Same setting, different lense = different tint. why?

rEv09

Feb 4, 2006
Hi pros,

I've done a test shot using 2 lense:
a) Nikon 50mm F1.8 (Pic 1)
b) Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (Pic 2)

at the same settings of ISO 100, F2.8. However, the picture from the Nikon 50mm F1.8 has a greenish tint. Why is that so?

Pic 1
NikonISO100-F28.jpg

Pic 2
TamronISO100-F28.jpg

try another time where everything is manual
e.g manual exposure, as opposed to aperture priority
and manual white balance as opposed to auto

den again, bear in mind that not all lenses are created equal. which does not mean the difference between 2 should be great at all.

the tamron lens did not manage to capture the human figure at the back.....

but with nikon lens, it manage to capture the human figure.. :think: and the appearance of it makes everything greenish. spooky le...

jokes aside, as u sure the white balance for both is the same? instead of auto, set it manually.

the tamron lens did not manage to capture the human figure at the back.....

but with nikon lens, it manage to capture the human figure.. :think: and the appearance of it makes everything greenish. spooky le...

I also will be quite scared... heebie jeebies already :sweat:

jokes aside, as u sure the white balance for both is the same? instead of auto, set it manually.

I also think it's a white balance issue, prob left on Auto. If not, then can blame it on the "presence" in the background.

I'm just guessing, might or might not be for the reason for the green cast. Could it be that you did not remove the CPL filter from the 50mm lens. Maybe that's the reason for the green cast & you know what a PL filter can do right? That's why the figure is there................woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

Fluorescent light? Bound to give funky colour casts if the exposure time is shorter than 1/50sec. Reason is the 50Hz frequency of AC and the fact that colours of fluorescent lamps change during the cycles of the AC power.

most probably it is due to the auto white balance.

Can you redo your test, but fix the white-balance too?

I'm getting heebie jeebies seeing that first pic with the shadow in the background again... arrgh :embrass:

1st photo looks under-exposed compare to the 2nd, you confirm camera setting and lighting condition didnt change?

Pic1: 1/13s, f/2.8, ISO100
Pic2: 1/15s, f/2.8, ISO100
(from exif)

Is the two picture taken at the same time of the day?

Just a guess...source of light is not constant even just a few min different. The light from the window or where ever sudden get a little dark.

To test:
Try using a soft box with a constant source of light...the rest of the settings, position of the camera (best mount on tripod) remain the same.

Only the lens is different (take away filter). Then you can give a conclusion.

I think should not have so much different even it is two different brand.

Different lens manufacturers use different glass formulation. The differences use will definitely effect the colour response of the picture - assuming all camera settings are equal.

Like Sigma lens for example they are known to give slightly warmer images. There are several factors such as lens glass material, anti-reflective coatings etc.

regards,
Sulhan

for your test to be conclusive you need to use manual settings including white balance, iso, focusing point is the same.

also ensure that at both times, the background is consistent.

also use a tripod so that your lens is fixed and focusing at the same spot.

Although each lens has a slight tint to it, the colour difference wouldn't be so great.

Do try your experiment again at a fixed white balance setting. Set it to custom, 6000k and see if there is any more difference. :)