Samaritians and Profiteers in these Forums


Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2005
45
0
0
#1
Anyone following this trend of late, this is getting pretty obvious of the above.

If anyone who happens to 'ask' or 'finger' this thread, no, there is no main point of this post except voicing my respects for those with good intention to help thin costs or render availability of common interest items for every fellow member here. Isnt that the Spirit of the MOs in the FIRST place?..

Fact these number of items have very distinctive costings thats increasingly transparent [thanks to a spreading as well entrepreneurial membership] - so much so any 'more' that, its called 'apparent'.

then comes Those who seek to rip an opportunistic :devil:

Always, we cant just send someone to the gallows the moment he raises a knife...to cut free a tangled fish - Contexts Vary. so for those yet 'informed brothers and sisters' herein, its 'caveat emptor' --- "Let the buyer beware"!

til then, it will always be "No Banal In My Thread!"... but there seems new versions of late..'Privacy' the new coined term?..:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

#2
I dont see anything wrong with offering a service i.e MO and earn some money from it. Anyway there is no free lunch in this world. IIRC, that sentence was quoted by our very own senior minister, then, the prime minister.
 

hongsien

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2002
3,688
0
36
105
Hong Kong
Visit site
#3
ray_stinger said:
I dont see anything wrong with offering a service i.e MO and earn some money from it. Anyway there is no free lunch in this world. IIRC, that sentence was quoted by our very own senior minister, then, the prime minister.
Huh? Did Goh ever mentioned 'No Banal Talk' in his talks???
 

blimmer

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
306
0
0
#4
hongsien said:
Huh? Did Goh ever mentioned 'No Banal Talk' in his talks???
ray_stinger is referring to his 2nd sentence: "Anyway there is no free lunch in this world."
 

Prismatic

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2003
1,323
0
36
38
In the void.
Visit site
#5
ray_stinger said:
I dont see anything wrong with offering a service i.e MO and earn some money from it. Anyway there is no free lunch in this world. IIRC, that sentence was quoted by our very own senior minister, then, the prime minister.
Actually, that statement was first quoted by economist, Adam Smith. Our senior minister was quoting him.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#7
talking of which..

I noticed 2 newly registered nicks with their FIRST posts asking for pictures of a certain location. They seem to know where to post and quite experienced for a newbie IMO.

Business people posing as school students trying to get free photos?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=125936

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=126000
:dunno:
asking for pics of roughly the same area.:think:

ps: both nicks registered on the same day.. (12 april 05)
 

blimmer

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
306
0
0
#8
yanyewkay said:
talking of which..

I noticed 2 newly registered nicks with their FIRST posts asking for pictures of a certain location. They seem to know where to post and quite experienced for a newbie IMO.

Business people posing as school students trying to get free photos?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=125936

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=126000
:dunno:
asking for pics of roughly the same area.:think:

ps: both nicks registered on the same day.. (12 april 05)
Its better to think of people as good-natured rather than mistrusting everyone. What can he/she do with the pictures? Sell them for a tidy profit? I offered to help with the SMU request well knowing he/she cant get a good price from my poor photography skills haha :sweat:
 

mervlam

Senior Member
Apr 26, 2002
2,279
0
0
Visit site
#9
blimmer said:
Its better to think of people as good-natured rather than mistrusting everyone. What can he/she do with the pictures? Sell them for a tidy profit? I offered to help with the SMU request well knowing he/she cant get a good price from my poor photography skills haha :sweat:
poor photo skills or not... the photos belong to you.. u produced the photos with considerable labour, skill, and time. that's good enough for copyright.. would you stand aside and watch the profits from YOUR photos go into the pockets of a stranger?

again i quote Adam Smith, "There is no free lunch in this world".
 

blimmer

New Member
Apr 1, 2005
306
0
0
#10
mervlam said:
poor photo skills or not... the photos belong to you.. u produced the photos with considerable labour, skill, and time. that's good enough for copyright.. would you stand aside and watch the profits from YOUR photos go into the pockets of a stranger?

again i quote Adam Smith, "There is no free lunch in this world".
With reference to the other thread, I would offer help without expecting any form of repayment. I deem it an honour if they choose to use my photos for sensible and legal uses of course.

There are free lunches in this world, simply because of people like me. And I know I'm not alone. Cut the pessimism, the world isnt as bad as we make it out to be.

ok back to soccer.
 

Feb 1, 2005
45
0
0
#11
the point here isnt lunch.
Lunch, free or otherwise, is fine. really.

