Salary range for fresh graduate in IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merciless_Knight said:
My friend fresh grad... work in ermm... very famous software company in the WHOLE WORLD (CEO is the richest man on Earth) starting 2.1K SGD. :bigeyes:

That's why the CEO gets 400 million bucks. But the employees do get free colgate.

maddog said:
That's why the CEO gets 400 million bucks. But the employees do get free colgate.

400 million bucks is peanuts! :cool:

me, non grad, only deploma, get around 2k++, doing helpdesk/client service in mnc. (not very good in english somemore)

coldman said:
me, non grad, only deploma, get around 2k++, doing helpdesk/client service in mnc. (not very good in english somemore)

by today's standards, this is pretty decent.

so far my friends salary are in 1.7 to 2.2 range

Harry Potter said:
so far my friends salary are in 1.7 to 2.2 range

IT fresh grad? Sounds like times are bad for grads.

clicknick said:
IT fresh grad? Sounds like times are bad for grads.

The issue is when there are too many FTs been employed in this fields and their pay is way below what we used to get..... all thanks to the policy makers.... THANK YOU...

what's there to do with policy makers? The decision to go into a particular field is up to each individual.

code said:
what's there to do with policy makers? The decision to go into a particular field is up to each individual.

Sounds like you are not from this field or not aware of what is happening around you or maybe not even working.....

no I am not. I might have sound insensitive in my earlier post and I apologise. But maybe you can explain more for us to have a fuller picture?

Are you referring to issue of hiring from abroad?

Shld be able to get at least 2k for a degree holder(Fresh Grad). My friends are all getting fr 2.2k to 3.2k salary range. Not that bad now.

espn said:
Degree? $1.4-$1.7K.

This figure not really accurate now. Now economy getting slightly better.

A little bit of OT here. I think the IT Industry is going sunset. Of course there are still some parts of IT which are sparkling but in general, it's going downhill.

The signs are here. A few years back, the govt was saying "Hey IT is hot. We need more people. So let's have a Strategic Conversion Manpower Plan for those who want to do IT". Now the SCMP is for nursing. Not IT.

Nowadays a lot of companies also outsource their IT Depts. And tender prices are getting pushed down (cut-throat) such that profit margins have become razor thin. So how to pay the staff high?

Read this article for the real news :
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,39044229,39227945,00.htm

maddog said:
how many years experience?

they worked using diploma for 1-2 years, then went to study uni. then now working in private IT companies using their degrees. some private IT companies are pretty big ones.

It just depends on what is the skill the grad is offering to prospective employer. Not all "IT" skill are in demand, henceforth the grad pay varies

"IT" is quite a broad category, hence the salary range will also be quite wide (compare this to Accounting grads going into account work). The pay is dependent on which area are you going into - programming? tech support/help desk? developer? etc. Each area has its salary range due to the diff job scope and responsibilities.

espn said:
Degree? $1.4-$1.7K.

Wow... For degree holders this pay? Then I can sincerely say it's "peanuts". :) Maybe it's a matter of supply and demand.. Most can pick up IT stuffs... But being good is another matter. My colleagues who are only diploma holders and female somemore working as therapists in hospital can already earn $1.9k within 1 yr working.

If $ is yr concerned n not so much interest in job, i think choosing a rite degree is impt. I dun see y degree holders shld be paid so little and do more...

coldman said:

Me O level, less than 2k without allowance but with it, ard the same as you. Doing data entry works and 12 hrs shift. Got OT, if heng heng, can hit 2.5k the most. (CPF still not deduct yet)

But ok la, still able to own a 4 room, have some hobbies etc... Study too much, got to work long hours and no allowances. But their promotion good and fast, not like mine :(

Anyway, got to be content else will be jealous easily ;)

Yeah that's true. Don't bother about certifications like MCSE, CCNA, SCSA, OCP to help you get a higher pay. Whatever certification you have, those FT will match it. There're also a lot of people with those certifications.

The other thing that they cannot match is your nationality (esp good for working in govt projects), your knowledge of local culture (but this is not a permanent advantage).

Anthony

kitkat said:
It just depends on what is the skill the grad is offering to prospective employer. Not all "IT" skill are in demand, henceforth the grad pay varies

Status
Not open for further replies.