Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
:eek:

!!!! I sell everything I own maybe can only buy the wheels and seats. :D

Well since this is Kopitiam and not Buy and Sell, i thot i would ramble a bit...

For those of you who own cars, how much cash do you fork out for the car on a yearly basis?

i did a balllpark figure with my car-owning fren and came to about $13k - including installments, parking, servicing, petrol, insurance, tax, accesories, repairs, etc; ie total cost of ownership.

$13k is enough to buy a 1Ds for me - and i still get back about half (? guesswork) when a sell it, say, 5 years down the road. A car owner would be (5x13) ~$65k poorer - and it's almost unrecoverable money, except maybe some scrap value.

Of course, this logic doesn't not apply to students or those who are not earning their own keep. But it does make a lot of sense for those who are into photography AND thinking of getting a car.

Does it make sense? Or is this way of thinking totally skewed? Car owners, any comments?

it's a matter of priority. some people NEED a car, some people don't think it's necessary. the money spent can reap intangible rewards such as time saved.

well, u buy a property and 5 years down the road, you MAY even get capital appreciation when u sell it.

it's an unfair comparision, apples to oranges.

Originally posted by ST1100
i did a balllpark figure with my car-owning fren and came to about $13k - including installments, parking, servicing, petrol, insurance, tax, accesories, repairs, etc; ie total cost of ownership.

$13k is enough to buy a 1Ds for me - and i still get back about half (? guesswork) when a sell it, say, 5 years down the road. A car owner would be (5x13) ~$65k poorer - and it's almost unrecoverable money, except maybe some scrap value.

Yes, good analysis... I sense some good advice from "Rich Dad".

According to Rich Dad, a car (in US) is a liability. In singapore, wahh, dunno what word to use!

But I must say the convenience is so tempting that for many, it does little to list the costs and all that.

As a single and one not doing business etc, I'll never buy a car. Not worth it. singapore's transport system is excellent.

Originally posted by kthan
well, u buy a property and 5 years down the road, you MAY even get capital appreciation when u sell it.

it's an unfair comparision, apples to oranges.

Well, i have no interest in property, but i get your point. Maybe i should clarify myself a bit. i'm looking at it from the viewpoint of utility or oppotunity cost. i'm not looking at profit. In any case, a property is not in the same price league as car/camera. The 'apples to oranges' equalizer is in the currency - money/utility.

A car would provide utility, as would (in my case) a 1Ds, and i suspect, for many people on this site too. The reality is that if i push back a car purchase for a year, i would (or could) be richer by one full-frame digital camera, but i'll have to take alternative transport when i go out to shoot. [Or put it another way: if you own a car, what you have *already* paid in the past year would put a 1Ds in your hands - today.]

Hmm.. think i'm not really explaining this very well. Anyway, i think my point is: "Maybe a 1Ds is not so expensive after all". Something like that. [Frenly discussion; pls don't flame me.]

I own a car, and I drive to all corners of Singapore for shooting.
One advantage is, when it rains, I just run inside the car and hide, so my Nikon will not suffer.
Imagine if I had no car, whatever camera I use will sure get wet and damaged.

Hiee....

One of the main reason that i got a car for my family is to ease the moving from point A to Point B.......at my own time and own target. The main reason being the arrival of my little baby girl!!!...
Got the car a week before she was born....

Especially so if you have a hobby....a car does come in handy. As a 1st time car owner....i got myself a 2nd hand car. Small 1 litre car with a monthly fuel expenses of about $130Max.

The ease of sending friends and family around in times of need is great.

You will not earn any money out of owning a car unless you use it for your own business where you earn HEAPS!!!

True enough.....During RAINY days.... a car is obviiously a convenient choice of transport.....

Plus the FREE parking (Thanks FUNDEE for sharing the FREE parking spot)i go for SEED.......what more can you asked for???

TIll then...

Happy driving...

Regards,
me

where is the free parking spot.. heehee.. :D :D :D

Yupz me driving small 1000cc car too.. takes me everywhere in Singapore for photo shoots.. maintenance cheap la still can find cash to develop slides every week :)

if only I have the money...... but then again....... a WRX STI would be my choice...

:bsmilie: :devil:

ANd yes, I was taken aback with the sale of a BMW 318 here.. (ehh.. how come it's not tiptronic but steptronic - though for the 318 series 2 doors version would be already revert to the tiptronic technology for better gear control and performance?)

Originally posted by SniperD
if only I have the money...... but then again....... a WRX STI would be my choice...

:bsmilie: :devil:

ANd yes, I was taken aback with the sale of a BMW 318 here.. (ehh.. how come it's not tiptronic but steptronic - though for the 318 series 2 doors version would be already revert to the tiptronic technology for better gear control and performance?)

actually...it doesn't realli matter whether the tech used is tiptronic or steptronic... as for better gear control or performance...the tech used does not realli affect that...

on the whole, both the 318i(4 dr saloon), the 318ci( 2 dr coupe) and the 318ci cabriolet uses the same engine, 4 cylinders 16valves....on the whole....continental cars with a 2L engine...is no difference from a jap/korean car using a 1.6L engine...the difference in displacement is brought down by the huge difference in mass... anyway... actually not a bad deal.... (99.5k- 28.669k) / 7 yrs= abt 10k+ depreciation a yr.... Buy~ Buy~ BUY!!!
:D

sniperD: rex....Buy~Buy~BUY!!!
;)

Logic is incorrect to just calculate the annual depreciation. The cost of owning a lager capcity car results in higher road tax, higher fuel consumption (definitely higher here), and if it is an european marque such as the BMW here, there is the higher cost of maintenance. Compared to a 1500cc or 1600cc all nippon Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi, you will not only save on lower maintenance costs, better fuel consumption, but the more importantly the lower interest costs from your loan for an equivalent 2 to 3 years old car owing to a lower overall outlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.