salty question

cracklens

Jun 11, 2010
good afternoon all,i'm sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section.

i would like to ask if it's ok to bring our SLR cam with zoom lens on board a boat to take pictures of fishing activities ?....it would be for about 5days on board.A friend was kind enough to loan his cam and zoom lens for the trip, he couldnt make it for the trip but wanted me to take some pics using his cam...i'm sure his cam n lens are quite expensive.I'm quite reluctant and uneasy using it as I would rather use my PnS waterproof camera.

my concern is, with the salty elements,air and all.It's not a waterproof camera.I would not want it to get damaged.

so my question I guess is, will it be a good idea to bring an expensive camera/lens on board a boat to take fishing pictures? can anyone please advice...

Thank you for your time.

I say generally a DSLR should be able to sustain salty air without great impact to the gear, but you might wanna flush the interiors after back to mainland with a blower or anything to prevent excessive corrosion. The part about it's your friend's camera. We don't know your friend, so we can't be sure which weapon he will use to "murder" you should u drop it into the sea. Perhaps a club ? Perhaps a chain saw ? :bsmilie:
Since you don't own the camera, I highly recommend, there again it's just my opinion, use your own camera. If you are just there to enjoy the fishing experience, I say you spend more time on that rather than nice pictures. The boat will be rocky, will it ? Sounds "dangerous"...

good afternoon all,i'm sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section.

i would like to ask if it's ok to bring our SLR cam with zoom lens on board a boat to take pictures of fishing activities ?....it would be for about 5days on board.A friend was kind enough to loan his cam and zoom lens for the trip, he couldnt make it for the trip but wanted me to take some pics using his cam...i'm sure his cam n lens are quite expensive.I'm quite reluctant and uneasy using it as I would rather use my PnS waterproof camera.

my concern is, with the salty elements,air and all.It's not a waterproof camera.I would not want it to get damaged.

so my question I guess is, will it be a good idea to bring an expensive camera/lens on board a boat to take fishing pictures? can anyone please advice...

Thank you for your time.

hee hee thanks david..appreciate it lots...me friend is pretty harmless....for now hee...i see what u're saying...but d reason why he wants me to use his toys is because dis trip we are fishing for sail fishes..u know the fish with d long bill and has d awsome sail on it's back (something like a marlin ).....it's strictly catch n release....these fishes will fly in the air....dance d moon walk on d water n all....that's d reason why he wanna ask me to take them shots....hopefully to get some nice shots wif his telephoto lens n all.

i was thinking that i wont fish first.....let the rest fish and since me hands r still clean...i can take d pics first...once it's my turn,i will stop using d cam completely.....having said that...i'm still a lil reluctant to use his cam...

once again,thanks for your time.

Perhaps you might want to set the camera to "P" mode if you're unfamiliar with it. And please do type in the words properly as a courtesy to the rest of the forum members, rather than having them to try to decipher what you're trying to say. :)

There's nothing like a ruined on-loan camera to ruin a friendship ;p

TS, it really depends how comfortable you are with this planned arrangement. If you're not familiar with using his DSLR, no guarantee you can capture nice photos too.

Last edited:
Thanks ZerocoolAstra, you're most probably right,I should try to be more familiar with using his DSLR first.

Thank you very much ziploc, I appreciate it.Will set the camera to "P" if I'm unfamiliar with it.I'll also type in the words properly in future as a courtesy to the rest of the forum members,rather than having them to try to decipher what i'm trying to say:).Being on a courteous mode,I read my thread over and over again,but I dont see me mentioning about being familiar about with using his DSLR,guaranteed of capturing nice photos, and even might want to set the camera to "P" mode.It would be courteous when replying, to just stick to the issue being asked.

Last edited:
Thanks ZerocoolAstra, you're most probably right,I should try to be more familiar with using his DSLR first.

