salvage this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblerot

May 3, 2003
27216501.jpg

anybody has any tips to how i can salvage this overexposed image caused by flash

noblerot said:
27216501.jpg

anybody has any tips to how i can salvage this overexposed image caused by flash

272165011.jpg

is this better?
i adjusted some levels, made a duplicated and inverted the colors. then i put it on overlay.

adjusted the brightness and contrast too :)

noblerot said:
27216501.jpg

How's this :

detail

Just open with PS CS, lower brightness, and adjust shadow/highlight.

Alternatively, you can try using airbrush and paintbrush in PS to replace the details lost by the blown highlights, cloning nearby skintones with eyedropper tool and working on a large zoomed in (300%) image. Finally, adjust curves and reduce gamma to 0.9 to balance out the overexposure.
e.g.

27222192.jpg

grrrrr.... the flash !!!

many thanx to evildolly and chriszzz, i did something similar to your effect but i thot i didnt do enuf justice to this cute little girl :(

initially i wanted to make it feel like the girl is in the tank but look at what i did !! *sigh*

have you all tried the underwater world ?? is a real challenge esp with my new flash

zaren your tips are refreshing and probably the most natural looking compared to mine, tks.

my try on this.. =)

test2.jpg

Clown said:
my try on this.. =)

test2.jpg

wah, i think she was drinking vodka :bsmilie:

keke, tks Clown

hmm.. i think my monitor's calibration is off again.. time to recalibrate

Clown said:
hmm.. i think my monitor's calibration is off again.. time to recalibrate

****...dont tell me mine is off too :( i calibrated quite a while ago, ppl with precise calibration pls feedback

not sure if my monitor's calibration is correct or not. :sweat: giving it a try. :) this is the nearest i can get i guess, maybe can tweak a bit more

salvagecutegirl.jpg

using brush tool to fill up the missing parts
-> add new multiple layer, pick closest colors, brush over, adjust the opacity if needed to get to the closes, dodge to give a bit of highlight on skin.
(this procedure took a while to complete)

then move on to burn tool, burn some of the lines out, like the nose, brows, fingers.. etc. to give more depth.

then use the dodge shadow tool, dodge out the background, showing the detail of the underwater world.

that's about it. :) hope it helps

noblerot, how come this girl sitting on the handrails? going to be fed to the fishes? :D

27216501.jpg
04-03-24-baby.jpg

Left - Original
Right - My take

I don't think Photoshop is the way to go here. Is this picture important to you? If you are willing to spend more time on this, you should start all over again on this. Assuming that you used a negative here, I suggest you make atleast 2 scans. 1 as you have here (ugh. the colors) and another that has more details in the highlights. Use these two as starting points, use the clone, makk etc tools and fix it. You will have a more reasonable end product than the patchy ones posted here. MHO, I am not berating any PS experts.

Sorry to mention, If you used a slide, you cannot get any details from the over exposed parts and you will be better off discarding the slide and try your hand at another shot.

RemAcuTetigisti, tks for your suggestion

fyi, is not on positive nor negative

this is a relevant digital darkroom topic, it is healthy to let other PS experts try their hands at it and loook at diff opts available to myself and some other photog having the same experience even if it is not life and death

tks experts :), i reserve my comments cos i think everybody made good effort here and the methods displayed are interesting :)

sehsuan, i was supposed to clone out the rail or move her wholebody into the tank :) hehehe but now the immediate prob is her face

noblerot said:
sehsuan, i was supposed to clone out the rail or move her wholebody into the tank :) hehehe but now the immediate prob is her face

poor baby, surviving on air from a waterbottle? noblerot... or you feeding her with wine again? :devil: :D

aiyah. go and reshoot again lor. this time the young child using the camera, and you kenna thrown into the water... :bsmilie:

sehsuan said:
poor baby, surviving on air from a waterbottle? noblerot... or you feeding her with wine again? :devil: :D

aiyah. go and reshoot again lor. this time the young child using the camera, and you kenna thrown into the water... :bsmilie:

cannot la, this is a candid shot

this is a chance to practice and kinda a challenge to save the photo. hehe...

but while doing it, i was thinking that it's not too possible to just touch up on her face, because since the flash just brighten everything, patching up her face only will make the whole photo looks weird. and with the clothe she's in, it's gonna be quite some work to touch up so that it goes with the face. :sweat: so, a bit hard to salvage.

but she is still so cute. :lovegrin: hehe..

adding on : it's hard, but can be done :D just need more time, patience and playing around with the tools. :thumbsup:

How about this now?

27216501.jpg
04-03-24-baby.jpg

Left - Original
Right - My take

didn't really bother to do a proper selection on the face/hair region, so it looks like it's a grafted face... :D

noblerot said:
27216501.jpg

salvaged.jpg

My 'chicken way out' when i blow the face or mess up the WB - go mono. :bsmilie:

i've also removed the railing and cropped out some of the space on top, sharpened the center and blurred the 'frame' around her face.

Oh, i also tried to correct the burn on her hand and water bottle.

The background and foreground are of a different tinge so that her hair doesn't grow a 'crown'.

Status
Not open for further replies.