Salutations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keenblade

Heya, I'm a new registrant into CS forums... I've been an avid casual snapper for years and I finally took the plunge into DSLR.

I've been an avid photographer for 8 years (ever since I got my ixus 30 which is still working now) but lately after 2 rounds of servicing, it's sadly breathing its last.

Now I'm a proud owner of a EoS 1000D!

I'm friendly and chatty (relatively) and am continuously seeking advice and feedback for further improvement, so any tips or feedback given will be much appreciated.

Currently I'm looking for photoshoots/outings to build up my experience with my new DSLR as well as photog skills, hope I can get to join up with other shutterbugs soon!

Here's one of my "portfolio" shots, taken about 3 years ago. I'll be posting questions and stuff after this welcome post ;p

First questions of the day!

I've read from other posts (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573847) about storage conditions. However the mannual for EOS1000d only says "operating humidity at 85%", nothing about storage conditions. I'm using a Samsung dry box with a Huminitymeter with a DIY Calcium Chloride drying agent inside (Thirsty Hippo), currently it sits around 35%-45% rh and I'm wondering if this is proper for storage.

Secondly, I'm in the process of learning GIMP to help with photo touchups, just wondering if there are any communities for this kind of software or is everyone using PS (photoshop), GIMP's learning curve is pretty steep, was hoping I could find a forum board where I could post questions too. That or are there any recommended photo utilities available.

Edit: Also, for photograph copyrighting, I have heard that Deviantart has better protection for your work than flickr and photobucket/snapfish, apart from hosting your own webbie/portal, is this true?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello...welcome.

Recommended storage humidity is between 45-55%. You may want to invest in a proper dry cabinet for easier control and it's really hassle free.

To your 2nd question - I don't really manipulate my photos a lot so I am still using Picasa (free ware). Which to use depends on yourself.

I can't answer your 3rd question but you can always limit the access to people who are able to view your pictures in these sites right?

Hello...welcome.

Recommended storage humidity is between 45-55%. You may want to invest in a proper dry cabinet for easier control and it's really hassle free.

To your 2nd question - I don't really manipulate my photos a lot so I am still using Picasa (free ware). Which to use depends on yourself.

I can't answer your 3rd question but you can always limit the access to people who are able to view your pictures in these sites right?

Yeah, I'll invest in a proper electric dry cabinet, now on the wishlist is a macro lens/adapter and the cabinet... those two are a must-buys once I get the funds. Thanks for the heads up.

Picasa I've heard before... I'll go take a look, almost forgot about it.

Limiting access is one, but rather the copyright protection? Like if I find my photos elsewhere can I point at my account and say "look, I uploaded this 3 months before you posted yours" or somethingy. Either way, amongst the three (flickr, photobucket, deviantart) which would be better recommended? Or is there a better option out there ~~~

Thanks for the advice =)

Hi Keenblade,

welcome to CS.

For copyright, you can only argue the case thru the original file's EXIF data. That would prove the picture taken date accordingly. As for the legal details, I believe you may need to check with a lawyer on this matter.

For humidity settings, what you have is a lil too low, may dry up the rubber if you leave it inside for long periods of time.

Hi Keenblade,

welcome to CS.

For copyright, you can only argue the case thru the original file's EXIF data. That would prove the picture taken date accordingly. As for the legal details, I believe you may need to check with a lawyer on this matter.

For humidity settings, what you have is a lil too low, may dry up the rubber if you leave it inside for long periods of time.

Thanks for the heads up! So the humidity should be about 55%? I'll really have to get a proper electric box then... can't control the humidity with a Calcium Chloride drying agent ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.