Putting my first arguments into context, imagine you realising that the Dining Voucher you just got at $8 from that wondering salesman, costs actually just $5 everywhere else had you asked. how would that meal taste now

I am not yet certain but there are signs of those herding techniques used back in those 60s/70s days, where movie tickets are quickly snatched up by 'resellers' we shall nicely address them, who then of course resells them at a premium after cooking up a monopoly. But baiting (sweettalk?) newbies and then getting them enmass onto orders (mostly 'pre' actually, just to test if waters hold), again at a significant premium?.. who is doing what now, i will leave it to personal subject. again i salute those who share a good deal, not just paint a good one.

Coming to painting, experience tells me as much as we would like to portray as many people as trustworthy than otherwise, there are as many people out there who would want to portray as many us here as naive as they hope us to be.
 

#12
If you know it is costing only $5 everywhere else, who on the right mind will get it for $8? Besides, its a free market, if you paid $8 only to later realised u have been shortchanged, just got to blame yourself for not checking out the rates before hand, no?

To elaborate on it further, I think no one would want to do a business without earning some money or benefits in return. MO in itself is a service offered, hence deserved to be paid. :)
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#13
You mainly missed the meaning of MASS ORDER. Go figure.

You obviously have nothing better to do so start such threads, so self-righteous eh? :rolleyes:
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#14
ray_stinger said:
I dont see anything wrong with offering a service i.e MO and earn some money from it. Anyway there is no free lunch in this world. IIRC, that sentence was quoted by our very own senior minister, then, the prime minister.

sorry about my ignorance, but what is IIRC? IRC i heard before. :embrass:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#15
ray_stinger said:
To elaborate on it further, I think no one would want to do a business without earning some money or benefits in return. MO in itself is a service offered, hence deserved to be paid. :)
Even if not paid, you should see how some people demand this demand that.

Till now I'm into my 9th MO for the protectors, I'm still holding on to protectors from 6th MO. I have to organise meet ups, sit there waste my time waiting for people to turn up and collect, if you think that's fun, TRY AGAIN.
 

jamestan

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,726
0
0
50
Singapore
#16
cuxiaowang said:
Anyone following this trend of late, this is getting pretty obvious of the above.

If anyone who happens to 'ask' or 'finger' this thread, no, there is no main point of this post except voicing my respects for those with good intention to help thin costs or render availability of common interest items for every fellow member here. Isnt that the Spirit of the MOs in the FIRST place?..

Fact these number of items have very distinctive costings thats increasingly transparent [thanks to a spreading as well entrepreneurial membership] - so much so any 'more' that, its called 'apparent'.

then comes Those who seek to rip an opportunistic :devil:

Always, we cant just send someone to the gallows the moment he raises a knife...to cut free a tangled fish - Contexts Vary. so for those yet 'informed brothers and sisters' herein, its 'caveat emptor' --- "Let the buyer beware"!

til then, it will always be "No Banal In My Thread!"... but there seems new versions of late..'Privacy' the new coined term?..:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
You seem rather incoherent and babbling. What's your point? Can you re-write in plan simple English so that people like me can understand??
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#18
thx ray_stinger. paiseh, i old man already, cannot catch up with so many internet jargons. :embrass:
 

jamestan

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
1,726
0
0
50
Singapore
#19
espn said:
Even if not paid, you should see how some people demand this demand that.

Till now I'm into my 9th MO for the protectors, I'm still holding on to protectors from 6th MO. I have to organise meet ups, sit there waste my time waiting for people to turn up and collect, if you think that's fun, TRY AGAIN.
I think you are beling too kind. You conduct MO, and pple treat you like a bloody fool. Order and then don't pay and don't want the product anymore.

I suggest next time pple deposit $$ into your bank first, or post their confirmation in the thread itself or e-mail you. Couple of days / weeks back there was an article in the ST where a judge ruled that e-mails are a form of contract, ie legally-binding.

I wish you all the best, even though I have not personally met you...
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
42
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#20
I don't see any problems with making money by reselling. i mean, if, as you say, there are many people willing to share good deals, well that's as easy as posting online saying "i bought this from who, at price, at this location, go get em while they're hot!" it doesn't take much effort.

but if someone is gonna be making overseas phone calls, negotiating lower prices, fax in fax out, emails to and fro, meet up with pple, handle consumer enquiries and complaints, set up payment options, organise distribution provide some sort of warranty as well as putting his reputation on the line, then you want that person to do that out of GOODWILL????

and your flowery english with lots of double negatives and long sentences irritates me. there are many flaws in ur grammer and sentence structure. just talk normally lar can anot? and wat the heck is "enmass"??? i believe u meant "amass" (and even then the sentence doesn't make sense).. so pls.. dun embarass yourself...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom