightly closer to the camera, but how come his right ear (with is further) is bigger ??
1: I punctured the car that day so it wll make help Edmund to shoot a better/clearer picture.

2: Darren was naughty that day, so I pull his ear.

;p

Ermm... they aren't critically sharp, but hey! I did say they were handheld!! All the subjects in the shots did not pose for me, so to move and catch the moment with a heavy setup doesn't really give me much time to get into a properly/optimally steadied handholding posture especially when I'm shooting at less than the optimal shutter speed in relation to the focal length in use. :p
(And compared to my 100-400, this lens IS HEAVY!!)

I have already explained above. However, I just need to add, what I have taken photos of with the lens is by no means anything close to the proper way to demonstrate the level of sharpness of the lens. My main aim was to get a feel of shooting with the lens and show some of the photos taken with it. One more point to note is, USMing was kept to a minimal amount as I shot with ISO 400 film and did not want too much grain to show up in the scan.

Well.. this lens has an aperture of f/4 @ 400mm. With a 2x TC, this reduces to f/8. I'm not sure if I understand what exactly do you mean by the "DOF of a 400mm lens or a 800mm" but if I get you correctly, my answer is NO. The maximum DOF achievable by the lens is not affected by the TC but obviously, at f/8, the minimum DOF is affected.

Hmmm... thats interesting... Darren?? Do you happen to have such differences in ear size?? :p

Originally posted by Edmund
Hmmm... thats interesting... Darren?? Do you happen to have such differences in ear size?? :p

This is the first time I (or even anyone else) has noticed my ears are not the same size - come to think of it, i think my testicles also not the same size ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.