Thank you very much ziploc, I appreciate it.Will set the camera to "P" if I'm unfamiliar with it.I'll also type in the words properly in future as a courtesy to the rest of the forum members,rather than having them to try to decipher what i'm trying to say:).Being on a courteous mode,I read my thread over and over again,but I dont see me mentioning about being familiar about with using his DSLR,guaranteed of capturing nice photos, and even might want to set the camera to "P" mode.It would be courteous when replying, to just stick to the issue being asked.

I've been shooting since the film era till now, using mainly Nikon cameras. But if someone pass me his Canon camera, I won't be able to use it properly either. My intention is not to imply that you do not know how to use a DSLR, and it is regretted that you read it that way rather than to help you along, even though what you wrote in the 1st post did suggest you are not well versed with one.

Regarding typing properly, there is no need to be sarcastic. As a forum moderator it is my duty to remind whichever member that is exhibiting inappropriate behaviour that would affect other forum members. It is not picking on you.

I've been shooting since the film era till now, using mainly Nikon cameras. But if someone pass me his Canon camera, I won't be able to use it properly either. My intention is not to imply that you do not know how to use a DSLR, and it is regretted that you read it that way rather than to help you along, even though what you wrote in the 1st post did suggest you are not well versed with one.

Regarding typing properly, there is no need to be sarcastic. As a forum moderator it is my duty to remind whichever member that is exhibiting inappropriate behavior that would affect other forum members. It is not picking on you.

congratulations for shooting since the film era till now,it's nice to know.By no means I'm trying to be sarcastic.All I wanted to know was that if it was a good idea to bring an expensive camera on board a boat taking into the consideration of salt,sea water etc.If I wanted to know about the "P" function,my question would be different wouldn't it? I'm no way picking on you as well.I'm kind of confused about "exhibiting inappropriate behaviour that would affect other forum members".There was no intention of that on my part.No offence but what did I post in my earlier post that deemed that?

I am not familiar with fishing trips. If there's a chance you might drop the camera into the water, then I won't do it.

If all you're worried about is splashes, unless the camera is engulfed, light splashes will not do any longlasting harm to it. Neither will the "salty air".

I am not familiar with fishing trips. If there's a chance you might drop the camera into the water, then I won't do it.

If all you're worried about is splashes, unless the camera is engulfed, light splashes will not do any longlasting harm to it. Neither will the "salty air".

This is good advice and it helps lots....thank you very much.

This is good advice and it helps lots....thank you very much.

I would suggest wiping down the camera with a damp cloth after it all, just to get rid of the salt (saltwater is significantly more corrosive than freshwater)... Damp, not soaking wet, and of course on the relevant parts, not say, the sensor, or the lens front element. Hope this helps.

I would suggest wiping down the camera with a damp cloth after it all, just to get rid of the salt (saltwater is significantly more corrosive than freshwater)... Damp, not soaking wet, and of course on the relevant parts, not say, the sensor, or the lens front element. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much again edutilos,it does help.

wipe it clean will be ok. Anyway DSLR is quite durable as long as u dont drop it

Cameras on fishing trips are great for capturing moments. On whether it's a good idea. Consider these.
Keeping hands clean is easy to say,every surface is covered in salt, they don't use freshwater to wash the boat.
When the boat is running there is a constant splash, meaning you'll get a non-stop spray.
When a large fish is on, it's mayham. Rain is another.
I bring my Olympus 800 for such. Not great pics but better than no pics when conditions are not good to bring out the SLR.
With a waterproof camera, you can catch some great underwater shots by sticking it under when the fish is alongside.

Cameras on fishing trips are great for capturing moments. On whether it's a good idea. Consider these.
Keeping hands clean is easy to say,every surface is covered in salt, they don't use freshwater to wash the boat.
When the boat is running there is a constant splash, meaning you'll get a non-stop spray.
When a large fish is on, it's mayham. Rain is another.
I bring my Olympus 800 for such. Not great pics but better than no pics when conditions are not good to bring out the SLR.
With a waterproof camera, you can catch some great underwater shots by sticking it under when the fish is alongside.

your posting gave me a clearer picture and made me realise a few things.It has helped alot and I thank you.