Sample images from Sigma 24mm f1.8 on Nikon D700

ghoonk

Jul 30, 2007
Dubai, UAE
500px.com
Given the interest I've had from some fellow members here, here are some shots taken with my newly acquired Sigma 24mm f1.8 Macro. Bought it for around AED1800 (approx SGD610) from Grand Stores in Dubai as this is where I live and work

Overall, this seems to be a pretty good lens. I like the field of view, which is very similar to that of an iPhone, which makes it pretty handy for street photography. The bokeh appears to be pretty satisfactory, no complaints :)

My only gripes so far:

1. The inner barrel seems to rattle against the outer barrel. Not sure why
2. The focus ring covers so much of the barrel between the petal hood and the mount that there's barely an inch left. Which doesn't give me very much space to hold the barrel. On the upside, it's probably better for manual focusing when shooting 1:2.7 macro.
3. It's bigger than the Nikon 24mm f2.8 that it replaced. But at least now I have a wide macro (yay)

So, on with the pics....

These were shot in RAW and exported as JPG in LR3. No post processing was done, just import and export. Also, these are just casual shots - Didn't have time to head out for a proper shoot, but this lens will definitely come with me to the abandoned/ghost town on my next run

shot at f1.8, 1/50s, ISO 500

5574231735_4bc9848d8e.jpg

5574828962_4d5a0c8c0a.jpg

Here's one shot at f1.8, 1/50s, ISO 1250

5574260111_0910418318.jpg

Another casual shot of my wife's 'companions', with some minor post processing in LR3

5574884538_86b71bd1b8.jpg

Last edited:
It is VERY good indeed. The level of sharpness is superb, Bokeh is very delicious (means good) :D I like the duck picture especially because you can see the Sharp crisps details in the fur.

your copy don't need to calibriate right? samples seen ok. :)

Sweet. Bro now you know why I love this lens so much.

ghoonk said:
dd, is it normal for the inner barrel (the one that moves during focusing) to rattle when shaken?

No leh. Mine don't have. Solid no sound. Bring it in to SCS bro.

redmonsoon said:
Bro so u have this and 24mm f1.4?..

I've tried the 1.4 but I don't own it. Happy with the 1.8 siggy.

Here's hoping that I'd be happy too :)

I really like the output of the lens. Rich, contrasty, smooth bokeh, and FMS, the macro capability is just SO useful.

Picking it up, I can tell immediately it's not a Nikon. It's that same difference in feel between the interior of a BMW/Audi and a Lexus. Both pretty high-end, but different.

Yah, but good poison. Good and cheap

Go Google for a fast 24mm macro lens and see how many manufacturers make one. MFD is around 7.1 inches, which, honestly, is pretty damn good. Images are sharp in the center but people complain about softness outside of center. For this price, I don't care, and everything gets nice and sharp at f2.8, with full sharpness at f8. The next best alternative is the f1.4 - Nikon's costs 4.5 times more, and other brands like Voigt, CZ, etc are easily 2.5 times more.

Plus, for street and creative photography, I want that softness. And up close, thanks to the pseudo-macro capabilities, the bokeh is creamy smooth

love the smooth bokeh transition !!!!

I see significant vignette in the last 2 photos.

Last photo was postprocessed (I like vignettes, thats why they don't bother me that much) and the subject was lit by his screen on center weighted metering on second last one

Good news - I picked up the replacement yesterday from the shop. Not much play in this piece, pretty much as much as any zoom barrel would have. No focusing problems either!

Can't wait to get back out to shoot with this baby :)

Where to get this gem and how much? Looking to change my canon 28mm F1.8 to this.

Here's hoping that I'd be happy too :)

I really like the output of the lens. Rich, contrasty, smooth bokeh, and FMS, the macro capability is just SO useful.

Picking it up, I can tell immediately it's not a Nikon. It's that same difference in feel between the interior of a BMW/Audi and a Lexus. Both pretty high-end, but different.

Ya, but Lexus is still quite F up. except LS460

Sigma 24/1.8 on a D300s. SOOC jpeg.

5598762339_126b7799a8_z.jpg

Last edited: